Suggest basic dual band router and dongle for laptop

rdst_1

Skilled
Hi,
I live in a small 1000 sq ft 3-floor house, out of which only the ground floor is occupied for now. I live at a farm so have no wifi interference issues that one usually faces in cities. I also have a 7000sq ft cow shed approx 100ft away from the house. Right now I am using a single band router - TP-Link 941HP which has a very good range which easily covers both, my house and shed and provides good enough speed for my measly 12Mbps internet connection.
I am currently installing 4-5 wireless cameras in the cow shed and since the speeds (according to the testing I have already done) for viewing the live streams is not upto the mark, I've thought of upgrading my network by spending the least possible money I can. So, I am looking to shift the current router to the shed to handle the cameras and then hardwire it with Cat-6 cable to a new home router that I want to buy. Current number of devices at the home are also just 4 - 2 phones capable of connecting to 5Ghz , a TV and a laptop. So need a router which provides basic functionality with good enough range on both bands and thinking of upgrading the laptop capabilities by purchasing a good dual band dongle for it, but only if those are reliable. Had also faced some issues playing content from the laptop OTA on the TV, so thinking that this upgrade might solve that issue as well. The laptop is around 20ft away the router with 1 wall in between and the TV is 7ft away with 1 wall in between.
I have perused the market and read a few articles on smallnetbuilder which have convinced me that I basically only need a basic router. A natural upgrade seems to be the TP-Link C58HP, a copy of my current router (but with dual bands) which has shown to have excellent range and reliability for me,but willing to give other options a try. Please advice based on your experiences.
TIA

Assuming your shed cameras are 2.4ghz, 941HP is a great extended range router, shift that to cover the shed.

Get a tp-link a6/c6 for home, get a cat6 till shed and put 941HP there in access point mode(turn off dhcp, give it a static ip(check for subnets), assign that ip in home router).

But A6/c6 might not be enough for your home, across all three floors. Might have to take a look at other extended range routers in the future.

If range is to be given a priority then MR50G from Mercusys can be a good option both for 2.4 and 5ghz.
It is definitely one of the routers under consideration considering it's price point, as is Tenda offerings like their AC23.

Assuming your shed cameras are 2.4ghz, 941HP is a great extended range router, shift that to cover the shed.

Get a tp-link a6/c6 for home, get a cat6 till shed and put 941HP there in access point mode(turn off dhcp, give it a static ip(check for subnets), assign that ip in home router).

But A6/c6 might not be enough for your home, across all three floors. Might have to take a look at other extended range routers in the future.
That is exactly what the plan is currently. Earlier I was wanting to use the 941HP in the shed as a wireless range extender, but shifted the thinking to hardwiring it instead and using as an AP. Plus not worried about whole 3 floor coverage right now from the home router apart from 2.4Ghz throughout the whole 3 floors.
There are a lot of newer models it seems, like the Archer C64 in the C6/A6 range and similarly the Archer C80 instead of the Archer C9/A9 which are wave 2 AC products. And then there are outliers like the Mercusys and Tenda which are also extremely VFM, only if reliable.

I hope the cows don't mind the blinky lights at night, otherwise cover the lights with aluminium foil or something.

Due to the inverse square law on signal strength, 4 routers of Rs 1000 each distributed across an area work much much better than one router of Rs 4000.

If there is no constraint of multiple routers used as access points, it will give better coverage.

I hope the cows don't mind the blinky lights at night, otherwise cover the lights with aluminium foil or something.

Due to the inverse square law on signal strength, 4 routers of Rs 1000 each distributed across an area work much much better than one router of Rs 4000.

If there is no constraint of multiple routers used as access points, it will give better coverage.
Well, thanks to no wireless interference and the awesome range that my current router has, even 1 is more than enough. I get usable signal more than 200ft away from my house. So, this router will be more than enough to cover the shed by itself considering it already provides a signal far beyond the shed while sitting in my house. And it's workload isn't going to be high either. It will be connected to, at best, 6 wireless cameras.
Unfortunately, the C58HP is out of contention as it only has 100Mbps ethernet ports. I probably don't need more than 100Mbps speeds right now, but it will be a shame to buy a router without 1Gbps ports in 2021.

Bumping this thread for exposure.
Also, having read a few reviews, I would like to get the opinion of current users on the 5Ghz range of cheaper routers. Most people say that 5Ghz range deteriorates very quickly and some of the cheaper options barely provide 5Ghz range across 1 wall.
Also,although Smallnetbuilder hasn't tested after 2017,but their verdict that MU-MIMO doesn't really help in real world usage and all these numbers are just theoretical speeds. Yes, the receivers also need to support MU-MIMO, but even then the results were far from the claims. Their best AC router, the Netgear R7800, could only manage 900Mbps across 16 devices when tested, far from the claimed 2900Mbps speeds. Many of the others reputed options didn't even cross 600Mbps. So, going for these expensive routers only makes sense if they have better 5Ghz range, or if one has a large number of devices connected, which is something these devices excel at.

