Surge protector vs Diy extension board

this was cool. you should provide some gude for it.. :)
From the images shared here, it is clear what @lockhrt999 has done. But I agree, video would be still helpful.

The only thing stopping me from getting it is that Meco Energy meter costs similar to amiciSense Energy Meter (probably the one used by lockhrt999) and does almost the same thing being prebuilt, in addition to having timer-related functions. The only difference I could identify is Meco functions for max 10A, where as amiciSense could probably work for 16A.
Is there any other difference? Need ur inputs here @lockhrt999

Last edited:
Is there any other difference? Need ur inputs here @lockhrt999
You are right. I'm using wattage meter of amiciSense. Both amici and meco are imported from china. Amici products usually have good quality. I have not used meco but it should be good too.

Meco supports upto 10A. Although there doesn't exist a power line in our house that carries 100A, amici can measure that. A single phase electricity connection supports upto 32A so it's good for the whole house. Another difference is the input voltage. Meco current measurement will only be accurate if the voltage is in normal range. Amici doesn't have that problem. It's good across wide range of voltages. I searched and didn't find many wattage meter that can work on fluctuating voltage.

On the other hand, meco supports many cool features that an end user might enjoy like tariff calculation. With amici you'll have to pull out a calculator for that. Power cut off on timer is also good to have.

Big difference is what you can plug into them. (I could be wrong) From the images it seems, meco doesn't support big 16A plugs. That means you can't use this meter for front load washing machines, oven, big fridge, geyser or AC. That's a big limitation if you ask me. Whereas you can use amici with anything.

Another thing with amici is that you have to assemble it yourself and there's cost of other components like buttons, socket, wire, board etc. 3-core 2.5sq mm wire alone costs ~100 per meter. You could be looking at the expense of another 500-1000 on these components. You can ask an electrician to build you one. From a long time I have been thinking to make such extension boards and sell them for profit on amazon. :p
this was cool. you should provide some gude for it.. :)
It's not that hard mate. With a little experience of wiring, it's pretty straight forward. There should be some videos on the youtube.

Last edited:
You are right. I'm using wattage meter of amiciSense. Both amici and meco are imported from china. Amici products usually have good quality. I have not used meco but it should be good too.

Meco supports upto 10A. Although there doesn't exist a power line in our house that carries 100A, amici can measure that. A single phase electricity connection supports upto 32A so it's good for the whole house. Another difference is the input voltage. Meco current measurement will only be accurate if the voltage is in normal range. Amici doesn't have that problem. It's good across wide range of voltages. I searched and didn't find many wattage meter that can work on fluctuating voltage.

On the other hand, meco supports many cool features that an end user might enjoy like tariff calculation. With amici you'll have to pull out a calculator for that. Power cut off on timer is also good to have.

Big difference is what you can plug into them. (I could be wrong) From the images it seems, meco doesn't support big 16A plugs. That means you can't use this meter for front load washing machines, oven, big fridge, geyser or AC. That's a big limitation if you ask me. Whereas you can use amici with anything.

Another thing with amici is that you have to assemble it yourself and there's cost of other components like buttons, socket, wire, board etc. 3-core 2.5sq mm wire alone costs ~100 per meter. You could be looking at the expense of another 500-1000 on these components. You can ask an electrician to build you one.
Agree with all the points. Except for big appliances, meco one seems okayish but sadly both are not cost-effective for the purpose. Anything in 1k range would have been great for enthusiasts. One small question, earlier you shared an image of the energy meter in extension board. What did you use to fix the ct in place?

From a long time I have been thinking to make such extension boards and sell them for profit on amazon. :p
I was going to suggest you that earlier :p. Though it is an interesting business and quite useful for people like us, the total cost would definitely scare away some people.

One small question, earlier you shared an image of the energy meter in extension board. What did you use to fix the ct in place?
Hot glue.

I was going to suggest you that earlier :p. Though it is an interesting business and quite useful for people like us, the total cost would definitely scare away some people.
You are not wrong. I myself had the amici meter in my wish list for more than a year before I bit the bullet.

Back