The EDC (Everyday Carry) Thread

letmein

Skilled
I thought it might be fun to see some desi EDC. It refers to things that are always 'on' you when you step out of your house.

Everyday Carry, or EDC, generally refers to small items or gadgets worn, carried, or made available in pockets, holsters, or bags on a daily basis to manage common tasks or for use in unexpected situations or emergencies. In a broader sense, it is a lifestyle, discipline, or philosophy of preparedness.

Here's a wonderful site to get started:

And a forum in case you need to ask some questions

Here's my EDC:

-HMT Pilot on standard strap
-Blackberry Z10 in felt case (Work Phone)
-Nivea Lip Balm
-Aluminum case to hold my visiting cards
-Saddleback Leather Narrow Bifold Wallet
-Bic Ball Pen I got at a conference - my primary pen
-Cheapo handkerchief you get from Sarojni Nagar
- Fisher Bullet Space Pen - my secondary pen
-Hippo Groove earphones
-Thinkpad X201 - work laptop
-Sony Xperia Z (Personal phone not pictured - used for taking photo)

Let's see yours!

EDC.JPG

This is my list.. (on work days)

Dell Latitude Laptop
Nexus 7 2012 (for watching TV series) and its charger and cable
iPhone 4S (main and only phone) and its cable
Bluedio Bluetooth headset and its charging cable + JVC Marshmallows to go with it (modded using cello tape to make the length short)
Sound magic PL11 earphones (if the bluetooth ones die)
Normal ainol non in-ear type earphones (to listen to radio etc at work).
Sansa Clip+ for the radio (stupid iphone does not have radio..sucks)
Parker Pen (100 Rs one)
Post It Note stack
Timex Expedition Watch
Finally..Swiss Gear Backpack to carry all this.

No Pic sorry.

This is my list.. (on work days)

Dell Latitude Laptop
Nexus 7 2012 (for watching TV series) and its charger and cable
iPhone 4S (main and only phone) and its cable
Bluedio Bluetooth headset and its charging cable + JVC Marshmallows to go with it (modded using cello tape to make the length short)
Sound magic PL11 earphones (if the bluetooth ones die)
Normal ainol non in-ear type earphones (to listen to radio etc at work).
Sansa Clip+ for the radio (stupid iphone does not have radio..sucks)
Parker Pen (100 Rs one)
Post It Note stack
Timex Expedition Watch
Finally..Swiss Gear Backpack to carry all this.

No Pic sorry.
What's your work, I read TV series, radio... For you info, buy one retractable multi cable which I use, it has 30pin apple, mini and micro USB pin from callmate and nexus charger to go with.

Mine
LG g2
Casio riseman
Chepo handkerchief
And a designer wallet bought from inkfruit

What's your work, I read TV series, radio... For you info, buy one retractable multi cable which I use, it has 30pin apple, mini and micro USB pin from callmate and nexus charger to go with.

Mine
LG g2
Casio riseman
Chepo handkerchief
And a designer wallet bought from inkfruit

Software Guy :)

Yeah the idea of retractable cable is actually pretty good. I will do that. Any suggestion (may be PM to not crap the thread), it is important that it should have Nokia thin pin charger since my bluetooth uses that. But for the iPhone cable i feel it may not do data connection to PC, only charging. Not that i need to everyday but still.

Woo, we have a EDC thread — awesome!

I recently tipped past a BMI of 40 and relatives have told me that I closely resemble a small whale so I've started going out on random photo walks. That has now sparked an interest into this 'hobby' so here I am.

I've been aware of the 'edc lifestyle' for a while now, mostly as a curious observer. My personal rules are simple: buy/use stuff that'll be helpful when I'm out and try to stay at under Rs 500 per purchase.

On to the first group of EDC gear — tools! Captions will be below images.

240430-231556.jpg

Pictured are a 5" vice grip by Taparia (Rs 342), a generic bike tool (Rs 189), a rechargeable COB light (Rs 119) and a pen-sized mini screw driver (Rs 179):

240430-231647.jpg

I don't really need all of the tools in the multitool so I might take it apart to make it lighter.

Next up is scissors!

240430-231740.jpg

That's a 130mm scissors by Maped (Rs 83), a 108mm one by Munix (Rs 59) and a folding 112mm also by Munix (Rs 164). I got a few sizes to try out, I'll be using the 108mm one. The folding one is cool but I'll probably end up stabbing myself with it — the folding mechanism does not inspire confidence.

240430-231812.jpg

Size comparison with an AMD processor.

And now, bags, specifically, chest bags!

240430-232234.jpg

This is a pretty cool one by Wildhorn (Rs 559). It's really small, and has a flap. Flaps make bags look way cooler, in my opinion.

240430-232305.jpg

It's able to easily hold two of my plastic toy film cameras (Superheadz's version of the VUWS with a 'Super Fat Lens' haha and their 'Golden Half' half frame camera).

240430-232402.jpg

The outer wall of this front compartment under the flap is padded, the inner wall isn't.

240430-232432.jpg

The main compartment is really long but unpadded.

240430-232508.jpg

There's a rear compartment which is also padded on the outside like the front one, but the inner wall is unpadded, just like the front one.

