Team Fortress 2 - F2P?

comp@ddict

Skilled
While there are rumours flying around about Valve’s DOTA 2 project being the first in-house game to embrace the free-to-play model recently made possible on Steam, there seems to be (scant) evidence that another title could be beat it to the accolade: Team Fortress 2.
Which would make perfect sense. The game, rapidly approaching four years old, currently only costs £7, and is frequently dropped down to much less, and even free. Valve has sold over 480 billion copies, and it’s reasonable to argue that the game’s time as a sold product is nearing its end. But of course there’s also hats. Because everyone in the world except for me has gone insane, buying aesthetic content for games has become a big business, and even the players are getting rich from this nonsense in TF2. YOU CAN’T EVEN SEE YOUR CHARACTER WEARING THEM. Ahem.

Now some evidence I don’t begin to understand seems to suggest that Valve could be considering relaunching the game with a free-to-play model. One of those clever/mad sorts who trawls through the registries of Steam has spotted a new entry titled, “Valve TestApp440 – Test 1″ (along with a low violence equivalent). They then thought to check out which number 440 applies to in Steamland, and it just happens to be TF2. (DOTA 2 is 490.)

Under the “Subscriptions†section of whatever the heck that window is are the billing options. And what’s checked for Mysterious-o-App 440? It’s “No Costâ€.

Clearly this is all wild speculation at this point. But it’s a move that would make excellent business sense. With everyone on the planet who’s likely to buy it already owning it, and extremely successful in-game revenue model, why not try to capture the remaining potential audience who just aren’t prepared to fork out for it? Somehow even these people will probably be prepared to pay for hats.

Of course, there’s plenty of other ways for TF2 to make money. With unequalled post-release support, TF2 has seen extraordinary volumes of free updates. Just bewildering towers of new content, with never a penny charged. It wouldn’t be unreasonable at this point to start attaching a small fee to any further content that gets put in (although I don’t doubt for a picosecond that plenty of entitled types will find it unreasonable enough to make death threats). There are so many ways to make money from TF2 without charging an initial fee, I think not adopting a F2P model at this point would be madness.

Might Team Fortress 2 Go Free To Play? | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Madness! But I think those who have "bought" the game should get all hats for free if teh game indeed goes F2P.

Another HURRAY! for valve if this is true.

Re: Team Fortress 2 - Free to Play ?

F2P model would be great, provided they only charge us for hats/dresses/masks. If they start demanding money for updates/equipment/guns, players won't be happy anymore.

They had already sold the game at ridiculously low prices before. So, being free seems to be logical. I guess it will be even more micro-transaction based from now on.

Also, my favorite award winner would the medic who blocked with uber and reflect! reflect! reflect!

Its gonna take the whole week for me to download the game, no use. :(

I do hope that this game goes F2P, always wanted to play it.

Aman27deep said:
F2P = More hackers + Lag + buying exclusive items = No for me.
You always have useless reasons not to play.

1. TF2 is VAC secure, hackers are banned permanently from steam(and I have seen 1 hacker in 1.5 years only)

2. Lag? How the hell did you get that? Look, if you play 2 days with a 100 ping, you can easily become the most kills and top of the chart guy(like me)

3. There aren't and won't be items which you can't get a drop at. Everything can be found or else, crafted. Buying is a fast way to get it, that's all.

I really recommend you try the new e-club servers. Your ping issue might just get solved.

203.116.80.200:27015 - e-Club TF2 #01

203.116.80.200:27016 - e-Club TF2 #02 [goldrush4ever]

203.116.80.200:27017 - e-Club TF2 #03 [autoteam]

203.116.80.200:27018 - e-Club TF2 #04 [cp4ever]

203.116.80.200:27019 - e-Club TF2 #05 [goldrush4ever]

203.116.80.200:27025 - e-Club TF2 #06 [pl4ever]

203.116.80.201:27015 - e-Club TF2 Arena #01 [nocrit]

203.116.80.201:27016 - e-Club TF2 Arena #02

203.116.80.201:27017 - e-Club TF2 #01 [Pickup Match Server]

203.116.80.201:27018 - e-Club TF2 #02 [Pickup Match Server]

@comp@ddict

aman was talking about the free2play game model like many MMORPGs ;) not about TF2 in particular or about this free week.

