Suggest a USB data card to use with MacBook Air

cyberboy_varad

Disciple
Nov 16, 2008
Karad, MH
askvarad.blogspot.com
Hello,
I want to buy a USB data card will be using it with Vodafone 3G on my MacBook Air. I went through couple of threads here, but was doubtful if it works perfectly with Mac. No budget restrictions, make sure it doesn't have frequent internet disconnection problem. :)

Thank You

cyberboy_varad

Disciple
Nov 16, 2008
Karad, MH
askvarad.blogspot.com
@vivek.krishnan I'll be preferring unlocked data cards, as in case if I wish to change the carrier.

@babhishek : I've searched quite a lot over the internet for this, but didn't find a good dependable USB card.

I found that Huawei E303C is good one, but many users are facing problem after connecting it to USB 3.0 port. Can anyone suggest an exact model?

cyberboy_varad

Disciple
Nov 16, 2008
Karad, MH
askvarad.blogspot.com
I figured out the issue. Actually no USB Data card will work fine with MacBook Air mid-2012 and later and the issue is not the operating system, but the USB 3.0 port. These newer MacBooks have unusual USB 3.0 port (according to Apple Store guy) I don't know what he meant, and he couldn't explain it properly.

So if you want to use Data Cards on newer Macs you'll have to get USB 2.0 hub and connect the data card to it. This is the only way to get it working.

I've finalised Huawei E3131 and Huawei E303C, how good are they? Also suggest if you know any better.

babhishek

Skilled
Feb 3, 2008
I figured out the issue. Actually no USB Data card will work fine with MacBook Air mid-2012 and later and the issue is not the operating system, but the USB 3.0 port. These newer MacBooks have unusual USB 3.0 port (according to Apple Store guy) I don't know what he meant, and he couldn't explain it properly.

So if you want to use Data Cards on newer Macs you'll have to get USB 2.0 hub and connect the data card to it. This is the only way to get it working.

I've finalised Huawei E3131 and Huawei E303C, how good are they? Also suggest if you know any better.

just get a USB extension cable! voila!

astrono_me

Disciple
Feb 26, 2007
Bangalore
pixelshooter.net

I have been using an MTS dongle with my 13" MBA (2012) successfully. And yes, I connect it directly to the USB 3.0 port.