Suggest a Microscope EDIT: Bought Radical RXL-4B

Err... What's been happenning ? :angelic:

PLENTY ....@biozen & @logistopath

I have booked my microscope (at last) and expecting delivery by this saturday or monday. Price is 18k (after some discount) :shy:

After all the wonderful discussions we have had here - I took the time to mull over everything over the past 10 days. I pondered over each and every word & aspect that both Mohit and logistopath shared (from their rich experiences). However, the price of those models 30k and above was a deterrent to me at this stage. I tried to push myself .... but just ran outa breadth at the finishing line each time. I meanwhile poured over scores of you-tube videos and online resources & decided to strike a balance somewhere.

I realized that we will not see twice as much with a scope that costs TWICE or THRICE as much - besides we are not into "hard-core" microscopy at this stage. I will further need to spend 5-10k on peripheral things [collection/mini library of permanent slides; stains; slide making kit etc]

I was and am constrained by my budget and the fact that it is primarily meant for my daughter (who is just in her 7th grade) - so I consider this as an educational hobby (for the whole family too) cum investment. This was & is the "primary objective" of getting a microscope.

So if all goes well & she develops a serious interest in "microscopy" then in maybe 5-6 years time, I will sell off this scope (or hand it over to any deserving institution) & then migrate to the habitat of the "gods" - Nikon or an Olympus.

And now, I am too embarrassed to proceed any further (or reveal any further details)...... until I lay my hands on the "actual scope" and see if my gamble was worth it. So apologies to you both ......

I shall definately post a "review"..... BUT ONLY after getting familiar with my new baby.

Thanks a tonne guyz
Terry

Last edited by a moderator:
Vision 2000?

Nooooo ... I ruled out the Vision 2000 (halogen) as you had mentioned
..... Regarding your query about Vision 2000, its a decent microscope. But has certain issues with the light source electronics. Tends to blow a lot. Repairs are usually: (1) replacement of the bulb (Rs. 150-200) frequently or (2) replacement of light source PCB (~Rs. 3K) in a year or so.
besides its pricing was going over my budget.
Like I said
......And now, I am too embarrassed to proceed any further (or reveal any further details)...... until I lay my hands on the "actual scope" and see if my gamble was worth it. So apologies to you both ......I shall definately post a "review"..... BUT ONLY after getting familiar with my new baby.

At 18k (plus I am told that I now have to pay octroi/ebay/Blue-dart/shipped from Ambala) & packaged as a "gift" ...dunno why?

BUT ok ....why prolong the (stupid) suspense.

It's Radical's RXL-4B - got it for 18k (after the discount using my ICICI card).

I know you may BANG your head :banghead: in disbelief. And like I said at 18k ... it's a huge gamble.

I checked through sources and found it to be comparable to Labomed Vision 2000. I pray & hope that the "optics" are really good [not expecting it to be like Nikon or Olympus +40k scopes]. I will have to perform a whole lot of tests to see that there are no (or minimal) aberrations. I ruled out their other models in the 13k & 16k category as the above scope had the best optics & build.

Mohit you are a professional and I totally understand your depth of knowledge and especially your understanding of "ground-realities" - manufacture/assembling of these scopes in India, so often recommendations do get difficult for a lay-user or a hobbyist who is just venturing into microscopy.

I am likewise finding it difficult to recommend (on another thread) telescopes to folks who do not wish to spend too much. Similarly in my professional field of Field of Film/Video & now 3D Animation for the past 20 years - I have used the best of the very best equipment & softwares at my workplace (always used high end Nvidia Quadro GPU's), so I struggle to suggest builds to a newbie.

In the final analysis - we discover options and alternatives & if they work well. Then it's a search & a job well done.

@terence_fdes How has the experience been thus far..? Keep us posted. :)

We have been freaking out (I and my daughter).My daughter uses it independently on her own now.:angelic:

The 40x objective poses a lot of challenges [getting things sharply into focus] and the 100x I have'nt tried as yet (those guys forgot to send the imersion oil).

I need to buy it locally in Mumbai (along with a some stainers, about 4-5 cavity slides) dunno where to get them from. Parle book depot has only the cavity slides.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great.. About the stains/slides, if you are looking for those plain unprepared ones, you could get them at stores that supply laboratory items/chemicals to pathology labs. You just need to know what exactly you want. If you are looking for those readymade slides, the best way would be to contact a few schools in your area and find out who supplies them with slides.

We have been freaking out (I and my daughter).My daughter uses it independently on her own now.:angelic:

The 40x objective poses a lot of challenges [getting things sharply into focus] and the 100x I have'nt tried as yet (those guys forgot to send the imersion oil).

I need to buy it locally in Mumbai (along with a some stainers, about 4-5 cavity slides) dunno where to get them from. Parle book depot has only the cavity slides.

How is your experience with the microscope so far. Let me know.

Thanks
Pav

Its been awesome. However since 23rd Sept I am no longer at home... now working in Malaysia. So its kept aside.
While I was at home I used to freak out with it along with my daughter. I have no complaints at all regarding the "quality" of the instrument. Plus the LED lamp is great (as compared to tungsten).
If u are thinking of buying one then this model is good..
Just that its pricey.

Its been awesome. However since 23rd Sept I am no longer at home... now working in Malaysia. So its kept aside.
While I was at home I used to freak out with it along with my daughter. I have no complaints at all regarding the "quality" of the instrument. Plus the LED lamp is great (as compared to tungsten).
If u are thinking of buying one then this model is good..
Just that its pricey.

Thanks a lot for taking time to reply and it was useful. Appreciate it.

Thanks
Pav

Back