PC Peripherals System won't boot when using RAM at full speed

uzerdelhi

Disciple
I recently got a new PC and bought a 16gb 3600mhz ram stick to go along with it. It defaults to around 2000mhz and when turning on XMP in bios the system won't boot at all. So I kept lowering the frequency until it booted which was 3000mhz.
Now I'm thinking if I can't use 3600 in the first place shouldn't I have gotten 3200mhz ram and saved money?

My specs as as follows:
Intel i5 12400f
Asus prime b660m-a D4 motherboard
1x 16gb Corsair vengeance 3600mhz
GTX 960 (to be upgraded later)
Evga bronze 550w psu

I don't think B660 boards support memory OC, so should run only up to the "stock" 3200MHz

Also, instead of one 16GB @ 3600 stick, two 8GB @ 3200 sticks would be better since they would run in dual channel mode

is there not a option to disable xmp and set to 3600, what happens?
I'll try it when I get home but AFAIK xmp is just a set of settings, enabling it just changes 5-6 settings and frequency is one of them. I would probably need to change all the settings manually too
I don't think B660 boards support memory OC, so should run only up to the "stock" 3200MHz

Also, instead of one 16GB @ 3600 stick, two 8GB @ 3200 sticks would be better since they would run in dual channel mode
It wouldn't even go to 3200mhz tho
The reason I bought 16gb was because it was cheaper than 2x 8gb.. and I plan on getting another 16gb eventually so I suppose I'll get a 3200mhz next and save some money?

his board supports OC upto 5333, but no xmp, so he should disable xmp and set the frequency manually to 3600, it should work

3200 should definitely work. Perhaps that module is faulty. Try returning it for a dual pack of 3200 (not two single packs, always but matched pairs of your don't want to experiment)

Update BIOS. My friend's 3700X on X570 steel legend couldn't run 3600MHz memory at 1:1 ratio (I put an FCLK freq of 1600MHz instead of 1800MHz to make it run, so was not 1:1).

The terms are different on Intel. So 1:1 gear ratio means internal freq is same as RAM freq, both should be 1800MHz. My i5 12400 CPU on B660M DS3H AX runs fine at 1:1 gear ratio. So I will say update the BIOS with XMP disabled, then enable XMP with 1:1 gear ratio.

Choose xmp profile with lowest cl and then manually change frequency to 3200mhz. That's your best chance.

his board supports OC upto 5333, but no xmp, so he should disable xmp and set the frequency manually to 3600, it should work

Update BIOS, I'm using 3200Mhz XMP on Asus H610 mobo.

Update BIOS. My friend's 3700X on X570 steel legend couldn't run 3600MHz memory at 1:1 ratio (I put an FCLK freq of 1600MHz instead of 1800MHz to make it run, so was not 1:1).

The terms are different on Intel. So 1:1 gear ratio means internal freq is same as RAM freq, both should be 1800MHz. My i5 12400 CPU on B660M DS3H AX runs fine at 1:1 gear ratio. So I will say update the BIOS with XMP disabled, then enable XMP with 1:1 gear ratio.
My bios are up to date already.
I tried all those options but system won't even boot at 3200mhz let alone 3600mhz

Not sure what you mean by gear ratio, I set memory controller dram frequency ratio to 1:1 and it won't work with 3200mhz either

My bios are up to date already.
I tried all those options but system won't even boot at 3200mhz let alone 3600mhz

Not sure what you mean by gear ratio, I set memory controller dram frequency ratio to 1:1 and it won't work with 3200mhz either
I don't know how to teach what I mean. Research online about FCLK, gear ratio & all, maybe you will get what I mean. Even I don't know enough on this topic.

Maybe RAM is at fault? You need a 2nd stick to try it though. Maybe make the investment on 2nd stick now, it is like 3.5k.

Return the RAM stick and get a lower clocked one or something at 3600 from G skill. There's nothing much you can do with a DIMM that does not clock upto its advertised speeds. If you want, you can manually try manually tuning the DRAM voltages and frequencies, but that's some needless headache if you're new to RAM tuning.

There's nothing wrong with gear ratios in your mobo, do take a screenshot of the memory tab under the CPU-Z application (https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) and paste it here.

It looks like you just lost the silicon lottery on the CPU. If it's not working with Corsair then maybe the memory controller on the CPU isn't upto the mark.

It looks like you just lost the silicon lottery on the CPU. If it's not working with Corsair then maybe the memory controller on the CPU isn't upto the mark.
3200 is guaranteed to work on any CPU. The silicon lottery applies to running above that speed. For e.g. my 12400 is running 4x sticks at 3600 on a H670 board. I think I had to set the frequency manually. The luck part is because the SA(?) voltage is locked in non-K CPUs so max achievable speed varies from CPU to CPU. However Intel guarantess 3200 as minimum

If the IMC can't do 3200 then CPU is faulty. But the more likely scenario is that the RAM stick is faulty

I don't know how to teach what I mean. Research online about FCLK, gear ratio & all, maybe you will get what I mean. Even I don't know enough on this topic.

