Strange PC issue. Monitor flickers when opposite side electric switches are touched.

Yeah will give this a try.
Hope you are getting my logic , just trying to rule out the possible sources , atleast the chassis can't be the place for sure as its acting as kind of a faraday cage , so all electronics is indirectly shielded by the metallic chasis . So do update the outcome of the vga cable , then we can move on to plan b ...

I had a similar issue with a cheaper DisplayPort adapter which did not have a properly shielded cable. Switching to another more expensive one resolved the issue.

It is most likely due to electrical interference.

I had a similar issue with a cheaper DisplayPort adapter which did not have a properly shielded cable. Switching to another more expensive one resolved the issue.

It is most likely due to electrical interference.
Can you suggest a good HDMI cable to get from Amazon?

This is most likely due to interference from unshielded HDMI cable. I had this issue with a no name HDMI cable connected to TV.

I upgraded to AmazonBasics HDMI cable , and no more issues since then.
This is the cable that i use. HDMI cable

This is most likely due to interference from unshielded HDMI cable. I had this issue with a no name HDMI cable connected to TV.

I upgraded to AmazonBasics HDMI cable , and no more issues since then.
This is the cable that i use. HDMI cable
Thanks Joy.
Tried other cables like mentioned above, flicker won't fix.
Cable you suggested is non-deliverable to my location. Suggestion for any other similar product?

Will this do same work?
BlueRigger High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet - Supports 3D, 4K 60Hz, Audio Return - Latest Version (6.6 Feet) https://amzn.eu/d/6jgj9lo

Last edited:
Ultimately a shielded cable is just trying to mitigate a symptom. You can also look to eliminating the source of noise.

These are typically inductive loads on the same circuit like motors in fans, triacs / dimmers, and ballast chokes on fluorescent tubes. Renewing might be an option if something is known to be old or local-made.

More likely it could be an inductive switching transient in the power line caused by sudden switching off of the motor (if the monitor switches off even if HDMI is not connected). In this case put the computer on a separate circuit or introduce a stabiliser in between.

Can You Try Connecting Your display with a vga cable

+1. VGA signals are analog (and technically more susceptible to RF interference) while HDMI being digital should not be so susceptible. So trying out VGA might be a good troubleshooting step to understand if the issue is with the signal line acting as a receiving antenna, or with spikes in the power line.

Unfortunately electrical interference is a bit of a black magic area which would be very specific to the particular situation and it's also possible the issue is not resolved with any of the above.

Last edited:
Yes, I've faced similar situation and the only fix is changing the HDMI cable to some good quality branded cable. @salian is 100% correct.:)
It happened with me earlier my display flickered while turning ON and OFF the adjacent switches specially the fan. After troubleshooting a lot it was fixed only by swapping to some good shielded and branded HDMI Cable.
If one cable HDMI doesn't fix this problem try changing a couple more and it 'll be done.
Make sure there isn't any other interference or noise.
Have a nice day!

OP thanks for making this thread, I have been facing this issue on my TV for more than two years.
My house's doorbell is on the opposite side of the wall and whenever someone rang it my TV would flicker.
Been facing this problem since I moved in to this house, I thought there was some problem with electric wiring.
I even called an electrician last year and he said maybe electric wires inside the wall are getting mixed up so we would have to rip up the wall and change its internal wiring, thankfully I didn't go ahead with it.
Now using my monitor's HDMI cable and problem is solved.
This same TV's backlight died this year and I had to spend Rs8k to get it replaced.
Is it possible that Electromagnetic interference damaged backlight of my TV?

OP thanks for making this thread, I have been facing this issue on my TV for more than two years.
My house's doorbell is on the opposite side of the wall and whenever someone rang it my TV would flicker.
Been facing this problem since I moved in to this house, I thought there was some problem with electric wiring.
I even called an electrician last year and he said maybe electric wires inside the wall are getting mixed up so we would have to rip up the wall and change its internal wiring, thankfully I didn't go ahead with it.
Now using my monitor's HDMI cable and problem is solved.
This same TV's backlight died this year and I had to spend Rs8k to get it replaced.

It's highly unlikely that the interference caused the failure of the backlit. It has to be some other reason.

No. Unlikely that EMI (electromagnetic interference) damages a device, it's more likely that EMI interferes in operation.

In principle, the best way to stop interference is to stop the noise at the source, i.e. repair or upgrade the anti-social device on the switching of which a pulse of EMI is sent through your house.

To use an analogy, changing HDMI cables is like getting earplugs when your own kid is being noisy.

The receiving antenna (unshielded HDMI cable in this case) is just the messenger. Perhaps at this time the TV receiving digital signals is the most sensitive equipment in your house. And perhaps you can hear the crackle on an old-school AM radio.

But every year the number of devices in our homes goes up, and more devices get wireless features. Eventually you will come across some other weird unexplainable issue, maybe the wifi network drops, or possibly the pacemaker-wearing neighbour drops when your doorbell rings.

A good article: https://www.popularmechanics.com/te...w-to-fight-rf-interference-with-your-gadgets/

Using a handheld AM Radio to detect Electromagnetic Interference (Youtube):

Of course sometimes the source is not in your control (Link: https://www.news18.com/news/opinion...out-electromagnetic-interference-5043085.html) so shielding is also important.

Back