Budget 90k+ Stretch the budget a bit and go for 4070 or get a used 3080 ?

webman19

Recruit
Budget : 1.2 lakh (Max) , already have the monitor and other peripherals.
Use Case : 1440p High Gaming , Moderate Machine learning and AI
Future Upgrades Planned : 5070ti after 1/2 years, and CPU Upgrade to 7800x3d Tier if I'm bottlenecking the upgraded GPU.
Here is my is the config I have in mind : PCPriceTracker
The Dilemma I'm in is should I get a used 3080 for around 30k (1 year warranty) or stretch my budget by 30k and get a 4070 super ? The 50 series is mostly a year away , and the on-paper generational gains seem impressive.
Would like the community's take on this.
Some challenges I face:
- Sourcing a trust worthy used GPU in warranty is a lot of headache in Bangalore. Buying a new GPU is seamless and 3 years warranty is an icing on the cake.
- The 3080 on an average consumes around 150 More Watts for 10 - 15% lower performance. Hopefully that doesn't blow up my electricity bills.
None of my other configuration parts will change irrespective of whether I get the 3080 or the 4070 Super. I'll be saving around 30k if I go for a used 3080.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-31 190941.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-31 190941.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Future Upgrades Planned : 5070ti after 1/2 years, and CPU Upgrade to 7800x3d Tier if I'm bottlenecking the upgraded GPU.
The Dilemma I'm in is should I get a used 3080 for around 30k (1 year warranty) or stretch my budget by 30k and get a 4070 super ? The 50 series is mostly a year away , and the on-paper generational gains seem impressive.
Some challenges I face:
- Sourcing a trust worthy used GPU in warranty is a lot of headache in Bangalore. Buying a new GPU is seamless and 3 years warranty is an icing on the cake.
- The 3080 on an average consumes around 150 More Watts for 10 - 15% lower performance. Hopefully that doesn't blow up my electricity bills.
None of my other configuration parts will change irrespective of whether I get the 3080 or the 4070 Super. I'll be saving around 30k if I go for a used 3080.

Thanks.
Let me help you here, If I can. I have a 3080 + 7800X3D.

1. For 1440p gaming, a 3080 will serve you absolutely well. The 10G frame buffer at that resolution should be just about enough until you upgrade to the 5000 series
  2. Yes, the 3080 is extremely power-hungry, relative to the 4070 S. It won't add anything significant to your electricity bills. I run mine at full PL which pushes it to 370W+ in some games. My electricity bills hardly saw any shift
  3. You lose some good-to-haves like Frame Gen with the 3080, but you still get DLSS 3.5 + Ray Reconstruction which are more than enough for this class of GPU
  4. If the 10G frame buffer bothers you, consider getting a 3080Ti for 35-37K which gets you 12G. You won't see much of a performance uplift, though (10%, at the most)
  5. If you're going to upgrade to a 5000 series card within a year anyway, no point spending so much on a 4070. Save the 30k, and put it towards the upgrade later
  6. Get a better airflow case, like the Lancool 216
  7. Check the FB Marketplace. Some good deals on 3080s there. I bought mine from there (w/ 2 years of warranty remaining).

Yes, the 3080 is extremely power-hungry, relative to the 4070 S. It won't add anything significant to your electricity bills. I run mine at full PL which pushes it to 370W+ in some games. My electricity bills hardly saw any shift
Just FYI for op - i run mine at 225w most of the time and lose only about 10% performance vs stock through undervolting, performance that i don't need for many games.
And at 275w i can get stock performance for intensive games.

Obviously, we can increase Power limit and clocks as much as cooling/limits allows, but its inefficient and we don't gain that much. Last 10-20% performance takes much more power.

You lose some good-to-haves like Frame Gen with the 3080,
FSR mod allows using frame gen with 3080, and in future FSR3 i think will decouple Upscaling and FG, so we will be able to use DLSS + FSR framegen.
I have used mod with couple of games now, there are tradeoffs but it works well.

Since you are going to upgrade anyway, i will also save money and go for 3080 used if you can get a good card. You can put that money and buy 7800x3d which should work well with future gpu too.

Just FYI for op - i run mine at 225w most of the time and lose only about 10% performance vs stock through undervolting, performance that i don't need for many games.
And at 275w i can get stock performance for intensive games.

Obviously, we can increase Power limit and clocks as much as cooling/limits allows, but its inefficient and we don't gain that much. Last 10-20% performance takes much more power.

FSR mod allows using frame gen with 3080, and in future FSR3 i think will decouple Upscaling and FG, so we will be able to use DLSS + FSR framegen.
I have used mod with couple of games now, there are tradeoffs but it works well.

