Suggest a Microscope EDIT: Bought Radical RXL-4B

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
All,

I am looking to buy a Microscope for my daughter (she is studying in the 7th grade & this is a one time investment).
Budget: upto 15k (inclusive of 50/100 Biology slides set)
By the first week of June

I did some R&D over the past week and revised my school/college days gyaan. However, I am still looking for opinions - Where to buy it from & What is best within my budget.

REQUIREMENTS (the scope should contain the following)
Monocular vs Binocular [I still cannot decide on which is better]
Objective Lenses: Glass achromatic (option - "semi-plan" optics)
Eyepiece: Preferably "widefield"
Focussing knobs: Both Coarse & Fine-focus
Slip Clutch
Mechanical Stage - very important
Iris Diaphragm ( no disk disphragm) & Abbe Condenser (optional)
Illumination : LED with rechargeable batteries - which makes it portable [This is a very important element as I do not want Tungsten/Halogen Bulb or Flourescent lighting]
DIN specification (if possible - so that I can add any brand's lenses in future + other parts if necessary)

Optional Requirements
Camera with USB/Firewire
Oil Immersion lens

Some preliminary observations:
1. The branded scopes are really very expensive [Leica; Carl-Zeiss; Konus; Celestron & not easily available in India]
2. ebay has the maximum scopes on sale - BUT ALL of them are from one seller only "microscopesind" - I am not sure about the quality [the optics need to be very, very good] or which Brand are they assembling & selling
I have shortlisted this scope (which meets most of my requirements.
3. If I have to order from Amazon/Newegg - I am not sure what will be the final landed price (considering this package is going to be heavy).
4. Most Indian sites have "Tungsten lighting" scopes & I have ruled this out.
5. I may pick up the slides from here - see the pdf list

So I hope there:) are folks on TE who can help me out
Cheers
Terry

tagging @namrata[DOUBLEPOST=1369380898][/DOUBLEPOST]This was the best article I came across on "How To Buy The Right Microscope"
- The author is also the CEO & Owner of Greatscopes.com - I really wish I could get their scopes (but shipping & customs would be very high)[DOUBLEPOST=1369443373][/DOUBLEPOST]BUMP - NO ONE ON TE WHO IS INTERESTED IN WATCHING THE macro WORLD WE LIVE IN :oops:

C'mon guyz & gals - surely there must be some folks who are'nt afraid of germs :eek: n bacteria n the micro-cellular world :nailbiting:..... post your thoughts

Last edited by a moderator:
I only used the microscopes available at school or college. After that, the only microscopic views I've seen were on TV thanks to discovery and ngc channels. :D
Its like buying a telescope I guess. After the novelty wears off, it will remain in a corner of the shelf.

@terence_fdes well, i have no idea regarding microscopes. i've never dealt with them except for few occasions in school. i particularly like the ones with binocular head. and i guess there should be a way to replace the tungsten/halogen bulb with an LED. and then you can always get a portable gooseneck LED light.

the model you've shortlisted looks good with binocular head and LED. i've no idea if it's 'really' good.:rolleyes:

Ahhh thanks folks for your responses ... I feel at home now :angelic: (I was beginning to feel like an Alien out here :D).

And nopes @bottle - I'm just an 'ol wizened dinosaur on TE :jimlad:; @6pack - I refute your conclusions about the "microscope" :arghh:....see reasons listed below.

Unlike a Telescope - the functioning & whose beauty is dependent on so many external factors & many of which are not in our control - crystal clear & non-polluted skies; drawbacks of living in a megapolis (where the night lights are as bright as day); portability; seasonal viewing; overall cost (a really good scope costs between 15-60k); overall viewing objects are limitted to our solar-system & it's neighbourhood only [beyond that, for really deep-sky viewing we are restricted with our scopes aperture]; periodic callibration and so on....

