Suggest refrigerator for single person within 20k

No I haven't done any verification on my end. I think it's going to be quite hard to accurately test it as too many factors are at play which are hard to control outside a standardised test setting, like how many times you open/close the door, what the ambient temp is, how much food stuff you add to the fridge from outside, etc. So with these ratings it's more about comparison rather than the actual value, which may not match.
Asked a reviewer to test his power consumption and daily worked out to be 0.14 units. BEE's label says it should be 0.53. So his measured figure is much lower :oops:

What is happening here? It's winter up north so power consumption will be less. He thinks if he does the test in summer then it will be at least a unit or close to. Or more than the daily BEE's figure.

But if we avg both these summer and winter values we get something much closer to BEE's figure. Is this how BEE calculated the figure. As an annual average?

What do you think?

Asked a reviewer to test his power consumption and daily worked out to be 0.14 units. BEE's label says it should be 0.53. So his measured figure is much lower :oops:

What is happening here? It's winter up north so power consumption will be less. He thinks if he does the test in summer then it will be at least a unit or close to. Or more than the daily BEE's figure.

But if we avg both these summer and winter values we get something much closer to BEE's figure. Is this how BEE calculated the figure. As an annual average?

What do you think?
I found the BEE's test procedure PDF online. Seems like a pretty detailed test procedure that would be hard to replicate, but from a cursory reading it looks like they test at ambient of 32 deg C which is quite high, don't think most of the year we have internal temps reaching 32, maybe only on the hottest parts of the year.

Also they don't open the fridge during testing at all, which in normal usage we would do, so maybe that's why in summer your friend got higher consumption than BEE. But it's not an average of winter and summer that they are doing that's for sure.

I am looking to get a new fridge and going through these threads. The current one at home is 15 years old, whirlpool 200L and it consumes 16 units a day when running at max and ~7-7.5 units a day at min.
I have been paying 2000/mo just for the fridge for probably years! :facepalm:

I am looking to get a new fridge and going through these threads. The current one at home is 15 years old, whirlpool 200L and it consumes 16 units a day when running at max and ~7-7.5 units a day at min.
I have been paying 2000/mo just for the fridge for probably years! :facepalm:
What are you using to measure power consumption?

My previous 50 yr old kelvinator only managed 2.3 units per day. Dial was set to halfway

Last edited:
You really think your 15 yr fridge consumes five times more than my 50 yr old?
Possibly, Yes. I didn't notice the high power bills until someone said it's quite high(after looking at all the electrical loads in my home) and I started monitoring the fridge.
I have also tested both of those energy meters separately and didn't notice anything weird in reported usage stats.

it's a non-inverter fridge and it's compressor cycles frequently at max setting and during those cycles, It consumes around 950W. Attached a graph showing power consumption over the last 8 days(fridge was off for 2 days). 86.6kw used
1710224829846.png

it's a non-inverter fridge and it's compressor cycles frequently at max setting and during those cycles, It consumes around 950W. Attached a graph showing power consumption over the last 8 days(fridge was off for 2 days). 86.6kw used
View attachment 192675
Right, which means it has a high surge or inrush current every time the compressor begins. Mine measured around 2kW by clamp meter with surge facility.

Yours are in a similar ballpark. However these surges are momentary for a fraction of second. I think the energy measurement of both your meters is being thrown off and reporting larger than is the case.

Would you be willing to try with a Meco energy meter?
16 units a day ~ 1hp motor running continuously
My kelvinator was rated at 1/8 of a hp and consumed 2.3 units a day. Looks about right.

Last edited:
If the fridge is still working then why replace it. A double check works out cheaper if in this case it turns out the energy measurement was off by a wide margin.

@blr_p
It does momentarily surge to 6KW. I have used it with other inductive loads in the past and I do feel the numbers are accurate and I don't want to buy this Meco meter for now. (Attached graph is instantaneous power consumption, previous graph was kwh calculation by doing integration with 1h time intervals)
1710250223506.png

@blr_p
It does momentarily surge to 6KW. I have used it with other inductive loads in the past and I do feel the numbers are accurate and I don't want to buy this Meco meter for now. (Attached graph is instantaneous power consumption, previous graph was kwh calculation by doing integration with 1h time intervals)
View attachment 192719
See the second spike at 19:15 taking ten minutes to reach max units of 5kWh (!)

That is obviously wrong. Of course the integration will show higher power consumption over time. If it can measure instantaneous power than it can measure rms. But the totals part is buggy. Why don't you post these figures in the device forum and see what you can learn.

There is NOTHING in your fridge that consumes that much power for ten minutes. If it's frost free the heater consumes (in my latest fridge) around 200W only for a half hour.

As I said inrush current is momentary. Happens in an instant. You will get this every time your non inverter compressor spins up. You cannot catch it with any clamp meter. Only one with an inrush measure facility.

Maybe it an handle inverter inductive loads OK. Those have a gentle ramp up.

But it's clearly failing with your non inverter fridge.

Last edited:
@blr_p it didn't take 10 minutes to reach 5kwh. The graph I shared is unfortunately a bit misleading.

There was a power outage. When power came back, There was a surge to 5Kwh at 19:26:26 and it settled down to 800W at 19:26:29. Added a rule to disconnect lines if interval between value is larger than 1 minute.

1710261276247.png

@blr_p it didn't take 10 minutes to reach 5kwh. The graph I shared is unfortunately a bit misleading.

There was a power outage. When power came back, There was a surge to 5Kwh at 19:26:26
Ah
and it settled down to 800W at 19:26:29. Added a rule to disconnect lines if interval between value is larger than 1 minute.

View attachment 192730
800Wh is quite high. My kelvinator used to hover under 150W.

Can you do a couple of graphs for two hours say. Show watts and another of the same period with units (kWh) on the y axis?
it consumes 16 units a day when running at max and ~7-7.5 units a day at min.
Is there a report that shows this total anywhere? It's not in your graphs

Last edited:
I wonder how hot the compressor gets if it really uses 800W power. Normal fridges with 110-150W load put out good amount of heat from back or sides. His fridge exhaust must be like hot air from oven.

I discarded the old fridge and got a new one. this new one is 322L double door, convertible twin cooling fridge from samsung.
Made a dashboard for it here https://dash.ishanjain.me/public-dashboards/5ed4503d692e4c85bead47912f5708f8 (start date 18-03-2023 20:00:00)
Same bogus figures again.

1.44kW? Yeah right

And this new one comes with an inverter I presume.

You've affirmed my position now :happy:

And I'm still not seeing a cumulative power consumed for the day figure

Last edited:
And I'm still not seeing a cumulative power consumed for the day figure
That can be with the last 24h window in the second graph.

Anyway, Does the power consumption meter you recommended earlier has onboard memory to keep track after outages ? If yes, I'll get it and try it out

Last edited:
Back