Step Ladder for Home Buying Advice

nitin_g3

Adept
I'm looking to buy a step ladder for home usage. So far we've been managing without one by stacking 2 tables together.
But I think a ladder would save time and reduce hassle of getting tables and arranging them, also a step ladder will be safer IMO.

I searched on Amazon and Bathla and Parasnath are the only top sellers with good reviews.
Parasnath is cheaper than Bathla.
I'll need a 7 step ladder which should have around 5 feet of height of final step from the ground, this height will allow me to reach up-to the ceiling of my house.

I've shortlisted these 2:

Parasnath Railing Maple 7 Step Ladder​

Bathla Advance 7-Step Foldable Aluminium Ladder​

Looking for advice on
whether these are good choices?
Will I be able to get same or better quality ones if I try to buy locally?
How long these usually last ?
Are they safe for a person with 90KG weight?
Will iron ladders be stronger than aluminum ones?

TIA.

Last edited:
The max weight for bathla is 95kg so you will be fine. But pay attention if you are lifting extra weight to put up or bring down.

Since you want 7 step consider the plantex recommended in the previous comment. I did not go with plantex because its stainless steel and can rust.

Instead, I opted for an aluminium design but it's not 7 step

The best thing about this design is how deep the steps are. Just under 8 inches deep. You can work on this ladder. The bathla and other stepladders require you to wear some boots as the steps are very narrow under 4 inches and you literally have to balance on them instead of them supporting you. Your foot pivots around the arch if you understand what I mean or you can go up with feet sideways which isn't comfortable. okay for short periods but if you need to be up there for a half hour then it's uncomfortable.

The ladder I have wobbles a little at the top or step below so advisable to have someone hold it. I don't need to go that high and otherwise find it very comfortable to use alone.

The Bathlaa are well built, aluminium and light. The only problem is those narrow steps and the need to balance.

Proper work ladders have a load bearing of 150kg and are fibre glass so safe for electrical work but the steps are again quite narrow. You need work boots for them which isn't what you want for a home ladder that you expect to climb with just slippers or even barefoot.

Attachments

• Bathla Advance 5 step label.jpg
    Bathla Advance 5 step label.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Bathla Advance 5 Safety Instructions.jpg
    Bathla Advance 5 Safety Instructions.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Since you want 7 step consider the plantex recommended in the previous comment. I did not go with plantex because its stainless steel and can rust.

Instead, I opted for an aluminium design but it's not 7 step

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B083SPW378/
Just found that Plantex ladders also have good reviews, for some even better than the ones I've shortlisted. The one you suggested is great and will serve all purpose and eliminate the fear at higher steps, thanks to much wider steps.
While checking your link I found that there is a 6-step variant too but in steel/iron and not aluminum.

I wonder if I get this one, how long will it last if I be careful enough and try to not get water near it.

When you get a ladder, examine every square inch of it in good light. If you see a single kink then it has to be returned as it is not safe.

I also checked that the screws were tight. I was lucky mine arrived without any issues.
I have the 5 step version for the past 4 years and can confirm its pretty solidly built -
The steps on these are an inch deeper than the bathla. An improvement for sure.

All these ladders are available at any hardware shop. Price will be 2-4 times cheaper offline. I bought 6-7 step ladder for Rs. 1100 few years ago. I expect them to cost around 2k now.

These are not called cidi (ladder). These are called Ghoda (as in horse) locally. Go to any hardware shop and ask them for Ghoda.

While checking your link I found that there is a 6-step variant too but in steel/iron and not aluminum.

The steps are 6.6 inches on this. The one i have is an inch deeper. Your choice.
I wonder if I get this one, how long will it last if I be careful enough and try to not get water near it.
If it's steel you have to keep it indoors and it will be heavier than aluminium.

You will have to inspect it from time to time for rust. With aluminium, this isn't necessary.
All these ladders are available at any hardware shop. Price will be 2-4 times cheaper offline. I bought 6-7 step ladder for Rs. 1100 few years ago. I expect them to cost around 2k now.

These are not called cidi (ladder). These are called Ghoda (as in horse) locally. Go to any hardware shop and ask them for Ghoda.
Probably the best option as you get to try it before you buy.

I've seen safety regs that say you are not allowed to go beyond the 4th step.

In other words, you never step on the penultimate step let alone the top one with this design.

This way you have at least waist-level support if you need it.

If you expect to use that hardware tray at the top 4th step is as high as you can go. This means you are only 98cm off the ground. Is that high enough?

If you go higher than you need an assistant.

Last edited:
If you go higher than you need an assistant.
That's fine, I'll have someone support the ladder for high level jobs :tongueout:

Just came back from a local hardware shop. He had 2 options for 7 step aluminum ladders, for the first and best one he quoted 6K (with 10 years replacement warranty), for the second inferior one (5 Year repair warranty) he quoted 4.2k

This is the one he asked 6k for:
20220916_134421.jpg

That's almost same as online prices.

Just came back from a local hardware shop. He had 2 options for 7 step aluminum ladders, for the first and best one he quoted 6K (with 10 years replacement warranty), for the second inferior one (5 Year repair warranty) he quoted 4.2k
There is no such thing as repair for these ladders. Maybe these guys can fix it but safety regs are always to replace with new. I'd go with replacing over repair if it's genuine. Ask for the terms. Thee people have ways to weasel out of such agreements.
View attachment 145999
4 inch deep steps, its no better than a bathla and bathla is better known :meh:

Last edited:
That's fine, I'll have someone support the ladder for high level jobs :tongueout:

View attachment 145999

That's almost same as online prices.
I have almost the same one as the 6k model by the looks of it I'd say local is mush better then whats being sold online. I bought mine back in 2010 for about 3k it's a 6 step.

Back