Where as in a Microscope - none of the above factors are applicable; there are a zillion things in the living & non-living world [visible & invisible] - whose beauty can be studied and examined from the closest possible way & LIVE. In fact in just 15k - you can get a really powerful microscope - 2000x magnification (which is more than sufficient to meet any serious hobyists requirements). If the optics of the scope are top notch - then it will last you a lifetime & with almost zero-maintenance.

I am looking at a long-term investment for my daughter (besides I too will enjoy it). We have already started discussing the unlimitted possibilities of using this scope. I will study myself and teach her how to prepare slides - there are 100's of things in and around the house to all the tiny denizens in the garden. In fact as the rains start - we will gather samples of pond water and look at the protozoans and other invisible things that exist. Each night as we sleep and get up in the morning - our body has shed thousands of skin cells (I need to figure out how to gather these cells :wacky:) ..... and so on.

Who knoz - I may even try putting my i7-3770k processor under the lens & show my kiddo the billions of transistors :D

Thanks @namrata - as of now I am locked onto the model that I have shortlisted & started communications with the seller "microscopesind/EBAY" with all my querries - they have been quick in responding. I have already looked at over 50 scopes.... :eek: I am being greedy and still looking at getting a "usb camera too" - which can record in 1920 x 1080, juggling to fit it within my budget. I also came across some models on global ebay - http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewI...lMetal-Student-Biological-Compound-Microscope- | http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewI...ruments-MicroExplorer-100-Microscope-Kit__New | http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewI...0X-Light-Compound-Microscope-Head-Rotates-360-
Sellers are from the US (more like fly-by-night operators) and tech details are insufficient. So these are OUT of my radar.

EDIT ..... adding something very interesting @6pack

HOW MANY SKIN CELLS DO YOU SHED EACH DAY
If you're wondering exactly how many skin cells fall off, get ready for some staggering numbers. Scientists estimate that the human body is made up of around 10 trillion cells in total. Your skin makes up about 16 percent of your body weight, which means you have roughly 1.6 trillion skin cells [source: BBC]. Of course, this estimate can vary tremendously according to a person's size. The important thing is that you have a lot of skin cells. Of those billions of skin cells, between 30,000 and 40,000 of them fall off every hour. Over a 24-hour period, you lose almost a million skin cells [source: Boston Globe].
Where do they all go? The dust that collects on your tables, TV, windowsills and on those picture frames that are so hard to get clean is made mostly from dead human skin cells. In other words, your house is filled with former bits of yourself. In one year, you'll shed more than 8 pounds (3.6 kilograms) of dead skin. It gets even grosser: Your house is also filled with trillions of microscopic life forms called dust mites that eat your old dead skin.
If you can stomach learning lots more information about your skin.....
and so many other things - use a Microscope@Home ;)

You seem like a biology fan or simply inquisitive like me. I like to watch any subject under the sun if its on tv. :D

You should watch discovery and ngc channels. These things have already been covered by them in full detail in HD. I think the program was called "bugged" or something like that. Used to come during dinner time too.

Similarly, they have shown animal autopsies and some other programs on biology during dinner time so you can digest food properly.
I agree that exploring on your own is a more thrilling experience. ;)

Hello Terence,

In my offline life, amongst other things we sell and service Olympus microscopes.
Here is the list: http://www.biozen.co.in/microscope/microscopes.htm
At the very outset, let me be clear that I'm not plugging our microscopes, because frankly Olympus microscopes are a little expensive compared to the 'no-name' brands like you linked to on ebay.in. Btw, this is the actual site of the seller: http://www.radicalindia.com/microscope.html

I love talking about microscopes, know a little bit and so will answer your queries as much as I can:
REQUIREMENTS (the scope should contain the following)
Monocular vs Binocular [I still cannot decide on which is better]
Somebody working for hours on microscope - Binocular. For your daughter and in your budget - Monocular.
Reason: The low cost binoculars aren't very well made. Both eyepieces may not be centered properly, so each eye sees a slightly different field and that may cause a eyestrain. Also, a monocular can be upgraded to a bino later if you feel like it, by buying a separate bino head. Replacing the head takes about 30 seconds.

