Storage Solutions Suggest a "very budget friendly" home NAS set-up and a 2TB portable hard disk.

balladeer

Disciple
I've a basic NAS set-up (1.5TB) that I inherited from my cousin and didn't do any changes to it. But it's 5 years old and I've hearing funny sounds now and it has become too slow.

I am going for a complete overhaul - start from scratch. My budget is 10-15K (for the set-up). Can I have one for less? I do not have much idea about this. What kind of set-up can I get for this price? I want a minimal simple solution, nothing military grade or storm proof (I also backup to CrashPlan and Glacier). I want 2-3TB disk space.

I am also looking for an external hard disk (2TB) - value for money. Is HGST Tours 1.5TB at Rs 5300 a good buy? Though it's not 2TB.

Please suggest budget friendly options for my NAS set-up and a 2TB external hard disk.

Firstly, I think you should look at what you plan to do with the NAS. Do you plan to use it download stuff? Is it going to only serve Data/Movies/Videos/etc?

If you want a simple solution which will not need much tinkering, the look at Seagate Central or WD mybook live.

if you want something for the power user, and it should also do backup to Crashplan/Glacier, and you dont mind something a bit powerhungry, then you are better off with a Windows/Linux x86 Box. Costly, but multi purpose.

Want something thats dirt cheap, and sips power? A used Seagate Go Flex Home/Net with the extra HDDs. mybook live too.

Cheap - Rapsberry Pi with USB HDDs. Though severely lacking in speeds.

I would suggest to not skimp on the cost. Although it may cost a pretty penny initially, in the long run, x86 boxes are my weapon of choice.

the look at Seagate Central or WD mybook live

Looks interesting. 2TB for 9.5K and AirTel has 11+K for 3TB. Will explore. Are there other good options in this segment?

better off with a Windows/Linux x86 Box

That's a neat suggestion but that's an overkill. I can set-up and do the tinkering but I would prefer something zero-conf kinda thing while still keeping the cost low.

A used Seagate Go Flex Home/Net with the extra HDDs. mybook live too

Used? Won't that be risky? I am really not comfortable buying used electronics products online that too in India.

Cheap - Rapsberry Pi with USB HDDs

I have a model B eating dust and you are right the speeds were morbidly slow.

Thanks man.

I bought a WD 4tb from ebay for 13k recently... Its a nice NAS with gigabit ethernet/USB 3.0 and plenty of media/airplay/itunes server support and few decent apps to use it on cell phones and tablets...

I bought a WD 4tb from ebay for 13k recently... Its a nice NAS with gigabit ethernet/USB 3.0 and plenty of media/airplay/itunes server support and few decent apps to use it on cell phones and tablets...

Be sure to check out. Wd community, you can add transmission and other stuff to this drive

Back