The bang for buck Saga

greenhorn said:
whoops . my bad. i meant 3/4 inch :ashamed:

My dad's old panasonic hi fi boxen were sealed 1/2 inch or so, and towards the end of their lives, the boxes themselves began to add their own trademark bass boost :p

so you think a 12" in a sealed box will get faster bass than a 10" in a ported enclosure ? I guess its a risk free strategy, so many ways to go wrong with a ported box done improperly.

I'm not sure about their reinforcing though. Dont think I'll have a lot to say about the construction. The Amp is a normal class AB amp with discrete FET's amd an LPF at the output. heck, i think it costs ~ 500 bucks for the amp PCB with components.

since the main speakers are driven off a 12W RMS minicompo . think the amp power will be sufficient. they asked me to get a 27-0-27 transformer to power it . They said 4A should do fine, But I'm getting a 5A just in case :)

hello mallu,i'm frm tvm 2.doing elec: as a hobby for da past 8-9 yrs.the bolton dealer is an old frnd of mine.i know the dainty dealer n da sardarji.i hv bought spkrs frm all dese fellas.the dainty dealer(tv traders) is one of da oldest traders @ tkrpmb.da sub u wer talkin abt is der for da past few yrs.no 1 wil buy it i guess.and da amp u bought frm bolton dealer(hari sree) is really good.i am usin it too for the past few yrs.i hv a few of dem in hand.its sleek (SMD) n powerfull enuf.i am usin it in a stereo set up (hom hifi) i use 27-0-27 4 amp for each channel along wid individual power supply boards(min: of 20,000 mfd keltron or nippon).separate pre amps (NE,TLO..etc)a secret told to me by da bolton guy few months ago...no more original boltons r available in tvm!!!so dats y i treasure my bolton 10" subs.i hav used almost all kinds of spkrs..frm dainty,zipp,trytone,toyotone,[philips,osaka,YP](dese were gd n originals not available in here,try pondy,got my YP's frm der),imported original panasonic super woofers rated 16 ohms(7")!!..but hell none of dem gives da solid bass & volume my bolton babies produce(@ dat time dese boltons wer mere 1.6k each).i used high Q 1" chip wood n A cls gls wul in my sub boxes(made by highly recomm: veteran box maker in tvm.cost Rs.6k).used good Q wires 2.da best connectors avail: in tvm is MX.

Attachments

• Image036.jpg
    Image036.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 544
greenhorn said:
yup. thats true. Will have to see how it works out :D

forgot to say dat mine is a 2.2 system consistin of two 10" bolton subs n sats(sats consists of bolton white 6" mid woofer & metal domes,not frm tvm.only dupli in tvm).so a total of 4 boxes & four mosfet amps(kinda bi-amping effect:) )tk cr!

guys which language do u speak ??...:huh:

errr i dint get even 5 % of what u guys r talking ...i guess its beyond my current capacity :ashamed: :ashamed:
and where did u get such hi funda audio knowledge from ??

WOW! thanks for the advice shershah. So no more boltons available ? maybe thats why the dealer has been saying 2 more days for the last one month .

Are keltron caps any good ?

Man, i wish I'd bought a bolton sub 4 years ago instead of the crappy xplod 12" i have now , and i think it is a refurb one :mad:

greenhorn said:
And welcome to the forum. We need more knowledgeable people like you, and more mallus too!:hap2:

