PC Peripherals The Eternal Outdated Rig blues

[RANK="http://www.techenclave.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3232"]The 10k pc [/RANK] thats come out ,talked bout havin the bare minimum features by avoiding a lot of extra processing and other specs.Which raises a question of ..."dow we need all that muscle that keeps ramping up every day ?!" .How long does it take for a pc to be updated ,coz we'r always catching up to gaming reqmt specs wherever processor mftr's add to gaming specs,and then the gaming specs increase even further,in a never ending loop.Buts its also true that onece uve ried something,u cant go back !

So when do we stop the race and decide to settle for a rig ?!

PS: (yup ,my rig is 3-4 years now,and thats why the emotion :p )

Personally I feel software is to blame for all of this.

Modern day software just keeps getting bigger and bloated compelling us to get faster and faster machines. I get the feeling programmers aren't trying to optimise their applications to make do with smaller requirements. Anyone who's seen WinXP minimum system requirements will laugh, cause you need atleast 4 times the specified sys requirements to run winXP smoothly. Fancy interfaces, beautiful graphics in programs all take up a heavy chunk of system resources.

I find there are always alternatives to apps that take less of a hit on system resources. Finding out alternatives is what makes the 10K PC run quite effectively. Had WinXP been on it, it would've brought it to a crawl.

Another theory is , software people work hand-in-hand with the hardware manufacturers. You know, AMD hardware guys say - "ok buddy make me some 64-bit software , so we can show off the new Athlon 64 processor". but of course this is just an assumption :eek:hyeah:

But do think about it, what if something like Doom was capable of running on a Geforce2 at full resolution and details, would anyone have bothered getting a Geforce 6 series card?

Well if you buy really deascent PC today then uo can expect it to last for 2 years at MAX with deascent performance taking into consideration overclocking.
After that it really start to age out fast, modern games really start to show slide shows.
2 years itself is streatching it to max.

I am talking about a gamer here. The longest life cycle with deascent performance was seen in the era of P3 and then in the era of AthlonXP.
Things are moing a bit faster today with dualcore becomming a reality. Who knows what we will have 2 years from now.

It all depends on your usage basically if you do not game, a PC should easily last 4 years. Hell I can live with my P2, only cant play any games. Infact Ujjwal has a 200 mhz CPU and its doing fine for him, you just need to know some basic tweaking of softwares. For a PC with clockspeeds of below 500 mhz, instal Win 2000

Crazy_Eddy said:
I get the feeling programmers aren't trying to optimise their applications to make do with smaller requirements.

hmm problem with optimizing is that then it runs well on some platforms than another right ? similar to doom running better on nvidia cards etc

similar reason all games run well on ps is cause they are optimized to run for a single platform alone right ?

well if u look into 'longitivity' i think amd does a better job,i remember when the p3 and p4s speeds were escalating very frequently ,the AMD fans were still happy with their slower speed of 'evolution' . ofcourse then they cameup with the 64bit,before intel ..anyway, what it laso does though is that second sales increase and u end up getting older machines far cheaper. You can get a p2 for 4k now,so you end up with either vvery fast rigs or the lowend.people cant dont want to stay in the middle anymore.

Crazy_Eddy said:
Modern day software just keeps getting bigger and bloated compelling us to get faster and faster machines.

me agrees with ya.. i still install Acrobat reader 5 coz it is lite and fast.. Same goes for using ACDSee Classic.. I dont need Acrobat Reader 6 nor ACDSee 6 nor Power DVD 6.. I am happy with the older ones.. atleast tehy are simple/less consuming on resources n fast..

TheMask said:
me agrees with ya.. i still install Acrobat reader 5 coz it is lite and fast.. Same goes for using ACDSee Classic.. I dont need Acrobat Reader 6 nor ACDSee 6 nor Power DVD 6.. I am happy with the older ones.. atleast tehy are simple/less consuming on resources n fast..

A bit offtopic, but Foxit PDF Reader is a great tool for reading PDF files. It works like a charm. More info [RANK="www.foxit.com"]here[/RANK].
Its just over a MB, loads blazing fast, and is compatible with most PDF documents. :clap: :hap2:

I ran my last computer for 5 and 1/2 yrs, config similar to Ujjwal's, but had to get a new one, cos I am in comp engg, and there is a limit to what u can do on an older comp.

Why do you think I bought this super expensive rig of mine?
I absolutely HAD to buy at that point, so I decided I would buy me one that would last. Considering that, I will probably be leaving home in a couple of years, this will do fine for my parents needs for a long time.
I lost interest in gaming a long time ago, I find that the new generation of games lack gameplay and concentrate only on gfx.

I lost interest in gaming a long time ago, I find that the new generation of games lack gameplay and concentrate only on gfx.

Bang on though I like eyecandy but not at the expense of gameplay. Infact it will be great if they can make games Deus Ex, HOMM, CIV series anymore.

hmm my first rig lasted for 5 years.. then the second one lasted for 4..
i upgraded the second rig cause it would`nt play any games and i had t oinstall a graphix card..
so i got a new comp!!!
my card is geforce 4 mx 440 se.. and if you have been keeping a closr eye on the games released this year. a lot of them do not support MX :(( ... and now its only been 2 years! damn..
seriously if you d`nt game your rig can last you for quite a bit of time .. but if you.. do then.. it really doesnt last for much. esp if you always want everything to run at higher resolutions with all eye candy..

well if u go into gaming and 3d stuff u need to keep upgrading but for wordprocessing and browsing a 266mhz 6 yrs old is enough for and I am still using it with XP SP2 :p

Back