In my case, C6 provides 5ghz across all the rooms with total area of around 560 sq.feet. Both the number of antennas dedicated for 5g on your router and the brand offerings will determine your 5g experience when it comes to distance. For most 4 antennas based routers, it's 50-50 for 2.4 and 5g.
When I was searching for Mercusys I read the number was 4:2 for 5g:2.4g hence overall batter range on 5g.
But yes, Paisa Bolta hai. A higher priced branded routers should help you with what they actually advertise than those who just put it to be in limelight. You would be the best person to do the cost benefit analysis.

The laptop is around 20ft away the router with 1 wall in between and the TV is 7ft away with 1 wall in between.
so there are two walls in between tv and laptop ?. tell a bit more please.
It is definitely one of the routers under consideration considering it's price point, as is Tenda offerings like their AC23.

That is exactly what the plan is currently. Earlier I was wanting to use the 941HP in the shed as a wireless range extender, but shifted the thinking to hardwiring it instead and using as an AP. Plus not worried about whole 3 floor coverage right now from the home router apart from 2.4Ghz throughout the whole 3 floors.
There are a lot of newer models it seems, like the Archer C64 in the C6/A6 range and similarly the Archer C80 instead of the Archer C9/A9 which are wave 2 AC products. And then there are outliers like the Mercusys and Tenda which are also extremely VFM, only if reliable.
For the same price as Archer C80, TPlink Wifi 6 Ax1500 is a better option. A little headroom is always welcomed for upcoming new devices.
Bumping this thread for exposure.
Also, having read a few reviews, I would like to get the opinion of current users on the 5Ghz range of cheaper routers. Most people say that 5Ghz range deteriorates very quickly and some of the cheaper options barely provide 5Ghz range across 1 wall.
Also,although Smallnetbuilder hasn't tested after 2017,but their verdict that MU-MIMO doesn't really help in real world usage and all these numbers are just theoretical speeds. Yes, the receivers also need to support MU-MIMO, but even then the results were far from the claims. Their best AC router, the Netgear R7800, could only manage 900Mbps across 16 devices when tested, far from the claimed 2900Mbps speeds. Many of the others reputed options didn't even cross 600Mbps. So, going for these expensive routers only makes sense if they have better 5Ghz range, or if one has a large number of devices connected, which is something these devices excel at.
Theoretical and claimed speeds are always different from actual speeds.
I am also using 5ghz for the first time, here' s what I experienced.
Range on Jio fiber router 5GHz is just 1.5 to 2 meters without any wall or door in between :(, 2.4 on this is also very poor compared to my asus N12HP which has got 9dbi antennas like your tplink.
5Ghz on my new asus ax5400 is like 4mtrs max with 1 solid wall in between.
When placed it a central hall location it covers approx. 1200-1300sq feet area and 1 room on first floor just above router location, but it's a 15k router with many antennas.
2.4Ghz coverage on this is like 40% better than my old N12HP which is 6-7yr old router. No clue about budget 5ghz routers.
Over all I am happy with this new asus router, Probably the costliest router I ever bought but like kaleen bhaiya said Paisa Bolta hai.

@rdst_1 I think it's time to upgrade your 12mbps internet plan to something atleast 25-30mbps, It 's another bottleneck in your network.
A higher priced branded routers should help you with what they actually advertise than those who just put it to be in limelight. You would be the best person to do the cost benefit analysis.
Upto some extent it's fine but still fails to deliver promised speeds. I am not using a flagship but it isn't a cheap router aswell.
I tried copying some data from my desktop to a external Samsung T5 SSD attached to router as a NAS.
2.5Gbit intel lan port from mobo is directly connected to 1Gbps Lan port on Asus ax5400 using CAT 8 Cable.
I am getting copying speeds of 55-60MB/s, which is like 500-600mbps only. when I saw some reviews I figured out it's not a flaw with my unit.
other similar and other brands routers are performing like this only, offcourse some flagships are a notch better.