Objective Lenses: Glass achromatic (option - "semi-plan" optics)
There's really no such things as "semi-plan" optics. They are plan or they are not. Plan means that all of the field that you see is completely focused from center to periphery. In non-plan lenses, if the periphery is in focus, the center is out and vice versa. Even in non-plan lenses, the goods ones have a fair bit of field focused at the same time compared to lower quality ones - probably, what marketing guys say "semi-plan".

Eyepiece: Preferably "widefield"
Most of them are widefield these days. Shows a larger field. But related to 'plan'-ness objectives. You can have wide field of view, but what good is it if the field ain't focused.

Focussing knobs: Both Coarse & Fine-focus
Almost all microscopes have separate knobs. The classification is: 1. Separate knobs, or 2. Coaxial knobs. In coaxial knobs, the outer knob does coarse focusing, while the inner coaxial knob is for fine. Ergonomics basically. Your fingers/hand don't have to move much hunting for the knobs while focusing.

Gotta rush. More later.

Wow & thanks @biozen [TE can spring "professional" surprises] :happy:.

I would certainly appreciate all the help that you can give.
In my offline life, amongst other things we sell and service Olympus microscopes.
Here is the list: http://www.biozen.co.in/microscope/microscopes.htm
At the very outset, let me be clear that I'm not plugging our microscopes, because frankly Olympus microscopes are a little expensive compared to the 'no-name' brands like you linked to on ebay.in

Let me re-iterate that I am a person who always believes in spending money wisely & therein going for the best [here the build quality & optics]. However, my searches led me to a dead end (where quality microscopes were available in India & also with their prices mentioned). I have already downloaded your product list & will be going through it carefully. Strangely, I never came across your site :banghead:

Btw, this is the actual site of the seller: http://www.radicalindia.com/microscope.html
Yes I saw this site but could not link it to the same ebay thing. Thanks. Meanwhile just as I was responding here, I just recd a reply from the ebay seller mentioning his brand name "radical" .... I have been in touch with them during the day & they were very quick in replying.

Rest of what you have mentioned I am aware of (albeit in a theoretical way), unlike your own practical knowledge - which matters more to me.

Here are some doubts/queries that I still have
1] Monocular vs Binocular
- There are times, that I or my daughter will use the scope for long hours & I thought that a mono was always going to be a "headache" (not in the literal sense). Moreover, I use spectacles - so with diopteric adjustments on the paired eye-piece lens I could manage to get precise & accurate views..... and thus eliminate the problem listed below (with quality scopes)
The low cost binoculars aren't very well made. Both eyepieces may not be centered properly, so each eye sees a slightly different field and that may cause a eyestrain.
However, if after my using it & I pass on the scope to my daughter (or anyone else), then I guess - they would have to fine tune the adjustment again (to get the field of view focussed for their eyesight) including the Inter-pupilary adjustment - Yes/No

Also, a monocular can be upgraded to a bino later if you feel like it, by buying a separate bino head. Replacing the head takes about 30 seconds.
True, but I am trying to eliminate these costs at the outset itself.

- [edit] other drawbacks - In future, I plan to add a usb camera (which can easily fit into the 2nd binocular slot on the left/right eye). I cannot afford a "trinocular" scope today.
- the point that @logistopath mentioned - mono scopes - uses one eye (with the other closed & the headache thingy that I referred to earlier), although one can train your self to keep both eyes open.

