surviving in "pricey-land"

Ok, inspired by this......http://www.techenclave.com/general-talk/surviving-shanghai-china-tips-help-advice-133635.html , I decided to take the dive here......although still uncertain, the splurging factor gives me shivers....and after all - its the "pricey-land" - UK, London

I would be based at an <undisclosed> location and to go to london I would have to travel again @ my own expense.

as for the reading done....

food price - kills

traveling - kills, but the tube rail daily ticket comes to the rescue.

So all the people been there can help here....

Things to do ?

Places to see ?

Please keep in mind I wish to splurge the least possible ?

Approx duration 3 days.

Once done I have to make my journey all the way back to <undisclosed :p> (again, at my own expense) for a fly back.........

Please help me make this expedition of mine a success......

approx 12 hrs journey to and fro from my original put up place (thats pure run time on virgin tube rail :D)

thetechmind said:
28 views, 0 replies :no: :no:

Not everyone has actually been to London. Of the many members on TE, its most likely that in the 28 views that have taken place, none has been to the destination you are asking details about. Give it some time. If someone has been there, they will answer your query.

All the best for your trip. Hope it goes well.

XTerminator said:
Not everyone has actually been to London. Of the many members on TE, its most likely that in the 28 views that have taken place, none has been to the destination you are asking details about. Give it some time. If someone has been there, they will answer your query.

All the best for your trip. Hope it goes well.

apologies, i realised after i posted abt the same u said, its not just another tech-problem/question :)

thank you for your wishes :)

London's shittingly expensive if you don't have someone to stay at.

Food isn't that expensive, shop at the local tesco (tesco value :D)

You can find a lot of asian shops around offering decent VFM Indian packed food.

I would recommend you to cook your own food since eating in takewaays is expensive and the food is horrendous.

YMCA youth hostels offer a decent value for money, my friends told me it was around 15 pounds a day rent, although when I lived there, first for a week for sightseeing and then a couple of times at my friends' places ( I used to live upnorth in scotland and had a few friends down there)

If you are staying there for a week or so to sightsee, I would recommend you get a Oyster card topped with 40 pounds ( 1 week unlimited travel - all 6 zones), off peak hours.

For true sightseeing, get off at victoria tube station and walk all around the place, its a beauty.

Things at a walkable distance - South kensington ( Harrods, Hyde park, princess' palace) etc.

Tower bridge - westminster, London eye etc.

You can also take the sightseeing bus to go around ( I think it was 15 pounds a day if I remember correctly)

I have lots of experience with London, visited there many times... and here are my suggestions/recommendations:

<undisclosed :p>

But seriously, depending on where your undisclosed location is, even travelling to/from London can be expensive let alone staying there and doing sightseeing!

Amol said:
London's shittingly expensive if you don't have someone to stay at.

Food isn't that expensive, shop at the local tesco (tesco value :D)

You can find a lot of asian shops around offering decent VFM Indian packed food.

I would recommend you to cook your own food since eating in takewaays is expensive and the food is horrendous.

YMCA youth hostels offer a decent value for money, my friends told me it was around 15 pounds a day rent, although when I lived there, first for a week for sightseeing and then a couple of times at my friends' places ( I used to live upnorth in scotland and had a few friends down there)

If you are staying there for a week or so to sightsee, I would recommend you get a Oyster card topped with 40 pounds ( 1 week unlimited travel - all 6 zones), off peak hours.

For true sightseeing, get off at victoria tube station and walk all around the place, its a beauty.

Things at a walkable distance - South kensington ( Harrods, Hyde park, princess' palace) etc.

Tower bridge - westminster, London eye etc.

You can also take the sightseeing bus to go around ( I think it was 15 pounds a day if I remember correctly)

this helps a lot , fantastic , plans would mature tomorrow and so i will be able to elaborate exactly on the locations......the best part to say right now is , expected stay will be at YMCA....about the zones and all im very confused , u can help the best here :) ......

Amol said:
btw - 12 hours on virgin train, are you somewhere up north in scotland ?

:eek:hyeah:

vishalrao said:
I have lots of experience with London, visited there many times... and here are my suggestions/recommendations:

<undisclosed :p>

But seriously, depending on where your undisclosed location is, even travelling to/from London can be expensive let alone staying there and doing sightseeing!

read the nod above :p

development as of now is , im not going to go back up north, this way i can wind up there and then come down south with lots of time in hand........it will be a down south journey and then a direct fly back , saves me the runtime and keeping a 1 day buffer and all......

Amol : please be a regular to this thread :)

again my main concern is cheap accommodation and making the most of the time and travelling , can do with even bread and butter and burgers for food :) also any places to check out up north ?

Edinburgh is a fantastic city. Truly amazing. I would recommend a day to go around this incredible city.

Glasgow is worth a visit once.

The other place I would recommend is St. Andrews, if you take the megabus from Dundee, it would cost you around 5 quid, return journey. It has a beautiful University, superb golf courses.

Man....I miss scotland.

Your 12 hour journey sounds like you are located in Aberdeen ?

Amol said:
Edinburgh is a fantastic city. Truly amazing. I would recommend a day to go around this incredible city.

Glasgow is worth a visit once.

The other place I would recommend is St. Andrews, if you take the megabus from Dundee, it would cost you around 5 quid, return journey. It has a beautiful University, superb golf courses.

Man....I miss scotland.

Your 12 hour journey sounds like you are located in Aberdeen ?

edinburgh has been suggested by another friend , he said i shouldnt miss that.....now on the other hand some people say i need to keep less time for london, just see the london bridge and a few other places and spend more time up north........a pal said "u can go to london netime , not everyone gets a chance to go up north"

btw, virgin rail is out of the quote now......i need to use a bus service....virgin rail is freaking 100gbp ticket...whereas the bus service is a 25 pound return fare :O even though i wont be returning !.....

amol, u become my official TE tour co-ordinator :) wish i could rep in the general section.

Back