Tatadocomo net fast on mobile BUT SLOW VIA LAPTOP THRU PHONE MODEM

I just ported my mobile number from sucky bsnl to tatadocomo mainly due to really good GPRS speed of tatadocomo at cheap rates.

I have Nokia 5800xm mobile (supports 3G).
When the phone is on Dual mode (UMTS + GSM) then I get amazing speed on mobile with Tatadocomo's GPRS - precisely, about 1mbps. I downloaded a 15mb video file in 2 minutes on mobile. (Note that, this speed is there for normal GPRS pack... NO 3g plan).
But when I access the internet on my laptop thru the phone using the phone's modem, I get really bad speed i.e.
1) the response is very slow
2) Sometimes the pages dont load (Cannot find sever)
3) the download speed is max 20 kBps.
Why does this happen and what is the solution to this?

First of all you are getting the high speed on cell phone due to some bug or technical fault, what you are getting is 3g speed. Next on your pc this bug is not working for some unknown reason and you are getting the normal 2g gprs speed.

Page error might be due to busy server or slow net. And your dnwnload speed is ok.
I too download at 20kBps on my aircel gprs:p

1) When connected to PC, on mobile what does it show? E sign?

2) Same way, when you browse directly on mobile? what sign gets displayed on phone screen? 3G?

3) Further, instead of USB/Bluetooth. Try connecting via Wifi Tethering using app called JoikuSpot(available in Ovi Store).

Gaurish said:
1) When connected to PC, on mobile what does it show? E sign?

2) Same way, when you browse directly on mobile? what sign gets displayed on phone screen? 3G?

3) Further, instead of USB/Bluetooth. Try connecting via Wifi Tethering using app called JoikuSpot(available in Ovi Store).

Do you think it will make any difference? The bandwidth of bluetooth is enough for EDGE

And USB will be faster than Wi-Fi anyday since the bandwidth of a physical cable will be mush more than a wireless connection.

hotshot05 said:
[/B]
Do you think it will make any difference? The bandwidth of bluetooth is enough for EDGE

And USB will be faster than Wi-Fi anyday since the bandwidth of a physical cable will be mush more than a wireless connection.
Theoretically USB should be faster but practically sometimes wifi is faster. Here is how:

it has to do with signal reception on phone. As Nokia 5800 comes with short cable, and while plugged it into my PC's usb port. sometimes phone gets into such a position that signal reception is reduced.And in Dual mode(UMTS + GSM), whenever signal strength falls below 65% signal strength(Not sure on exact percentage, so correct me if I am wrong). the phone automactically switches to 2G mode(GSM) means slower internet speeds.

so, I normally connect my phone via Wifi Tethering & then move move phone around for optimum signal reception. Aim is to be connected to 3G network(UMTS) with maximum signal strength possible. more signal strength means better speeds:cool: Plus,with wifi there is no hassle of cables:eek:hyeah:

PS: its entirely my personnel experience

Sorry for late reply, lots of work piled up.

@CA50,
A friend of mine in college who has tatadocomo since 2-3 months also gets the same speed without any 3g pack when dual mode is activated on his Nokia N8. Also, on proper 3G pack, the speed should be around 3.6mbps (3G capability of tatadocomo - upto 21mbps; 5800xm's capability - 3.6mbps HSDPA). So I doubt that its be a bug.

@Gaurish

1) When connected to PC, then also it shows 3.5G
2) and when browsing from mobile also, it shows 3.5G only.

3) With USB cable also, its slow so I'm skeptical about wifi. But I'll try with wifi also just to be sure and reply back.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

@CA50,
On second thoughts, ya it could be a bug too. Otherwise all l33t downloaders would ditch their DSLs and use cheap GPRS packs for > 1mbps speeds! :p

MenTaLLyMenTaL said:
@Gaurish

1) When connected to PC, then also it shows 3.5G

2) and when browsing from mobile also, it shows 3.5G only.

3) With USB cable also, its slow so I'm skeptical about wifi. But I'll try with wifi also just to be sure and reply back.
Is there any difference in signal bars? when connecting directly on mobile vs PC?

MenTaLLyMenTaL said:
@CA50,
On second thoughts, ya it could be a bug too. Otherwise all l33t downloaders would ditch their DSLs and use cheap GPRS packs for > 1mbps speeds! :p
seems like i was right :). How about the connect to the net from your mobile then connecting it from laptop, not sure just a guess :p

@Gaurish,
No, there's no difference. The signal is full or near full always.
Also, I tried connecting thru WLAN using the JoikuSpot, but no use.
--

My friend with Nokia N8 gets the same high speed even when connecting from laptop thru his N8. So it means there might be a problem with 5800? But what is it?

Back