240430-232842.jpg

Size comparison with a sheet of A4 paper. It's a nice bag with good zippers and zipper pulls. I wish the main compartment was padded, and maybe if it was slightly bigger.

The other bag I found was one of the many, many clones of the NIID FINO:

240430-232812.jpg

This one is by Bagstrapp, it's available on Amazon but cheaper with coupon on AJIO. I liked this over the others because it's larger and has four zippered compartments, instead of three. There's no rear compartment. The strap is padded but the bag itself is completely unpadded. Zippers aren't the best but the price is pretty amazing — Rs 267 on AJIO!

240430-233105.jpg

I got this for carrying around my Maxxum 7 film slr, and it fits easily.

240430-233246.jpg

It bulks up pretty gracefully, since the zipper areas are double folded for expansion.

240430-233343.jpg

There's space leftover in the outer compartments for other stuff.

240430-233359.jpg

That's it for now. I want explore more bag options, especially for carrying cameras and accessories.

If this is something that you're interested in, do share what you have/carry/like!

Last edited:
They have an acronym for everything !!
I suppose I would be a minimalist then - wallet, mobile and watch.
I don't need to carry anything else to office as we have a locker and the commute is a small one.

I suppose I would be a minimalist then - wallet, mobile and watch.

That was me for all of my life up until now. I don't really need any of this, but it's nice to have and gives me something to fixate on while I'm trying hard not to think of pizzas or cheesecakes.

I might have needed a screwdriver in just two situations in the last five years, and both times I was able to buy one from a store nearby.

This tool looked cool in the photos and product pages but it's not a very well made so I'm using it as a paperweight at home:

240505-230210.jpg

The more expensive bags have all kinds of internal organization and compartments which directly translates to higher price tags because of the physical labour involved.

So instead, I'm going to make my own organization with smaller bags/pouches and use simple bags that have a single main compartment.

In that understanding, I got this mesh pencil case from Wooum for Rs 129:

240505-230343.jpg

It holds everything with plenty of space for more. I'm also very surprised with how much better everything is these days. This pencil case's quality is far better than expected, stuff just wasn't this nice back in my school days. But then I don't think I've ever spent over Rs 100 for a pencil case back then. It's really nice to see how far we've come with these kind of quality-of-life improvements. That statement is probably a little hyperbolic for a pencil case though.

Next up is shoulder bags!

This one is also by Bagstrapp, it has thin but noticeable padding and costs Rs 299:

240505-230440.jpg

It's a smaller size but built to a much higher standard than the chest bag in the other post above. Zippered areas are double folded for expandability in the same way.

240505-230521.jpg

The front compartment is thin and unpadded.

240505-230459.jpg

The rear compartment is also thin and unpadded.

240505-231010.jpg

But it holds these two cameras nicely and the middle compartment is padded. This is an 80's point and shoot camera, the Ricoh AF-5 and another plastic toy camera by Superheadz called "Blackbird, fly".

240505-230944.jpg

Overall I like this bag a lot for the smaller size and padding.

This second bag is from a company called "Mike's Bags." It's sold by Firstcry.com as the 'Trinity Sling Bag' and is advertised as having a volume of 3L. I got it for Rs 365 after a coupon.

240505-231115.jpg

This bag feels like it has much more premium materials than all of the other bags so far, but it is completely unpadded.

240505-231254.jpg

It has three compartments in total. I haven't been able to find this bag on mikesbags.com.

240505-231411.jpg

The main compartment can hold the pencil case easily, and it has two pockets for two of my smaller cameras. There's plenty of space for a third camera left.

This last bag is from Amazon and was Rs 449, but the price went up to 549 during this current sale:

240505-231521.jpg

It is the largest one I've got so far, completely dwarfing the A4 sheet of paper. There's an unpadded compartment in the flap.

240505-231624.jpg

There's an unpadded compartment in the back.

240505-231644.jpg

Under the flap is a lower padded compartment and an upper unpadded compartment. The velcro is loud-ish.

240505-231737.jpg

The lower padded compartments hold these cameras comfortably.

240505-231827.jpg

There's an internal zippered compartment in the main compartment and the main compartment is padded.

This bag holds a lot of stuff but it might be a little too big for daily use. It's also grey, not black.

I think that's it for now for bags, I've got two chest bags in two sizes and three shoulder bags in three sizes, so I'm pretty much covered for a wide range of EDC moods/needs.

I am still looking for a traditional camera bag with more trending features like the ability to open up like a cosmetic bag but not have everything fall out.

Something like this with a shoulder strap:

Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 12.48.59 AM.png

It would hopefully resemble the McKinnon/Nomatic 8L camera sling that sells for five digits:

medium.jpeg

Maybe a generic leather bag with the cosmetic case as an insert? I'll need to do some more research on that.

I wanted to start this thread sometime ago, wasn't too sure. I have different EDC for each situation weekend, travel, work, et al.

Here's what I currently have in pockets or wearing.

1. Sony DSC TX55 from 2011, Its among smallest and thinnest digital camera Sony has. Mostly using it for street photography.
2. Bellroy Slim wallet.
3. Ekster key holder. Among the keys is a multi tool that helps with opening packages, bottle opener, etc.
4. HMT Janata, millennium edition with TBC.
5. OP11, my current work phone.
6. S23, my phone.

IMG_1067.JPG

Back