Maybe RAM is at fault? You need a 2nd stick to try it though. Maybe make the investment on 2nd stick now, it is like 3.5k.
Do i buy a 3200MHz one or another 3600Mhz one?
Return the RAM stick and get a lower clocked one or something at 3600 from G skill. There's nothing much you can do with a DIMM that does not clock upto its advertised speeds. If you want, you can manually try manually tuning the DRAM voltages and frequencies, but that's some needless headache if you're new to RAM tuning.

There's nothing wrong with gear ratios in your mobo, do take a screenshot of the memory tab under the CPU-Z application (https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) and paste it here.
1699596391091.png
1699596417969.png

I'm running it at 3000Mhz because it won't boot over that.

The return window of the ram is already over, is this something corsair would RMA for?
Btw this is the RAM that i have

3200 is guaranteed to work on any CPU. The silicon lottery applies to running above that speed. For e.g. my 12400 is running 4x sticks at 3600 on a H670 board. I think I had to set the frequency manually. The luck part is because the SA(?) voltage is locked in non-K CPUs so max achievable speed varies from CPU to CPU. However Intel guarantess 3200 as minimum

If the IMC can't do 3200 then CPU is faulty. But the more likely scenario is that the RAM stick is faulty
Can you check the CPU-z screenshot above and see if it tells if anything is faulty?

Last edited:
3200 is guaranteed to work on any CPU. The silicon lottery applies to running above that speed.
Sometimes luck doesn't favor and you can get a CPU with a memory controller which isn't upto the mark. There are lot of YT videos. You probably can get it RMAed but that's another thing...

Can you check the CPU-z screenshot above and see if it tells if anything is faulty?
I see your RAM is running at 3000Mhz but very loose timings. Also you have only 1 stick so single channel. Just so you know running RAM in single channel isn't ideal and I really do not know if reaching top speeds with just a single stick is a thing but I haven't seen so anywhere.

Can you show SPD section of CPU-Z? It will list the possible speed and timing profiles on the SPD chip.

Sometimes luck doesn't favor and you can get a CPU with a memory controller which isn't upto the mark. There are lot of YT videos. You probably can get it RMAed but that's another thing...

I see your RAM is running at 3000Mhz but very loose timings. Also you have only 1 stick so single channel. Just so you know running RAM in single channel isn't ideal and I really do not know if reaching top speeds with just a single stick is a thing but I haven't seen so anywhere.

Can you show SPD section of CPU-Z? It will list the possible speed and timing profiles on the SPD chip.
1699598836928.png

2x 8gb was considerably more expensive at the time of my purchase
I plan on getting another 16gb stick eventually

Sometimes luck doesn't favor and you can get a CPU with a memory controller which isn't upto the mark.
That means they are defective. Upto 3200 is STOCK (non overclocked) speed according to Intel. If the IMC can't do that, it is defective, plain and simple. It's not like some will do only 2800, some 3000, etc

The lottery aspect comes into play when you are overclocking to >3200 where some particular pieces of the same model can do 3600, but other can only do, say 3400. This variance depends on the silicon quality of the memory controller you got. Similar to CPU overclocking where some OC better than others. This doesn't imply there are some that can't even boost to stock speeds.

Last edited:
I skipped most of the conversation.
Your CPU is limited to 3200Mhz RAM in DDR4 Configuration.
So, your RAM will only work up to 3200Mhz with XMP.

Also, you are on ASUS motherboard. XMP only works if you have inserted RAM in B1 and B2 Channel. I think you should insert RAM in B1 channel.

Another thing is : XMP works great with DUAL channel. Even if you use XMP in single channel, Dual Channel Configuration will be much faster. So , buy a 16GB 3600Mhz ( EXACTLY SAME MODEL ) RAM.

Last edited:
I skipped most of the conversation.
Your CPU is limited to 3200Mhz RAM in DDR4 Configuration.
So, your RAM will only work up to 3200Mhz with XMP.

Also, you are on ASUS motherboard. XMP only works if you have inserted RAM in B1 and B2 Channel. I think you should insert RAM in B1 channel.

Another thing is : XMP works great with DUAL channel. Even if you use XMP in single channel, Dual Channel Configuration will be much faster. So , buy a 16GB 3600Mhz ( EXACTLY SAME MODEL ) RAM.
Turns out simply swapping from slot 3 to slot 1 allowed it to run at 3200mhz (Won't boot above that)
The reason i had it in slot 3 in the first place is because slot 1 is too close to the CPU cooler
What should be my next course of action? Do i buy another 3200mhz one because it only goes up to 3200mhz in my system?

1699603999428.png
1699604012415.png

Back