The "Everyday" show-off thread !

For a pretty long time I have tinkered in my head with the idea of setting up a decent media storage PC for my home in a large, spacious chassis. I did a lot of hunting about for cases. Spent hours on the storage threads on other forums trying to figure things out. I initially wanted to pick something up from Fractal Design or Nanoxia (Deep Silence) but the sheer cost of importing them killed the deal. Had my eye on the Antec 1200 (V3) as well but it's non availability didn't really help either. Thus, my next course of action was to get something locally and this fit the bill pretty darn well...

IMAGE00773.jpg

DSCF5215.jpg

DSCF5217.jpg

IMAGE00782.jpg

The Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition Full Tower

The case comes with 2 HDD cages. I had one more unused extra cage from my Corsair Graphite 780T full tower (which presently houses my gaming rig) that I attached into the case making it a total of 3 cages with the ability to house a total of 9 HDD's. An additial 4 HDD's can be attached in the upper 5.25" bay area via a separate 4-in-3 device module should the need arise. The case is huge with loads of room for working inside, has great cooling options, lovely rubber grommets for easy cabling and best part is all my drives can be slapped into it's belly without any problems at all. Large, filtered and a silent unit... perfect for my needs.

What motherboard you planning?
What os for storage purpose
Pls post your set up as I also need to do same for media storage at home.

What would be your back up strategy ?

What motherboard you planning?
What os for storage purpose
Pls post your set up as I also need to do same for media storage at home.

What would be your back up strategy ?

Hi Pratikb,

I have an i3-2120 and a Gigabyte H61 based motherboard idling about in their boxes. I also did get a new CPU cooler (as the stock cooler on the i3 processor was a little wonky) along with SATA Controller cards for more SATA ports. Will be slapping these in this rig. This will be a TV show and Movie dump station which will be connected to a UPS and switched on 24/7. Important, older family photographs and documents I will be keeping multiple copies on this and also on my main PC. Just to be safe, should one fail.

Will be using a flavor of Windows 7 and all my PC's across the house are connected via LAN cable. I don't want to over complicate things, simple is what works for me.

I prefer the ease and versatility of a PC. To each his own I guess. I did thing about getting a Synalogy at one point but there are warranty issues here in Kolkata.
You need to worry about the warranty of the disk more than that of the NAS. Mine is running strong for 10 years. 2 HDDs failed, I suspect because of unexpected power cut.

Some more components for my storage rig...

DSCF5230.jpg

DSCF5233.jpg

IO Crest 2 Port SATA III PCI-Express x1 Card SY-PEX40039 (2 of them).

DSCF5235.jpg

DSCF5236.jpg

DSCF5237.jpg

Antec Spot Cool 100 Gooseneck Fan (For cooling the SATA cards)

IMAGE00615.jpg

IMAGE00614.jpg

Cooler Master 212 Hyper Turbo Edition (with XtraFlo 120mm Fans X2)

DSCF5226.jpg

DSCF5227.jpg

Thermaltake Riing 12 Ultra Low Noise Hydraulic Bearing [CL-F038-PL12BU-A] Fans (3 of them).

IMAGE00634.jpg

WD Blue WD20EZRZ Drives (3 of them).

More items on the way... thanks for looking!

Last edited:
When am4 launch I called corsair cc for my new sealed h115 gtx and they said it's priced at 2k ..
I was like hunn :(

Then I sold it out ..

NOCTUA is an example of a how must be a after sales support ..
This simple small thing makes tham the best of the best ...

Got the Storage Server at home setup, she is up and running, distributing data through LAN to other PC's and TV's in my house:

DSCF5244.jpg

DSCF5240.jpg

DSCF5251.jpg

IMAGE00811.jpg

IMAGE00860.jpg

I call her the "Dark Dame". She holds 10TB currently. Runs on a diet flavor of Windows 7 and operates 24/7.

Specs:
i3-2120, Gigabyte GA-H61M-WW, Cooler Master 212 Turbo (Red Shroud Edition - Push Pull), 2 X 2GB G.Skill Ripjaws X, 60GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe SSD (OS), 2 X IO Crest SY-PEX40039 2 Port SATA III Cards, Corsair GS800, APC BackUPS RS 600.

Cooling: 3 X Thermaltake Riing 12 Ultra Low Noise Hydraulic Bearing [CL-F038-PL12BU-A] Fans, 2 X CM XtraFlo 120mm Fans, 1 X CM SickleFlow 120mm Fan, 2 X Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition Fans, 1 X Lian Li 120mm LI121225SL Fan, 1 X Antec Gooseneck Spotcool 100 Fan.

Storage: 10TB (Mix of WD Green & WD Blue platters).

Display: Dell ST2320L (Mostly used for maintaining/ updating PLEX libraries and HDD Temperature monitoring).

Last edited:
Back