Suggest ideas to protect terrace from direct sunrays

try installing solar panels on your terrace.

will save you monies and help you in the long run.

government ended with subsidies :( will cost in excess of 2-3 :(

start terrace gardening.

already do balcony gardening, and that is more than enough for me :p[DOUBLEPOST=1428078004][/DOUBLEPOST]
Cloth is good idea, but this one traps heat.
Putting solar panel is good idea if it does not involve battery usage.
Use bamboo sticks and coconut pandal. Very efficient and eco friendly.
https://nalloorlibrary.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/maramon-pandal.jpg

seems like the best option, time to search where i can get it done :) :)

I was told to put a dam of water above the concrete ceiling. it actually works? use cement-mortar to build the side walls so that water remains in the ceiling. Water level of approximately 5inches. put a hose connected from the tap and hopefully will work.

This will not be going to work for slanding roof(concrete) houses. Also, will work only for single storey houses. Other solutions include roofing which is noisy during monsoons. Coconut leaves pandhal is a good idea too.

Contact Nerolac and inquire about the giant umbrella they use in the ad and then buy it. Only drawback is if it is very windy it might blow away. If you Anchor it and the wind is strong then it might flip. If the wind is very very strong and you house in anchored it might fly away with giant umbrella.
Damn :eek:

Better use the Solar Panel idea at 2-3 your house will remain intact and you can use that electricity and reduce electricity bill.

You can have 2 layers of roof, and in between some spongy stuff or just the dry grass/coconut leave etc.. Its more like trapped air/grass etc is not conductive to heat, If the side walls are exposed to sun directly then really not much useful, unless you get all the walls covered with wood or have trees outside giving some protection from direct heat.. I have seen very old NTPC buildings with this kind of roofs. So first you will need to cover your roof with some grass/dry leave etc. then on top of it a thin layer of concrete/plaster.

For balcony etc you may use those Blackout curtains from Swayam brand.

For high insulation and R-value use polystyrene sheets. Its available in India under various brand names. Also know as Styrofoam.

Back