tnx lot frnd,i had a booklet on sony products which i got frm a sony dealer in tvm.the red sony xplod 12"(350W...polyprop i guess) is an average stuff.the aluminium cone 12" xplod is better(500W rms).frm da same bolton dealer,u can get BJT based high power(around 300W rms)sub amps(also used as guitar amps)bridge it & u will get around 500W.all u need is 45-0-45 8A(minimum) transformer(bridged=45-0-45,15A wud do fine) & u r good to go.aluminium cone is heavier than poly,will give tight bass.i prefer sealed sub enclosures for smaller woofers(8" max:,real tigh bass,good for snoop dogg & linkin park kinda stuff).if u need 2nd hand bolton woofers,let me know..dere is dis guy(owns a medical store)who has a pair,likes to sell it(1.5yrs approx: in good condition..newly married..no more boom...boom).i assembled him new boxes with twin 5" woofers & dome in each.he is stuck on 1.5k for 10" pair(750*2)..i assembled da system for him..10" wid da spkr boxes(big though) 6k(fixed)..frm my point of view not bad..i build da whole sys for 14k:D ..let me know if any1 needs it.good for home use..not bad for car use(trunk will be full:( )

greenhorn said:
WOW! thanks for the advice shershah. So no more boltons available ? maybe thats why the dealer has been saying 2 more days for the last one month .

Are keltron caps any good ?

Man, i wish I'd bought a bolton sub 4 years ago instead of the crappy xplod 12" i have now , and i think it is a refurb one :mad:

keltron caps r good considering the quality of pcbs available in tvm..few yrs b4 i used samsung capacitors(still got one as a sample)..nippon is good..but i stick with keltron(lots of duplis around)..consider using bridge diodes..not like good old times..tvm now hav loads of dupli stuff..all from local to the company items..sony,pioneer,kenwood..jst name it:( ..be carefull!!! being in dis field for some time helped me a bit(i can find genuine stuff in & out of tvm:D )dats all..take care ppl!:)

well guys i have made several subwoofers has a hobby my last subwoofe was 12inch. i bought a bolton 12inch sub costs Rs1600 which was rated 100watts @ 8ohms it was fitted to a 18 by 18inch MDF enclosure,i bought the enclosure which was prebuilt it was a bandpass enclosure ,and the design according to the shop guy was copied from a jamo subwoofer,neverthless i paid 800 bucks for it ,as for as amplifier ,i choose to power it up via sony car amplifier which was rated at 90watts continous or 222watts max power(in bridge mode).
so after connecting i power it up and to my suprise there was very less bass.so less ,that a regular boombox will give more bass.so the next day i went back to shop where i bought the enclosure and let him know that hi enclosure box sucks ,which he admitted.but what suprised me was there was a 10inch bolton sub fitted to a similar size enclosure which just shook the shop reason being that it was based on a bass reflex design similar to a z5500 sub.

so i modified the bandpass sub enclosure to a bass reflex design similar to z5500(easier said than done) and powered it up,this time u can hear the bass loud and clear,the bass also is not irritating like the one u hear in cars ,it now compliments my gigaworks S700 sub,while the gigaworks sub make sure i hear the explosions in saving private ryan ,my custom designed sub make sure i feel the explosions,

the drawbacks of my design is that u will need a battery to power the car amplifier,it will rattle ur neigbours windows ,doors(in my case which led to a fight between me and my neigbours)also increased cracks i my house and my neigbours .

by the way i had made this sub 4years ago,last time i switched it on is over a year ago.

adder said:
well guys i have made several subwoofers has a hobby my last subwoofe was 12inch. i bought a bolton 12inch sub costs Rs1600 which was rated 100watts @ 8ohms it was fitted to a 18 by 18inch MDF enclosure,i bought the enclosure which was prebuilt it was a bandpass enclosure ,and the design according to the shop guy was copied from a jamo subwoofer,neverthless i paid 800 bucks for it ,as for as amplifier ,i choose to power it up via sony car amplifier which was rated at 90watts continous or 222watts max power(in bridge mode).
so after connecting i power it up and to my suprise there was very less bass.so less ,that a regular boombox will give more bass.so the next day i went back to shop where i bought the enclosure and let him know that hi enclosure box sucks ,which he admitted.but what suprised me was there was a 10inch bolton sub fitted to a similar size enclosure which just shook the shop reason being that it was based on a bass reflex design similar to a z5500 sub.