_

ram_dante said:
10gb dwld for 2days freeplay..No, thx I ll pass..

I just started downloading, it showed 6.5 gb :| And it's the Free play week, not week-end :) Try it, it's fun ...

Its by far the most enjoyable game out there, get it guys, you wont regret it!

comp@ddict said:
You always have useless reasons not to play.

I do right? I dunno why u attacked me, but i'll try solving your views.

comp@ddict said:
1. TF2 is VAC secure, hackers are banned permanently from steam(and I have seen 1 hacker in 1.5 years only)

VAC is not hacker proof. Unlike you i have played WAY more VAC enabled games. CSS for 2000+ hours, 1.6 for 200+ hours, TF1 for 50 hours, DOD-S for 50 hours, MW2 for 300+ hours and ofcourse TF2 for > 1500 hours.

I have met so many hackers in each of those games. Especially CSS, so many hackers, you wouldn't believe.

comp@ddict said:
2. Lag? How the hell did you get that? Look, if you play 2 days with a 100 ping, you can easily become the most kills and top of the chart guy(like me)

The more high pinged people on a server the more it lags.

comp@ddict said:
3. There aren't and won't be items which you can't get a drop at. Everything can be found or else, crafted. Buying is a fast way to get it, that's all.

There have been some items now which you can ONLY get if you preorder/buy some other game. Games like Battlefield Heroes and Battlefield (The free to play new ones) have exclusive bought-able items. If TF2 goes F2P, it will too.

comp@ddict said:
I really recommend you try the new e-club servers. Your ping issue might just get solved.
You think i haven't tried? :p 350ms+

kuki_295 said:
Is it correct

It must me million riight?
That was probably a joke :p The WHOLE mario series combined has sold just > 110 million IIRC.

* Peace out - Don't fight*

VAC is not hacker proof. Unlike you i have played WAY more VAC enabled games. CSS for 2000+ hours, 1.6 for 200+ hours, TF1 for 50 hours, DOD-S for 50 hours, MW2 for 300+ hours and ofcourse TF2 for > 1500 hours.

You mentioned all games but not TF2. We are talking TF2 only stay on the topic.

There have been some items now which you can ONLY get if you preorder/buy some other game. Games like Battlefield Heroes and Battlefield (The free to play new ones) have exclusive bought-able items. If TF2 goes F2P, it will too.

you can live w/o a few items, there are sooo many others already

You think i haven't tried? 350ms+

BSNL rocks !! :D

PEACE: THE END

Aman27deep said:
If you didn't read doesn't mean i didn't write :p

If you didn't read doesn't mean i didn't write

You didn't report of TF2 hackers. ANd lets face it, unless you play on a stupid public portal server with horrible pings, it's unlikely you see a hacker.

As I said, I have seen not but 1 hacker(speed hack) in the entire hours I spent on TF2. And ryt now, TF2 is epic.

The new servers are lag free, finally you can minimize the game and maximize w/o hang. I dunno, it's just become very fast and feels very optimized now.

Also, ram usage took a leap. From the earlier 1.1GB, it was just 450MB now. Great work there valve.

comp@ddict said:
You didn't report of TF2 hackers. ANd lets face it, unless you play on a stupid public portal server with horrible pings, it's unlikely you see a hacker.

As I said, I have seen not but 1 hacker(speed hack) in the entire hours I spent on TF2. And ryt now, TF2 is epic.

The new servers are lag free, finally you can minimize the game and maximize w/o hang. I dunno, it's just become very fast and feels very optimized now.

Also, ram usage took a leap. From the earlier 1.1GB, it was just 450MB now. Great work there valve.
Don't misunderstand me, i LOVE TF2, I just haven't played TF2 (regularly) since November, when my pings used to be around 70-80, now if things turn out well, i'll be getting reliance WiMax which is supposed to give me pings of under 120. Lets hope :p And dude, add me on steam, "mattz0r".

jc36lect3r said:
All the Starhub servers are above 300 :( any decent servers here?
*ahem* seems like i'm not the only one :p *ahem*

try for Taiwanese servers? All except bsnl probably ping < 150ms there.

Back