2] Lighting LED (battery operated) vs Powered (Halogen, tungsten, etc)
I am trying to avoid "halogen, tungsten, flourescent, etc" i.e powered sources for the following reasons
- lacks portability
- heat generated + power consumed
- due to the above & if used for long time - This heat can dry out specimens and kill live creatures such as protozoans swimming in a drop of pond water or slowly damage permanent slides.
- getting replacement bulbs (how long does halogen last) as compared to LED which will last for years

From your product list - this is what I have shortlisted

ZENITH
BinocularResearchMicroscopeModel
BPM

Objectives: Parfocal, achromatic LB2S objectives 4X, 10X, 40X (spring loaded), 100X (spring loaded, oil immersion).
Eye-pieces: Highest quality paired 10X widefield.
Illumination: A built-inbase halogen light source fitted with 6V 20W Halogen bulbs with on/off switch and light intensity regulator. Complete with a moulded power cord. Provision for easy replacement of halogen bulb also provided with mirror for day light use.
Interchangeable inclined binocular head, rotatable through 360°. Quadruple revolving nose-piece with positive click stops, ball bearing mounted forsmooth accurate alignment.
Large stable base (145 x125 mm) fitted with mechanical stage ofsize 100 mm x 125 mm, having low drive co-axial knobs for X-Y movement in horizontal plan.
Abbe N.A. 1.25 Condenser focusable with rack and pinion through 25 mm continuously visible iris diaphragm with built-in swing out filters holder. A robust arm with focusing knobs on both
sides travelling on rack pinion ways. Nicely packed
in wooden case

What is your opinion on this scope. Which brand is it? The Halogen bulb worries me. Can it be replaced with an LED

Thanks a tonne
Terry

However, if after my using it & I pass on the scope to my daughter (or anyone else), then I guess - they would have to fine tune the adjustment again (to get the field of view focussed for their eyesight) - Yes/No

Yes. That is true.

There are quite a few models from the leading brands which come with LED illumination, but no idea about the cost or portability. However, rest assured, the halogen bulbs last for a long time when maintained properly
Microscopes are actually my bread and butter, in the sense that I peer into them day in and day out. From my personal experience, a binocular is THE most comfortable. If you are going for a monocular, do make sure that you train yourself to see through the scope with one eye, without closing the other eye. It is difficult to achieve this at first, but you will be able to do it.

ALso, Olympus certainly makes some of the best microscopes, although Leica and Carl-Zeiss are also good. If you can afford to spend about 45k to 50k, you will be able to get a very good binocular microscope from the market leaders. But whatever you buy, do make sure that there is an option to use a polarizer set. Watching stuff under a polarizing microscope is awesome.

@biozen Nice to see a person who deals with microscopes in real life. :)

Things are getting even better now with @logistopath 's observations..... but most of all, I like this
Microscopes are actually my bread and butter
Polarising microscope - hmmm. What is the nature of your work? Are you a gemnologist or in the field of geology or petrography or ??? Do you watch and analyse 3D stuff - gems, rocks, and such materials that are opaque or transparent.... "birefringence" properties.

I never thought of the above, however will keep it in mind for the future (the polarizer set) & if at all it can work with a biological microscope - here is someone who went the DIY way in constructing such a scope - Some experiments in modifying a biological microscope for polarization.

Much too heady stuff for me to grasp at this stage :eek:

You seem like a biology fan or simply inquisitive like me. I like to watch any subject under the sun if its on tv. :D ...

I agree that exploring on your own is a more thrilling experience. ;)

(On a sidenote)
Lol... I ain't a biology fan. Just curious about everything in life - starting from the "brain" [neurology]; to earth sciences; to philosophy; to cooking & creating my own dishes each time :rolleyes: ; to the realms of the cosmos.

We hardly ever bat an eyelid today when we spend (30-40k on a cellphone or tablet - thanks to all those blasted EMI schemes that is making fools out of us & these devices have hardly any shelf-life). I for one will now never spend more than 6-10k on a cellphone & use it till that damm thing lasts (which is hardly 3-4 years). So when it comes to spending on certain other things (especially for our children) like - microscopes; telescopes; musical instruments; Books .... I would like to do the best I can to encourage them to learn & discover more of the real world around us. In the process - I keep alive my own interests in forever wanting to learn & study & hopefully our children will pass on this "curiosity & quest" to their next gen.