In my case, C6 provides 5ghz across all the rooms with total area of around 560 sq.feet. Both the number of antennas dedicated for 5g on your router and the brand offerings will determine your 5g experience when it comes to distance. For most 4 antennas based routers, it's 50-50 for 2.4 and 5g.
When I was searching for Mercusys I read the number was 4:2 for 5g:2.4g hence overall batter range on 5g.
But yes, Paisa Bolta hai. A higher priced branded routers should help you with what they actually advertise than those who just put it to be in limelight. You would be the best person to do the cost benefit analysis.
5ghz across 560sq ft should be good enough for me, although I would love if it was able to cover the whole 1000sq ft area of 1 floor that I have.

so there are two walls in between tv and laptop ?. tell a bit more please.
There are 2 walls between laptop and TV, but since the router is in the middle and communication is going to happen through the router, so technically I've to worry about 1 wall only, in each case.

For the same price as Archer C80, TPlink Wifi 6 Ax1500 is a better option. A little headroom is always welcomed for upcoming new devices.
If you check out the Smallnetbuilder review of these entry level AX routers, you will see that almost all of them have skimped on radios so they have even worse performance than the AC routers available at similar prices. I'd rather buy an expensive AC router or a mid-range AX router ( TP-Link AX73 was available for 10.8k recently) than buy any of these entry level ones. Only the Netgear RAX20 is worth buying but they have priced it much higher than their US price, especially when compared to TP-Link offerings.
5Ghz on my new asus ax5400 is like 4mtrs max with 1 solid wall in between.
When placed it a central hall location it covers approx. 1200-1300sq feet area and 1 room on first floor just above router location, but it's a 15k router with many antennas.
A 4m range on 5Ghz sounds impressive until you look at the price tag. The inherently low range of the 5Ghz network is the reason that Mesh networks (when implemented properly) are superior than a single expensive router when it comes to 5Ghz range, but they have their own set of issues which still need lot of ironing out, especially in the budget segment.
Upto some extent it's fine but still fails to deliver promised speeds. I am not using a flagship but it isn't a cheap router aswell.
I tried copying some data from my desktop to a external Samsung T5 SSD attached to router as a NAS.
2.5Gbit intel lan port from mobo is directly connected to 1Gbps Lan port on Asus ax5400 using CAT 8 Cable.
I am getting copying speeds of 55-60MB/s, which is like 500-600mbps only. when I saw some reviews I figured out it's not a flaw with my unit.
other similar and other brands routers are performing like this only, offcourse some flagships are a notch better.

You should be getting close to 900Mbps in wired setup easily. This is the one test that not many routers fail, unless it is a very long run of the wires. If I had a budget of 15k,I would buy the Netgear R7800 eyes closed, but I am trying to make do in 1/3rd of that right now.

Why not have a look at these pods... If 1000 sq feet is a requirement then these surely meet them. Many friends told me to go for this when I tried to extend my wifi range using range extenders.
TP-Link Deco E4 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System, Seamless Roaming and Speedy (AC1200), Work with Amazon Echo/Alexa and Wi-Fi Booster, Parent Control Router, Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07P7KM4Y6/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_6E18EG5S2YMW4SQZS4W0

It's a bit costly and I haven't used these, but I can definitely vouch on the advice given to me.

If you check out the Smallnetbuilder review of these entry level AX routers, you will see that almost all of them have skimped on radios so they have even worse performance than the AC routers available at similar prices. I'd rather buy an expensive AC router or a mid-range AX router ( TP-Link AX73 was available for 10.8k recently) than buy any of these entry level ones. Only the Netgear RAX20 is worth buying but they have priced it much higher than their US price, especially when compared to TP-Link offerings.
Yes, I wasn't aware of relatively poor performance of entry level ax routers. Don't know about smallnetbuilder but thanks for updating me.
I do agree, a high end AC will perform better than budget AX router.
A 4m range on 5Ghz sounds impressive until you look at the price tag. The inherently low range of the 5Ghz network is the reason that Mesh networks (when implemented properly) are superior than a single expensive router when it comes to 5Ghz range, but they have their own set of issues which still need lot of ironing out, especially in the budget segment.
I was also planning for a wired mesh for my 3 floors but now I don't feel a need for 2nd router.
This ax 5400 covers 2 floors with (1400sq feet each floor). Excellent coverage with superb performance.
On ground floor I am getting 142mbps (exactly same as wired for my desktop)(Jio 150mbps plan)
On 1st floor it's 70-90 mbps on 2.4GHz, even 142mbps for 5GHz in room just above router.
for 2nd floor it varies from min. 20-22mbps on extreme outer corners to max. 45-60mbps.
I don't 've any usage on 1st and 2nd floor, It's just a couple of wifi cams installed on 1st floor.
Over all I am covered incase I want another cam on top floor.