Since you are going to upgrade anyway, i will also save money and go for 3080 used if you can get a good card. You can put that money and buy 7800x3d which should work well with future gpu too.
Thanks for the insights. I thought of using that saved money for the 7800x3d , but most people online recommend an AIO liquid cooler to go along with it. this will be my first pc , so I'd like it to be simple to maintain. I've heard liquid coolers can be very troublesome at times.

Let me help you here, If I can. I have a 3080 + 7800X3D.

1. For 1440p gaming, a 3080 will serve you absolutely well. The 10G frame buffer at that resolution should be just about enough until you upgrade to the 5000 series
  2. Yes, the 3080 is extremely power-hungry, relative to the 4070 S. It won't add anything significant to your electricity bills. I run mine at full PL which pushes it to 370W+ in some games. My electricity bills hardly saw any shift
  3. You lose some good-to-haves like Frame Gen with the 3080, but you still get DLSS 3.5 + Ray Reconstruction which are more than enough for this class of GPU
  4. If the 10G frame buffer bothers you, consider getting a 3080Ti for 35-37K which gets you 12G. You won't see much of a performance uplift, though (10%, at the most)
  5. If you're going to upgrade to a 5000 series card within a year anyway, no point spending so much on a 4070. Save the 30k, and put it towards the upgrade later
  6. Get a better airflow case, like the Lancool 216
  7. Check the FB Marketplace. Some good deals on 3080s there. I bought mine from there (w/ 2 years of warranty remaining).
thanks for the recs.
1. Do you use a liquid cooler with your 7800x3d ? if not what's your cooling setup. I thought of using that saved money for the 7800x3d , but most people online recommend an AIO liquid cooler , which i don't want to maintain.
2. Is ICE-511MT a bad case it has a lot of fans ? the Lancool 216 is almost 2x the price.

Last edited:
Some challenges I face:

Thanks.
in india i am shameless pickup a new GPU from zotac create a dedicated email id and register that gpu through that id get 3+2 years of warranty. and if you want to flip the gpu you can also let go that email id so you dont loose value in the gpu and are safe for 5 years

thanks for the recs.
1. Do you use a liquid cooler with your 7800x3d ? if not what's your cooling setup. I thought of using that saved money for the 7800x3d , but most people online recommend an AIO liquid cooler , which i don't want to maintain.
2. Is ICE-511MT a bad case it has a lot of fans ? the Lancool 216 is almost 2x the price.
An AIO isn't needed for the 7800X3D. They do get a bit toasty because of the 3D Cache, but that's because of the way they're designed. I use a Noctua D15s with it. You can pair it with a Deepcool AG/AK620 and call it a day.

There's a lot more to a good airflow case than a bunch of cheap included fans. It'll get the job done, but since you're going to be building a high-spec system over time, may as well get a good case for it. The 216 is one of the best airflow cases you can get, built like a tank, and has amazing cable management.

Thanks for the insights. I thought of using that saved money for the 7800x3d , but most people online recommend an AIO liquid cooler to go along with it. this will be my first pc , so I'd like it to be simple to maintain. I've heard liquid coolers can be very troublesome at times.
Its nonsense really, i am using AG620 ( costs in 4000s) and even that is probably overkill. It does get hot, but its by design due to how its built and i think better coolers wont do much as issue is with getting heat out to IHS. It uses very little power ( and so very little heat for cooler to dissipate) and all of my issues that i had with 3300x are gone.

I use temp limit at 79C + undervolt and get slightly faster than stock performance.

An AIO isn't needed for the 7800X3D. They do get a bit toasty because of the 3D Cache, but that's because of the way they're designed. I use a Noctua D15s with it. You can pair it with a Deepcool AG/AK620 and call it a day.

There's a lot more to a good airflow case than a bunch of cheap included fans. It'll get the job done, but since you're going to be building a high-spec system over time, may as well get a good case for it. The 216 is one of the best airflow cases you can get, built like a tank, and has amazing cable management.

Its nonsense really, i am using AG620 ( costs in 4000s) and even that is probably overkill. It does get hot, but its by design due to how its built and i think better coolers wont do much as issue is with getting heat out to IHS. It uses very little power ( and so very little heat for cooler to dissipate) and all of my issues that i had with 3300x are gone.

I use temp limit at 79C + undervolt and get slightly faster than stock performance.
Duly Noted. Thanks
@Tracer_Bullet and @PunkX 75

Also you can find 3080 12gig version also for near around similar price in used market of 30-32k....but must get it asap as prices have started to move higher slowly due to crypto boom coming again.

Back