Polarising microscope - hmmm. What is the nature of your work? Are you a gemnologist or in the field of geology or petrography or ??? Do you watch and analyse 3D stuff - gems, rocks, and such materials that are opaque or transparent.... "birefringence" properties.

:p Nowhere close.. I am an oral pathologist. I diagnose disease by looking into tissues under a microscope. For polarizing microscopy, I usually see hard structures like teeth and bone (finely ground so that they are very thin and can allow light to pass through).

:p Nowhere close.. I am an oral pathologist. I diagnose disease by looking into tissues under a microscope. For polarizing microscopy, I usually see hard structures like teeth and bone (finely ground so that they are very thin and can allow light to pass through).

:eek: - If you look at my teeth thru ur polarising mic - you wud get nightmares :nailbiting:

Methinks TE needs to have a database (with the co-operation of ALL it's members), wherein each one enters their specific area of expertise/skill & the other detail - each one's likes/interests [entered in the profile page itself]. So if anytime one need's a particular type of advice we could scan/search through this database and tag such folks accordingly. Wot say MODS ?

(I got this idea as this thread is throwing up some new vistas & there are "skilled pros" out here on TE)

Hello Terry,

Carrying on from yesterday...

Focussing knobs: Both Coarse & Fine-focus / Slip Clutch
All microscopes have knobs for coarse and fine focus. Separate or Coaxial. When peering into the microscope, trying to focus fine, you really wouldn't want your fingers searching for the knobs. So coaxial knobs are the way to go.

Mechanical Stage - very important
Again many kinds. They may have 2 separate knobs each for x,y motion. Or in some better microscopes, these are coaxial. So again, your fingers do not have to move around searching for the knobs. The scope in the microscopesind ebay item you linked, has a stage that's with separate knobs. You'll also see that the knobs are pointing upwards, away from the focus knobs. So all day long you'll be moving your hands/fingers from the focus knobs to the stage knobs, back and forth and microscopy won't be fun anymore. In better scopes, the stage knobs are coaxial and are pointing downwards just a little away from the coaxial focus knobs. These are pretty low down on the microscope body. So your hand/wrist rests on the table top, finger and thumb pointing upwards, and since all the 4 knobs (2 focus + 2 stage) are close to each other, with little flicks of your finger and thumb, you can focus and you can move the slide.

Iris Diaphragm ( no disk disphragm) & Abbe Condenser (optional)
You really need iris diaphragm (equivalent to aperture setting in a DSLR and almost the same function - depth of field and for better contrast) and Abbe condenser. No brainer really, almost all microscopes have these.

Illumination : LED with rechargeable batteries - which makes it portable [This is a very important element as I do not want Tungsten/Halogen Bulb or Flourescent lighting]
Low cost microscopes with LED lighting are basically a jugaad. Unless the LED and its driver is good, LEDs may give off a blue tinge that causes eye-strain and pseudo staining of the slide.

DIN specification (if possible - so that I can add any brand's lenses in future + other parts if necessary)
Usually you don't do this. If you actually are making an effort to buy lenses, why would you buy a brand different to your microscope. Its not as if you have you an Olympus microscope and some Zeiss objectives lying around.

Optional Requirements
Camera with USB/Firewire
Do you have a DSLR camera? You could buy an adapter that fits the DSLR to the scope. More on this later. We sell these.

Oil Immersion lens
Most already have these.

Am continuing in the next post.

Regards,
Mohit.
www.BioZen.co.in

@biozen Please give me more info on the adapters for DSLRs to take photomicrographs. I have a Canon 550D, and would like to be able to take pics using this. I usually work on an Olympus BX43 or Olympus CX41(not really sure about the model no. here. Can update tomorrow).

Thanks @biozen for all your feedback ..... could you also add your inputs to my 2 querries in post #09 i.e Monocular vs Binocular & Illumination - LED vs Halogen.