This bundled Jio router is absolutely rubbish. Both routers are placed just 12 feet apart (technically wired backhaul:))
You should be getting close to 900Mbps in wired setup easily. This is the one test that not many routers fail, unless it is a very long run of the wires. If I had a budget of 15k,I would buy the Netgear R7800 eyes closed, but I am trying to make do in 1/3rd of that right now.
Not happening :(. I am using just 20feet long cable.
Just now I've checked the read speed, it's 800mbps or average 90MB/s (copied a 10GB file from NAS to desktop).
Write speed varies between 55-62MB/s
I don't know if this dong knows is sponsored or some what unbiased, but here's a little comparison (see other router's NAS performance is somewhat similar)
webpage link - https://dongknows.com/asus-rog-strix-gs-ax5400-vs-rt-ax82u-review/

Asus-GS-AX5400-NAS-Performance.jpg
if these results are true then mine is also OK :rolleyes:
I hope I am not spoiling your thread.

Just curious, Why would you buy Netgear R7800 for 15k when some good WIFI 6 routers are available for that price.
I mean this Netgear is excellent but is there any specific reason ?

Why not have a look at these pods... If 1000 sq feet is a requirement then these surely meet them. Many friends told me to go for this when I tried to extend my wifi range using range extenders.
TP-Link Deco E4 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System, Seamless Roaming and Speedy (AC1200), Work with Amazon Echo/Alexa and Wi-Fi Booster, Parent Control Router, Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07P7KM4Y6/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_6E18EG5S2YMW4SQZS4W0

It's a bit costly and I haven't used these, but I can definitely vouch on the advice given to me.
These are good and will easily cover 1000-1200sq feet unless there's some major obstruction.
As per reviews a few users are disappointed with wifi coverage but I think it's better overall when used in wired mode.

Last edited:
I don't have the need of a mesh system currently because only the ground floor is currently occupied. Also good thing about any of the new routers is that most of them have support for the respective mesh technologies of the manufacturer. So one can add another router later on and then use both routers as a mesh system. Both Asus and TP-Link have routers supporting this system so now one doesn't have to buy the mesh routers specifically. With the current mesh offerings available, the lower versions aren't really that good in wireless mode. It's the expensive ones with with dedicated wireless backhaul that work well. Or one can just have a hardwired setup with the cheaper ones or the mesh supporting routers as well.

there are still few questiins up in the Air

1)your wireless cameras connect to which band is it just 2.4 ghz or it even would support 5 ghz band. i would rather recommend you to use wired ip cameras and place a managed network switch with POE .things and communication would be rock solid.

2) could you try to directly transfer file from camera to your laptop and vice versa and do a packet capture on your laptop using Wireshark check for the errors . most probably there could be buffer full from either device. (even if you do a file transfer from your phone to laptop using a ftp and do a pcap some phones would send buffer full messages , which indicates its not the in between router but your end device which is not capable to handle traffic ) . I really think your router is upto the mark but either of your end device is shitting most probably laptop
check what wifi card is present on your laptop and upgrade it with a better one also check whther your laptop will allow replacing the wifi card ,another good and sturdy option is

https://www.amazon.in/D-Link-Systems-Wireless-Adapter-DWA-182/dp/B0099XFRIY

its large for laptop but will give you wire speeds better than those small / micro wifi dongles

Last edited:
The cameras don't support 5Ghz. I don't think any of the cheap ones do. No point going for a wired setup as area is large while number of cameras are low. Also, these new cameras, even the Hikvision ones under the name of Ezviz, don't have an ethernet port. Have been using this current Tapo C200 camera since October and have faced no issues till date. Have heard good experience from a few other TEians as well so going to continue with this setup for now. Wireless range is already good enough, but it will be great once I move the router to the shed itself.
Yes, a wifi upgrade for the laptop is definitely in order as written in the OP and thank you for your suggestion. I am going to try and stick with the same manufacturer for both the router and the dongle. I think an AC600 dongle will be more than enough although this Dlink one you suggested seems to be cheaper despite being AC1300. I am leaning towards TP-Link AC600 High gain version which might be better in terms of range capabilities in 5Ghz.

So, the Archer C80 arrived today. I did some testing with Wi-fi Analyzer app and placed right in the centre of the house, the router will be able to cover my 1000sq ft house, but that's about it. The 2.4Ghz range is awesome and equal to, if not better than the router it is replacing, which is moving to the cow shed.
Surprisingly, the range loss is much lesser if I move to the first and second floor whereas it loses range more quickly horizontally. Currently it is installed at the front of the ground floor and the signal is lost at the diametrically opposite corner of the house. This tells me that if I will place it at the centre of the first floor, it should be able to cover all 3 floors. Since we currently only occupy the ground floor, this theory will only get tested in the future.

Also, thanks to the router, I found out that my TV also supports 5Ghz band, which is great news I believe. So after getting a dongle for my laptop, all the devices in my house will support 5Ghz and the router will be able to provide the 5Ghz signal throughout the house.

Back