Suggest Car Insurance

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Which is the best car insurance co. to opt for esp. for a used car.

I was suggested a Govt. based insurance as they are hassle-free and quick compared to private cos.

I had a good exp. with Icici lombard for a good 12yrs or so and this was till yr 2020. aka pre-covid era.
Dealers are suggesting me to opt for a govt. based insurance policies as they got less-headache, prompt claims and got hassle-free processes. I have zero exp. with any govt. policies till now hence the query.

Would like to have the opinions from people here.

Last edited:
This time I've bought from Oriental Insurance via policy bazaar.

There's no such thing as "best insurance co." because it all depends on the surveyor and they can be good or bad and most are outsourced.
Just buy and hope you never have to actually use it.

There's no such thing as "best insurance co." because it all depends on the surveyor and they can be good or bad and most are outsourced.
Just buy and hope you never have to actually use it.

Great! Did you compared across policies and then selected Oriental or was it suggested by someone already having a good exp. with it.

Yes, I was also preferring a government co. At first I was going with United Insurance as I have the same for two bikes at home (that too via policy bazaar) but the policy bazaar agent told me Oriental was coming out to be a little cheaper and I previously had used Oriental with a different car so went with that.

I also explored Acko, one of my colleague had great experience with it but then there are a lot of negative reviews for it as well. On paper, they are good but I didn't wanna risk it all on a pvt. co.
I wanted ability to use app to file claim/track status/get help etc. + govt. co. So policy bazaar provides the facility of app and I get insurance from govt. co. as well.

I did the full video survey of the car myself using app and it was approved within couple hours, policy issued same time.

Last edited:
Had worst experience with these company during covid, went for a surgery of family member due to major fracture
(around 8 days hospitalization and total bill of 215000 pre/post hospital)

Agent was able to get only 50000 that too after 9 months.

Changed mediclaim policy...

Which is the best car insurance co. to opt for esp. for a used car.

I was suggested Govt. based insurances as they are hassle-free and quick compared to private cos.

I had a good exp. with Icici lombard for a good 12yrs or so and this was till yr 2020. aka pre-covid era.
Dealers are suggesting me to opt for a govt. based insurance policies as they got less-headache, prompt claims and got hassle-free processes. I have zero exp. with any govt. policies till now hence the query.

But would like to have the opinions from people here.
I don't think there is a single best out there. Most of these insurance companies work similarly. Govt. Insurance maybe more reliable but private aren't really a headache either. Just look for the list of cashless garages of your preferred insurer (This is one of the most important, different insurers have different cashless garage list). Policy bazar has this information.

Incase of car is less then 5yrs old, get these 2 addons always:
1. Nil-dep or zero depreciation.
2. RTI (Return to invoice)

Have used digit....had good experience....previously used new india assurance....then it didn't had cashless back in 2014 now i don't know.....recently done Oriental insurance for another car before that a bajaj allianz for one more, was zero dep.

Currently on Tata AIG. Have made one claim (85K) . Overall, they are average considering the time taken from raising a claim request to receiving the car. The whole process took a month while the actual repair work was finished in 5 days. The whole time they would make excuses in the name of 'approvals' and not providing timely updates. I was expecting a quicker turn around time considering they were tied to A.S.S and cashless. It was lot slower than my previous claim (77k) with New India assurance which was not tied to A.S.S, the whole claim process took 2 weeks.

With renewal date just a few weeks away, am thinking of switching back to NIA and Tata AIG's renewal fee is lot higher (no claims in 2023) with no option to add or remove what I need, the only benefit am seeing is the commission to the agent tied to the service center.

EDIT: Tried buying insurance from ICICI Lombard and New India Assurance. Both decided to give me a big finger salute with a buggy interface.

Lombard
1702821821320.png

NIA:
1702821919227.png

Last edited:
Just look for the list of cashless garages of your preferred insurer (This is one of the most important, different insurers have different cashless garage list)
I'd say do the opposite: go to your regular service centre and check who they have tie-ups with for cashless claims. Then just get one of those. This way you just need to fill the claim form and... that's it. The insurance settles the bill directly with them, and you don't have to run behind them.

When my car's windshield was cracked, the bill was some 55-60k. I had to pay only some 5k (consumables & such) out of it. Without cashless, I'd have to pay the entire bill and after some time insurance would pay me. And the whole process was complete in the 3 days that the car was parked to let the glass bond with the sealant/glue/whatever.

But no matter which insurance you get, the claim amount you actually get is always dependent on your local surveyor, who often works with multiple companies, so basically it makes no difference. It is their job to minimize the pay out you get, hence saving the insurance money, and they get a bigger commission.

Yes, I was also preferring a government co. At first I was going with United Insurance as I have the same for two bikes at home (that too via policy bazaar) but the policy bazaar agent told me Oriental was coming out to be a little cheaper and I previously had used Oriental with a different car so went with that.

I wanted ability to use app to file claim/track status/get help etc. + govt. co. So policy bazaar provides the facility of app and I get insurance from govt. co. as well.

I did the full video survey of the car myself using app and it was approved within couple hours, policy issued same time.
Is Oriental offering cashless insurance?
Did you went for a third-party or comprehensive insurance?
And everything happens on policy bazaar app right? No need to visit to the insurers nearest garage/office ?

I'd say do the opposite: go to your regular service centre and check who they have tie-ups with for cashless claims
Yea that's a good idea as well, choose whatever method that suits you. The point i was making is to not go with a non-cashless insurance at all. While this seems obvious, a lot of people still make this mistake.

Back