Tata's Dholera semiconductor plant may roll out India's first indigenous chip by 2026

It's just packaging. Expected. Doable. On a budget.

It's a promising start but we're still some years away from achieving the real thing which is innovating.

For that you need to deliver 24/7/365 uninterrupted power. Otherwise a power cut during the process will result in losses in the tens of $millions. Until you solve this problem you can't learn to do more sophisticated

While it would be nice to make microprocessors.

We should start making GaN, SiC mosfets, Capacitors. Why because these are used in every day modern USB fast chargers, Solar Inverters, EV, EV chargers, Laser, Fiber optic, wireless communication basicaly for both military and Civilian. Radars, ECM jammers, direct energy weapons. I can go on and on.

10 years back chinese EV and power chargers where relying soley on US companies likes Texas Instruments. Today they all have in house versions which they are going to use for total EV domination world wide by being fully vertically integrated with sanction proof supply chain in China.

If it's only packaging why are they only at 28nm? (Unless I'm missing something) They can very well package the cutting edge nodes, right? (like 3nm and smaller, etc)

They said the same thing with Hyderabad’s fabcity long time ago. It was just a pump and dump scam. Semiconductor fabrication is a very capital intensive business and i will get excited agter they have produced their first wafer.

If it's only packaging why are they only at 28nm? (Unless I'm missing something) They can very well package the cutting edge nodes, right? (like 3nm and smaller, etc)
This is not some 5 storeyed building that you erect and give for rent. There is a reason why only Samsung and TSMC are the only companies with 3nm fab. When yield is very low, you bleed cash and I dont think Tata is in that state where they can throw cash.

TSMC shelled out 20 billion $ (1,65,793 crore rupees) for their recent 3nm fab plant. This does not include the research and initial costs involved in getting a good yield out of 3nm process. PSMC does not seem to have anything lower than 28nm fabrication. Imagine the cost involved.

Yeah 28nm is so 2011.

28nm in CPU and GPU is not in use anymore but you have to understand that we do not need 3nm and 5nm everywhere. There are tens of thousands of semiconductor devices in the world. These 28nm chips are heavily used in automotive industry (ECUs etc) and they are highly profitable, given the low cost associated with fabrication.

Last edited:
Even this article is related

But if ITIF is right, it won't see India emerge as a top-tier competitor alongside other chipmaking nations. Planned investments by Intel, Samsung, and TSMC in Arizona alone will create more than the five fabs the think tank believes India can build by 2029. And those Arizona fabs will build on smaller processes that allow creation of higher-value and more powerful silicon.

Other fab construction plans across the US, Europe, Japan, and Taiwan also eclipse India's likely achievements as assessed by ITIF.

ITIF’s report found that, quite frankly, this stuff is hard.

"Fabricating semiconductors is perhaps the most complex manufacturing activity humanity undertakes," wrote the study authors.

ITIF also found that India's challenges go beyond securing investors and facilitating builds. The report stated that the challenge confronting India is "to create a business and policy environment that doesn't just attract one-off investments, but that fosters the emergence of a deep and vibrant semiconductor ecosystem."

That ecosystem must be "active in all the key phases of production, research and development (R&D), fabrication and ATO," argued ITIF, adding that it must also have a network of suppliers and supporting institutions to keep it cost competitive, yet innovative.

It's just packaging. Expected. Doable. On a budget.

It's a promising start but we're still some years away from achieving the real thing which is innovating.

For that you need to deliver 24/7/365 uninterrupted power. Otherwise a power cut during the process will result in losses in the tens of $millions. Until you solve this problem you can't learn to do more sophisticated
Such big plants will generally have their own power plants called captive power plants, with the power grid as a backup. Excess power generated is given back to the grid and in case captive power plant goes down, grid will ensure uninterrupted power.

Such big plants will generally have their own power plants called captive power plants, with the power grid as a backup. Excess power generated is given back to the grid and in case captive power plant goes down, grid will ensure uninterrupted power.
yup. i used to stay in company quarters of a nylon thread manufacturing company and power was required 24/7 there. Even 1minute or 5 minutes power cut meant nylon raw material cooling and clogging the system and generating both raw material and other losses. The company had their own power generation system using crude oil and other waste oils and simple square cement cooling towers with water falling down for cooling waste heat. Entire power plant was size of 5-6 lanes of a city both horizontally and diagonally and the power never went out. This was in 80's when India was still having power problems so the tech must be better and cleaner now. Tata has backup power for its backup power in their car plants so I'm sure they have thought all this 2-3 times in design phase itself. I'm amazed people on TE have some really outdated views of Indian companies. Just because there's power cut in house =/= power cut in factories. I stay in an industrial area and the state has kept apart the local home power grid (overhead lines and etc) and the manufacturing grid. There is load shedding for retail home consumers sometimes for 4-5 hours a day. Factories get uninterrupted power supply every day.

"ITIF’s report found that, quite frankly, this stuff is hard."

Did someone get paid to write this?

"But if ITIF is right, it won't see India emerge as a top-tier competitor alongside other chipmaking nations"

Yup, a young boy joining his high school team wont be playing alongside Virat and Subhnam for a long time. Please tell me something I don't know.

Why promote this kind of low end garbage?

Wondered whether India's involvement in RISC-V can yield positive results:

Back