CPU/Mobo Stuck with broken processor, HELP.

muthuvel

Disciple
[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Guys,[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Mobo : Biostat TA790GX 128M AM2+[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Proc : AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]The above mentioned proc accidentally got broken. I live in chennai.[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I went to Ritchie street to buy another compatible proc, found out[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]the procs are not available in stores since they were outdated.[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Even second-hand proc is hard to get. One shop told they have x240 [/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]and the price was 3K. Also they told me my mobo BIOS needs an update for which they are charging another 900(this is ridiculous). [/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Where can I find the adoptable proc in chennai?( new or second-hand no problem)[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Otherwise what models of new proc available in the current market can go[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]with my mobo? [/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Your responses are really appreciated.[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Thanks.[/font]

Oh if its bent its no big deal. Take it to a jeweller's shop and ask them to help straightening it. Even if the pins accidentally break, they can help re-attach it.

wtf 900 bucks for bios flash ...robbers
<

I have found phenom x4 9650+ for 6.6 k

and Athlon X2 255 for 3.3k

due to budget constraint i like to go for 255

but just want to make sure this one goes with my mobo model.

Also I have inquired about Athlon X2 260, they told me it is incompatible with my mobo.

I thought 260 can go with my mobo. Please shed some light on this confusion.

+1 to crazzy_eddy`s suggestion:

Once had a similar situation, but on the mobo...tweezers were just too fat..hence relied on a normal pin and a magnifying glass
<

Voila the thing was wrking fine
<

No point getting a new processor when all you have are a few bent pins.

People with broken pins have had it fixed and running fine.

Buying a new proc thats lower end compared to your current 550BE is not worth it.

The X2 260 should work. Its just that your BIOS hasn't been updated with the newer model code, so it may not display the model code correctly. As long as its AM2 compatible and within the TDP limit, any proc should run fine.

Any AM2+/AM3 processor will work.

As for BIOS updation thats only needed to show latest information since the processor is compatible and some minor fixes that it has to incorporate. Other than that the processor will work just fine.

When I brought X2550BE it worked just fine without BIOS update, the only issue was the processor name was not being displayed correctly. A minor BIOS update only fixes the Cupid nothing else

Go with #Crazy_Eddy suggestion, just give it a try before buying a new processor.

Use a credit card to straighten out the pins, have done it a couple of times with no issues.

BTW Phenom I which you have mentioned is not very good.

I have found phenom x4 9650+ for 6.6 k

and Athlon X2 255 for 3.3k

due to budget constraint i like to go for 255

but just want to make sure this one goes with my mobo model.

Also I have inquired about Athlon X2 260, they told me it is incompatible with my mobo.

I thought 260 can go with my mobo. Please shed some light on this confusion.

First of all, steer clear of the first generation Phenom X4 you are getting or are being offered. Like most members on this thread, i too will advise you to straighten your CPU pins yourself. That bending has happened with me a couple of times and both times i straightened them with a fine screwdriver. And you don't have to get them absolutely dead straight either. Just get them aligned in a manner which helps the CPU sit easily (sans any effort) in the slot.

The X2 260 is an AM3 socket CPU and is backward compatible with motherboards having an AM2+ socket, like yours for example. You could also go for a second generation Phenom II X4 as your mobo is capable of handling 140W TDP proccys.

Back