so i modified the bandpass sub enclosure to a bass reflex design similar to z5500(easier said than done) and powered it up,this time u can hear the bass loud and clear,the bass also is not irritating like the one u hear in cars ,it now compliments my gigaworks S700 sub,while the gigaworks sub make sure i hear the explosions in saving private ryan ,my custom designed sub make sure i feel the explosions,

the drawbacks of my design is that u will need a battery to power the car amplifier,it will rattle ur neigbours windows ,doors(in my case which led to a fight between me and my neigbours)also increased cracks i my house and my neigbours .

by the way i had made this sub 4years ago,last time i switched it on is over a year ago.

i think i'm familiar with the woofer u r talking about.a bolton 10" 60 Watt 8 ohm cost me Rs.1600.there is this sardarji's shop @ tvm.he once had two models of 100 watt 12" bolton priced at 1600 and 2200.i truly believe dat the 1600 stuff is not good.i heard both the models and the 2200 was much better.there was only one 2200 model and at the moment i was hearing it one guy came in and bought that woofer.i think the sony car amp u r talking about is a red colored car stereo sized amp.it can giv 222Watts when bridged.its there beginner version and used to cost 3500 a few years back(i think its out of production)there is no use in copying a jamo design(if this isnt there gimmick)for a bolton.there's really few ppl who know how to build good enclosures in tvm.i'm only familiar with two box makers.boxes must be atleast 3/4" MDF,perfect porting unless a sealed design,measurements.u r lucky to hav a speaker box for 800 bucks.i paid 6000 for a pair(they call it kenwood stereo design).all i need to do is raise the volume of amp to 3 and glasses of my window and showcase shiver so bad dat i had to insert paper bits in between the glasses.the volume can go upto a healthy 6 out of 10 with no noticeable distortion.just press ur 12" woofer cone to see if it moves up and down very easly or its little tight.i hav been told that its very difficult to get original boltons.gud nite!:)

i have a subwoofer 8" one.it is placed in closed enclosure made by me.

the problem is that i don't get any tight bass.and also lot of distortion.

iam sure it's due to the enclosure.i have no idea abt the enclosure design.pls enlight me.....thanks..

btw me also frm kerala(kottayam)

it is a subwoofer amplifier forget the number of ic and also an active filter with three op amps.subwoofer brand i forget but low price one .8" for rs.450/

btw my power supply is not that good.12-0 transformer(5a) feeding +-12volts and capacitors value is only 4200uf.but voltage not going below 13volts.

shershah said:
i think i'm familiar with the woofer u r talking about.a bolton 10" 60 Watt 8 ohm cost me Rs.1600.there is this sardarji's shop @ tvm.he once had two models of 100 watt 12" bolton priced at 1600 and 2200.i truly believe dat the 1600 stuff is not good.i heard both the models and the 2200 was much better.there was only one 2200 model and at the moment i was hearing it one guy came in and bought that woofer.i think the sony car amp u r talking about is a red colored car stereo sized amp.it can giv 222Watts when bridged.its there beginner version and used to cost 3500 a few years back(i think its out of production)there is no use in copying a jamo design(if this isnt there gimmick)for a bolton.there's really few ppl who know how to build good enclosures in tvm.i'm only familiar with two box makers.boxes must be atleast 3/4" MDF,perfect porting unless a sealed design,measurements.u r lucky to hav a speaker box for 800 bucks.i paid 6000 for a pair(they call it kenwood stereo design).all i need to do is raise the volume of amp to 3 and glasses of my window and showcase shiver so bad dat i had to insert paper bits in between the glasses.the volume can go upto a healthy 6 out of 10 with no noticeable distortion.just press ur 12" woofer cone to see if it moves up and down very easly or its little tight.i hav been told that its very difficult to get original boltons.gud nite!:)
well i got it for 1600 after a lot of bargaining at that time this was the most expensive 12inch bolton the nest was a 15inch version which costs 3700.these prices are 4year ago.
as far as the amplifier it gives 90watts continous in bridge mode(222max) i got it for 2500 in the grey market,at that time amp kits were expensive a low pass filter circuit itself used to cost 600+.so i taught its best to get a car amplifier,best part is i dont hear the hiss sound even at max volume, reason being powered by battery.