Lastly ....I went through your site, however I am confused with the Olympus scopes [no clear pricing] that you referenced vs the "Available pdf file of your scopes which is dated 2011" - details of one that I have quoted in my earlier post

I would really appreciate if you can suggest a microscope from your collection. I am flexible :happy:
==================================
my DSLR - I have a Nikon D5000 with 18-55 & 55-300 lens (however this for me at the moment is not a very important thing). I need to identify & lock onto a definite microscope (brand/model) ......... I am in no hurry

Wow & thanks @biozen [TE can spring "professional" surprises] :happy:.
I would certainly appreciate all the help that you can give.
Happy to help.

Strangely, I never came across your site :banghead:
We do not come up in Google searches for microscopes. Our focus is on some other products that we manufacture - Fermentors (for growing cells under controlled conditions), Gel Documentation systems (for electrophoresis gels, DNA stuff etc.).

Here are some doubts/queries that I still have
1] Monocular vs Binocular
- There are times, that I or my daughter will use the scope for long hours & I thought that a mono was always going to be a "headache" (not in the literal sense). Moreover, I use spectacles - so with diopteric adjustments on the paired eye-piece lens I could manage to get precise & accurate views..... and thus eliminate the problem listed below (with quality scopes)
Now if you wear glasses and want to wear them while using microscopes, you need eyepieces with a high 'eye-point'. Or else, your glasses will be scraping the eyepieces. As far as I know, only Olympus microscopes have this feature in India. But again you can simply remove your glasses and problem solved.
Diopter adjustment is available in all bino microscopes and relates to focusing each eyepiece separately. Even low cost ones have it. What I meant the yesterday about low-cost bino scopes not being centered is that you see two slightly different fields in the left-right eyepieces. Lets visualise the ray diagram of a microscopes: The light leaves the light source and the lens above it. Passes through the condenser, the slide, and then the objective. Its going vertically upwards till it enters the bino head. Now, the ray has to be split into two, one for the left eyepiece and other for the right eyepiece. This is done using prisms. The prism arrangement 'reflects' half the light leftwards and half rightwards. Then two more prisms (one each for the left and right split beams) turn the beam upwards not vertically but at an angle equal to what the inclination of the bino head is - usually 45 or 30 degrees. Now supposing the prism arrangement isn't perfect, the left beam is split 91 degrees horizontally and the right is 89 degrees. After the second set of prism, which worsens this error, each of your eye ends up seeing two slightly shifted fields. So if the nucleus of a cell is right at the centre of the left eye, it may be shifted a bit in the right eye. So, its off-centered. Your brains sees two different views from each eye, and so eyestrain.

However, if after my using it & I pass on the scope to my daughter (or anyone else), then I guess - they would have to fine tune the adjustment again (to get the field of view focussed for their eyesight) including the Inter-pupilary adjustment - Yes/No
Yes.

- [edit] In future, I plan to add a usb camera (which can easily fit into the 2nd binocular slot on the left/right eye).
Don't. They are a waste of money. If you have one, a DLSR fitted with a cam-to-microscope adapter makes much more sense. We can fabricate one for your DSLR.

2] Lighting LED (battery operated) vs Powered (Halogen, tungsten, etc)
I am trying to avoid "halogen, tungsten, flourescent, etc" i.e powered sources for the following reasons
- lacks portability
- heat generated + power consumed
- due to the above & if used for long time - This heat can dry out specimens and kill live creatures such as protozoans swimming in a drop of pond water or slowly damage permanent slides.
- getting replacement bulbs (how long does halogen last) as compared to LED which will last for years
The heat of halogen is overrated. Its a bit away from the specimen, so I'm not too sure if it affects the slide the way most people think it might. YMMV. Also, I regularly interact with pathologists who work for hours on microscopes. Most still prefer halogen. Probably because they are 'used to' its light. Also, I feel the field is more uniformly illuminated in halogens. Again, YMMV. Halogens last a long time if the electronics are designed well. I've rarely had to replace halogens bulbs before 4000-5000 hours of operation in the Olympus microscopes we sell. That's like 2-3 years of microscope use in a normal clinical pathology. And they are pretty cheap about Rs. 120 - 190 depending on the brand. Regarding the portability part, fully with you about LED being better than halogen bulbs.

