Hey guys!
I have a OLD P4 system.
It's config:
Pentium 4 3.0 GHz
1 GB RAM 667 DDR2
Motherboard 945 chipset dont remember the make
160 gb hdd
cd rom etc

Basically I need this for some small office work Tally etc.
THE BOARD has probably went KAPUT! So, I need to buy a new board. I am looking for some board which is combo, ie supports ddr2+ddr3. I know gigabyte Has one g41 combo, but the pc guy said it will not support. While gigabyte site says it does, but CPU support list:
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Socket 775 - Intel G41 - GA-G41M-Combo (rev. 1.3)
doesn't list my processor.
So, guys suggest me a board what to get or the cheapest option to get my system repaired.

P.S.: I AM NOT EVEN SURE THE BOARD IS KAPUT. The pc doesn't boot. some hardware guy came and checked up and suspects that the board has gone. How can I check that? I get no display, HDD light cd rom all blink, fan runs etc, but NO BEEP, NO display. the HDD light is rock steady orange doesn't flicker/blink. What maybe wrong? I tried removing the ram and running it, but still it didn't boot neither a Beep.

guys, I gotta get the mobo on Monday. So please do reply
smile.gif

Also, how much can I get for my DDR2 RAM 667 FSB 1 GB.

@above, mate yes I saw that it does support P4 and DDR2 + 3, but the CPU support list doesn't contain my processor. So should I take chances? I guess no.

Pernicious
If the mobo CPU support list page doesnt contain the name of your CPU then usually it doesnt support your CPU. Dont waste your money on it.
But do use a CPU-Z software and tell us the exact processor and motherboard that you currently use so that we can help you out better.

CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

hey mate, thanks for the reply. I also don't wanna risk it then. I cannot tell the exact model of the CPU as the PC is dead :/
So please suggest some mobo. All I can tell its a P4 3.0 GHz. What option would be better? get a cheaper board which has ddr2 support for say 1900+tax and keep my RAM or get a mobo with ddr3 support 2300+tax and sell my ram for 300 + new ram ddr3? how much will 2gb cost?

Is your P4 an LGA 775 socket chip?
If so that G41 board should work.

What option would be better? get a cheaper board which has ddr2 support for say 1900+tax and keep my RAM or get a mobo with ddr3 support 2300+tax and sell my ram for 300 + new ram ddr3? how much will 2gb cost?
Depends if you need more RAM.
For price reference, 1GB DDR2 and 2GB DDR3 cost approx 700 bucks.

Is your P4 an LGA 775 socket chip?
If so that G41 board should work.

Depends if you need more RAM.
For price reference, 1GB DDR2 and 2GB DDR3 cost approx 700 bucks.

yes it is a LGA775 board. But, it will not work because the CPU support list doesn't list it.

hey mate, thanks for the reply. I also don't wanna risk it then. I cannot tell the exact model of the CPU as the PC is dead :/
So please suggest some mobo. All I can tell its a P4 3.0 GHz. What option would be better? get a cheaper board which has ddr2 support for say 1900+tax and keep my RAM or get a mobo with ddr3 support 2300+tax and sell my ram for 300 + new ram ddr3? how much will 2gb cost?

What about G31 chipsets, have you tried those out. Though I doubt they will be supporting your processor. Because the G31 / G41 / P45 chipsets were contemporary releases by Intel and they phased out support for the vestigial 'Prescott' legacy architecture based components [at that time].

So I think you are back to the drawing board for a new system; do check and let us know if you can find a compatible motherboard OR not, because anything older than the G31 / G41 offerings will no longer be in mainstream circulation. Cheerio!!

Your CPU model could be either a P4 53x or a 63x if its 3.0ghz and LGA 775.

The CPU support list is not entirely accurate.
As Alpha says they usually focus on supporting newer processors, so they dont bother testing older models.
The gigabyte board you mention supports a 2.8 GHz prescott with the same FSB, voltage, stepping as the 3.0 prescott.
The only difference is the multiplier which is not affected by the motherboard. So there is practically no reason why it wouldn't work.
Worst case scenario is your BIOS wont recognise the CPU code and won't display the correct model number, nothing more.

Still.. if you must have CPU compatibility..
MSI G41M-P26 - MSI Global - Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more
Asus P5G41TM LX - ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS P5G41T-M LX
Both are available on flipkart.

Back