The Dead Space thread!

asingh said:
I just found it difficult (initially) that the 'aim' system took a while. Slightly laggy -- just nitpicking here...!
It was adopted from Resident Evil 4. You would have to stop, aim and then shoot. It was supposed to mount more tension when you had a larger group of enemies approaching you. It was more scarier in RE4 though, especially when you had those Chainsaw weilding mo-fos coming at you. Most of the action elements were reminiscent of RE4.

RE5

Dead Space

Bioshock

All three of these games, their shooting mechanisms made my head roll and made me dizzy..... RE5 was sooo dumbed down

Bioshock, interesting, i dunno if the game has aspect ratio issues cuz nothign seemed right, it was all either too stretched or something else that kept making me feel uneasy. All UE3 games do that to me.

comp@ddict said:
RE5

Dead Space

Bioshock

All three of these games, their shooting mechanisms made my head roll and made me dizzy..... RE5 was sooo dumbed down

Bioshock, interesting, i dunno if the game has aspect ratio issues cuz nothign seemed right, it was all either too stretched or something else that kept making me feel uneasy. All UE3 games do that to me.
Give up FPS/TPS or take motion sickness pills before gaming...!

:)

@Ethan:

Thanks, for the nice explanation. Game lord as always.

Looks like i too am starting to get the motion sickness of FPS games. The last two FPS games I played Halo : combat evolved and Half Life, I left them after playing an hour. I dont know, I used to play lot of FPS games before. These days its only TPS. I tried playing Modern Warfare again but left it coz it started giving me a headache.

It's a weird thing. I have had some of my friend complain about motion sickness with Quake III: Arena. They say that the action is so fast that their eyes can't adapt to it & prolonged sessions leads to a headache. I have played for hours without issues. Off late though, my right arm's been acting up real bad after a few continous sessions of any hack-en-slash games. :(

Motion sickness? LOL. :p

Never had any problems like these even with the most goriest of games. :p

But I can't stand those movies like Hostel and the likes. :ashamed:

sugat123 said:
Looks like i too am starting to get the motion sickness of FPS games. The last two FPS games I played Halo : combat evolved and Half Life, I left them after playing an hour. I dont know, I used to play lot of FPS games before. These days its only TPS. I tried playing Modern Warfare again but left it coz it started giving me a headache.

Try to play from a distance. Keep the monitor as far as possible.
Ethan_Hunt said:
It's a weird thing. I have had some of my friend complain about motion sickness with Quake III: Arena. They say that the action is so fast that their eyes can't adapt to it & prolonged sessions leads to a headache. I have played for hours without issues. Off late though, my right arm's been acting up real bad after a few continous sessions of any hack-en-slash games. :(
This is repetitive strain. You game to much...! :)

Ethan_Hunt said:
my right arm's been acting up real bad after a few continous sessions of any hack-en-slash games. :(
I had the same feeling after playing NGS. I swear I had the time of my life after beating the last level! :mad:

Too much gaming can be actually stressful on your body whether it is a TPS or FPS. I remember the time when I had to go to a Ortho because I developed severe swellings on my finger joints after a marathon 12 hrs of Rachet and Clank in PS2. Hell, I had to train my left hand to use the mouse because of constant FPS usage. As for Dead Space, to quote Ars Technica, a little pee came out before I finished the first level. Uninstalled the game, played Peggle and made myself happy.

asingh said:
Try to play from a distance. Keep the monitor as far as possible.

I always try to keep as much distance between me and the monitor. Since my table has separate extensions for mouse and keyboard, the distance between my eyes and monitor is almost 3ft. It has started affecting me very recently. I play any FPS game, I get bored within an hour. I get a little headache too. I am unable to continue hence i leave the game.

asingh said:
This is repetitive strain. You game to much...! :)

Actually, I don't game much these days. After work, I just come home, crash, watch a movie or two/hang out with friends and go to sleep. It's only on weekends that I have a 2-3 hour session of Borderlands co-op with my online buddies. Then when I finally pick up Ninety Nine Nights II on my 360, I feel a slight pain creeping in on my shoulder. I guess it's because my right hand is stressed out with extensive mouse usage at work. It's always in a stretched out position. I'm trying to avoid these activities and give a sufficient gap between each gaming session. But I have never experienced motion sickness till date. I guess hearing about it & experiencing it is completely different.

Dead Space looks great, I've uploaded a video on youtube only recently.

Apparently in chapter 7. I am playing Resident Evil 4 as well, they're both quite different.

if you're afraid of playing a horror game that you know is really good, turn your winamp or itunes on outside and play some fun music or have some heavy metal in the background. it makes all the difference. atleast you won't miss out on the amazing gameplay experience. this is what i did with doom 3 on highest difficulty while playing it for the first time with my lights off.

Back