From your product list - this is what I have shortlisted
82. ZENITH BinocularResearchMicroscopeModel
I'm not going to suggest this microscope. As far as Made in India microscopes, there are 2 brands that I recommend. Labomed and Olympus.

Labomed is a microscope manufacturer based in Ambala, Haryana. They make good microscopes that are VFM. Most of their stuff is exported to Europe and US. They also OEM for Leica for some models in Leica's lineup.
The microscope I suggest from their catalog is CxL http://www.laboeurope.com/en/products/compound/cxl.htm
The one with LED illumination is about Rs. 27K. I'm not sure though about the current prices. Are you in Mumbai? You should get this microscope in the Princess Street area.

Olympus India is a division of Olympus Japan. They have a state-of-the-art factory outside Delhi in Noida. We deal in their microscopes. Three models I'll suggest from their lineup - model CH20i, model MAGNUS-Theia and model CX21i.
Model CH20i is or rather was Olympus' flagship binocular microscope in India for the past so many years. Superb build, great optics. Sells in thousands. About Rs. 39K.
Model MAGNUS-Theia is a new microscope launched by Olympus. Plan optics, and some pretty advanced features. About Rs. 42K.
Model CX21i is probably the best microscope this side of Rs. 1Lac. Olympus' flagship clinical microscope worldwide. Excellent microscope, period. Plan optics, larger FOV, reliable mechanics, years and years of use, looks great. Rs. 51K.

Tomorrow I'll send you literature for these, as I'm not in office now. You cannot go wrong with an Olympus. Even if its outta budget, have a dekko out of interest.

Enough for now. Let me know if you have any more queries.

HTH,
Mohit.
www.BioZen.co.in

WOW..... and thanks @biozen ..........a tonne .... I will need to digest all of this (rest assured I am hoping that u can HELP ME WITH THE BEST SOLNS.... for my venture in exploring the micro/macro world with my daughter).

I really appreciate your sincerity & honesty in answering all my querries.

Please gimme time until 2morro.

Terry
(I am from Mumbai - Andheri-East/Takshila Colony)

WOW ............ TE
and for the folks who reside here

A couple of clarifications/opinions:

As far as I know, only Olympus microscopes have this feature in India. But again you can simply remove your glasses and problem solved.
Not really. I have seen high eyepoint eyepieces in microscopes from Carl Zeiss and Leica as well.

The heat of halogen is overrated. Its a bit away from the specimen, so I'm not too sure if it affects the slide the way most people think it might. YMMV. Also, I regularly interact with pathologists who work for hours on microscopes. Most still prefer halogen.
Agree completely. Halogens provide a more uniform illumination, and are slightly warm (which is how I prefer). LED illuminations (from whatever little experience I had at stalls in conferences) were a little too cool and more bluish.. In my little experience, I haven't needed a replacement for halogen bulbs after even 5 years. I tend to use microscopes for only around 2 to 3 hours in a day though.

Labomed is a microscope manufacturer based in Ambala, Haryana. They make good microscopes that are VFM. Most of their stuff is exported to Europe and US. They also OEM for Leica for some models in Leica's lineup.
Agreed again. Leica, I believe is now managing Labomed too (something of that sort was mentioned by one of the technicians). Labomeds are quite decent and cheap. (We use labomed monoculars for undergraduate students). The biggest problem with the cheaper devices is that the field of vision is very small compared to the better models. Also, planovision is lacking. The edges of the field tend to be out of focus most often.

Back