the shop guy first quoted a price of 1100 for the enclosure since the design was changed from the demo piece and it sucked he refunded 300 bucks.the enclosure which i have is covered with a sticker which fools the eye of a rose wood finish.

and just a year ago my friend wanted a similar box but we decided to make it from scratch.the MDF wood itself will cost u around 600,plus the adhesive and labour(cutting,trimming,etc).

also guys beware there are fake boltons called polton.my first subwoofer project was a 8inch and it had a polton costs 450,it sucked,i than replaced it with a 8inch bolton costs 750 and boy what a differrence.

dracul said:
it is a subwoofer amplifier forget the number of ic and also an active filter with three op amps.subwoofer brand i forget but low price one .8" for rs.450/

btw my power supply is not that good.12-0 transformer(5a) feeding +-12volts and capacitors value is only 4200uf.but voltage not going below 13volts.

please do post the IC number. ideally you need a brawny MOSFET/BJT amp driving the sub. good high power chip amps are hard to get around here.

same for the sub. dont expect anything that great from a cheap 8 incher. It might beat a creative 2.1 ( it has a 5 inch sub) but dont expect it to be on par with a proper 8 inch sub, and 8 inchers arent that great in the first place :p

dracul said:
i have a subwoofer 8" one.it is placed in closed enclosure made by me.
the problem is that i don't get any tight bass.and also lot of distortion.
iam sure it's due to the enclosure.i have no idea abt the enclosure design.pls enlight me.....thanks..
btw me also frm kerala(kottayam)

cant simply blame the enclosure alone(thou it plays a big role).it will b gr8 help if u cud post da details of ur 8" woofer,wats the measurement of ur enclosure and wat wood hav u used to build it?i guess u must be using LA4440 which normally works in 12V DC,LA4508 which needs 15V DC,there is this TDA2003 which also works in 12V DC single suppy,TDA2030 in 12V DC dual supply.try changin ur amp if u need good bass.if u prefer single supply,try mono STK amps.if u wanna go Xpensive,try DMOS or LM3875/86(Rs.300 per chip alone).for dis money u can get a mono channel BJT amp(economic version,not bad).for Rs.450,usually we get dainty n zipp 8" sub woofers here in tvm.there r many brands dese days.where in kottayam exactly?(i'm native of kanjirapally,settled for da past 20+yrs in tvm.i often travel to kottayam to visit my relatives:) ).for an 8" sub woofer enclosure,1/2" MDF(mini) is required.TVM has good electronics shops.amps r made & sent to ernakulam(a friend of mine in this bussiness told me).an electronics shop @ kanjirapally bus stand has TIP based sub amp(100watts).dont know abt da quality.if u cant get chipwood,try using furniture wood(rosewood,teak,mahogany,jack fruit tree,mango tree woods{plavum,mavum:( :D }no plywood:no:

dracul said:

also try to use active filter and amp of same kind of supply ie,single supply and dual suppy.its better not to mix them up.NE5534 is single supply where as NE5532 is dual supply..u can hv both single and dual version in any type of OP amps and power amps!NE5532 op amps go with TDA 2030(12V DC dual supply)NE5534 with LA4440 etc...(12V DC single supply).dual IC TDA2030 can giv max: of 30 Watts @ 8 ohms(4 ohms not recommended).LA4440 can give 40 Watts.TDA is much better with very low noise & distortion.TDA's r commonly used in TV's & mini hi-fi's..as in ur case i think u hav TDA 2030 based sub system.the capacitance value will be 4700MFD or 2*2200=4400MFD.2030 can produce deep bass but not much volume..accurate porting is necessary!!if its a closed box design..try to trim the port hole or lengthen the port pipe..

Back