Suggest 40-46" HDTV for Movies+Gaming

@adder @Gannu
Do you guys realise how lucky you'll are?
I would have kissed you guys the moment i read what you'll have replied. :p
Thanks a lot- owe you'll and all those who helped a treat. :bigok:

Last edited by a moderator:
@BIKeINSTEIN you forgot me :mad: :p

The way ths motion plus / smooth motion / mhz are advertised its kind of PMPO for sound systems. I also have not used 100 hz feature even on sports channels, only ghosting I have seen is slight notice of moving cricket ball while some one hits boundary or a fast bowler bowls, football and tennis are great to view.

If you / your family member watch TV then dont forget to upgrade your DTH / Cable box to HD, the HDMI input upscaling of STB is better than TV itself you will feel much better clarity.

D550 is a very good model no problems whatsoever going for it.

Dont forget to put it your specific models caliberation settings from AVSforums so that you will love the quality, only minor tickering will be required later on.

BIKeINSTEIN you forgot me :mad: :p

The way ths motion plus / smooth motion / mhz are advertised its kind of PMPO for sound systems. I also have not used 100 hz feature even on sports channels, only ghosting I have seen is slight notice of moving cricket ball while some one hits boundary or a fast bowler bowls, football and tennis are great to view.

If you / your family member watch TV then dont forget to upgrade your DTH / Cable box to HD, the HDMI input upscaling of STB is better than TV itself you will feel much better clarity.

D550 is a very good model no problems whatsoever going for it.

Dont forget to put it your specific models caliberation settings from AVSforums so that you will love the quality, only minor tickering will be required later on.
Now you also qualify for the kissy from me... if you want i.e.:kiss:
and treat for you doc, anytime- occasion not necessary. :)

And i am mostly getting TataSKY HD. :) (or anything else that's good)

So did you buy it yet? :)

Keep us posted! And yeah the panel as well. Keep your fingers crossed for the SQ model if you are going for a D550. Good luck dada!

So did you buy it yet? :)
Keep us posted! And yeah the panel as well. Keep your fingers crossed for the SQ model if you are going for a D550. Good luck dada!
Have already booked it and had to pay in full. :S Should arrive tomorrow hopefully, fingers crossed.:)

@BIKeINSTEIN seems so engrossed in TV viewing that he forgot that TE exists. :p

Hope he is not watching saas - bahu saga on TV.

Sorry for the delay. The Panasonic Virera L42U30D was very good for sure. But i was always inclined towards getting a 46 (or bigger :gap:)
Finally got the LA46D550.
aTWqN.jpg

Audio quality is .... hmmm... not sure. Have only watched some movies via USB HDD. Maybe it is not so good.
Can't recollect how the others sounded but have heard the Sony Bravia has better sound.
Also not very fond of the whites. Can't recollect well but they looked good on the Panny. Then again, i have yellow walls and/or my eyes maybe going worse.
Also i cannot see a 'Game mode' in the menu like the Sony/LG list in their specs. :p
Should i have got the Sony 46CX520 instead? I still can if you'll say so. :p

Congrats on the purchase (Finally !)
Cant say on the Sony factor, but would def like to know

1) The damages.
2) Does the f.w support memory playback? If yes, then which one. (A screen purchased by a family member very recently didnt, hence asking)

congrats:)
Glad you went with a bigger screen after some 3months of use you would want a 55". :p
As far as the whites looking good or more like brighter ,its because you are comparing a smaller 42" screen vs a larger 46" screen.

@BIKeINSTEIN if you want better audio output for usb HDD try this.go in sound.in advanced tab select normal.this will auto boost weak audio signals in your movies. :p

Finally! Many congrats! :)

May I ask what panel it is? What does the version code read?

Bookmark this link and use the calibration settings as specified by the user corresponding to the panel type - Official Samsung LNxxD550 owners thread - AVS Forum

he has quoted panels SQ03 :clap:
@Spacescreamer afaik samsung has builtin memory play feature in all models even my 2 years old LA40C630 has it, if you move away from a video it will ask you to resume from same place or beginning when you go back to that video.

^ medpal
Yea that was the case till i saw the new panel a relative of mine purchased very recently.
He purchased the same series panel as bikey has and i tested the new f/w. They have added a lot of bling, made the pointer a shiny blue orb, and removed 2 features:

1) The memory playback
2) Ability to set the background wallpaper

The ffwd function was laggy as well. So wasnt something which i appreciated. Maybe they sacrificed a lot of on board memory with their new Blue themed firmware.
I did mentioned about this in a thread of mine which was opened to ask for suggestions abt 2 months back. (Here)

(I purchased my 32" samsung screen nearabout the time you purchased your 40 inch panel and it had those two features.)

Wow, congratulations Bikey!
Saw this thread too late to give any advise, but it was really nice to see inputs from other older members as well :)

Sorry for the delay. The Panasonic Virera L42U30D was very good for sure. But i was always inclined towards getting a 46 (or bigger :gap:)
Finally got the LA46D550.
Audio quality is .... hmmm... not sure. Have only watched some movies via USB HDD. Maybe it is not so good.
Can't recollect how the others sounded but have heard the Sony Bravia has better sound.
Also not very fond of the whites. Can't recollect well but they looked good on the Panny. Then again, i have yellow walls and/or my eyes maybe going worse.
Also i cannot see a 'Game mode' in the menu like the Sony/LG list in their specs. :p
:p

Congrats for the purchase. For the color settings, don't use predefined color presets, make customized settings yourself for the various HDMI ports based on your usage then edit the color settings using ATI/nVidia software.
Did Samsung provide Natural Color Pro with the LCD ? If yes use it, it's brilliant.

Happened to visit the Samsung Gallery at R-city, Ghatkopar and they had the 46D550 on display. This TV is available for Rs.58,500/- wherever available, till stocks last. (I didn't know earlier else might have got it from there maybe)
Seems like it 's the lowest anyone can offer- somewhat similar to how Sony Bravia prices are, same no matter where you check.
(So looks like the Kohinoor guy didn't give me any special discount as such :p, at least he didn't charge me more too)

Anyone tried that MTNL IPTV thing yet? (thinking of using that till the monsoon passes and then getting TataSky HD
BIKeINSTEIN if you want better audio output for usb HDD try this.go in sound.in advanced tab select normal.this will auto boost weak audio signals in your movies. :p
I am yet to get TataSky HD and haven't finished setting up my HTPC too. So only playing movies via portable 500GB WD passport Essential.
Upon your suggestion, i explored the menu options when i got some time.
Used Standard mode, enabled TruSurroundHD, Kept something called TruDialogue or something off.
Went into Advanced setting > Auto Volume Leveller > Off(defualt)/Normal/Night.
Setting it to 'Normal' has improved things significantly.
Earlier, i had to take volume up to 25-35 or more to make dialogues audible and then it would get too loud during action/blasts/songs etc
Now i can keep volume anywhere from 10-16 usually and 19-22 at times and dialogues are clear while the action/music/song/blast scene also don;'t seem too loud when they happen. :)

Back