Static Vs Dynamic ip addresses

jumbo5

Adept
Does static or dynamic ip address affect your downloading speed?

I was working on static for 2 yrs on 96kbps plan,now they gave me dynamic for (unlimited)plan i dont c any speed diff.
youtele told me that from january onwards they give dyanamic ids only wherein u have to login username n pw for accesing.But those who have taken the plan in 2007 theirs will remain static until unlessthey change the plan.
I find that those working with static ip addresses r much more comfortable in speeds than those with dynamic ips.

Is it true technically?
Why do these service providers give dynamic ips to UNLIMITED plan users?
Is there a wastage of bandwidth with static ips?

^aisa kuch nahin hota boss(Your above statements are entirely incorrect). Static/Dynamic IP allocation has nothing to do with your DL/UL speed.

sahilm said:
^aisa kuch nahin hota boss(Your above statements are entirely incorrect). Static/Dynamic IP allocation has nothing to do with your DL/UL speed.

k, then y have they made dynamic ips compulsory even for UNLIMITED plan users?

jumbo5 said:
k, then y have they made dynamic ips compulsory even for UNLIMITED plan users?

Providing static IPs costs money. You can get a static IP from all major providers(BSNL, Airtel etc.), you just have to pay up.

Does naming you hulk makes you more powerful ? IP's are just addresses . If your isp wants they can make ur speeds crawl even on static ip's, unless u have SLA that comes with corporate lines ( $$$$$ ).

the reason they might taken off static IPs for unlimited connections maybe because they fear users will start servers for various things and clog things up.

Hell no, static/dynamic doesn't affect the speed..

But if your IP gets banned from some sites then you have no choice but to use a proxy... unless you are in dynamic world..which is much better.

random2 said:
the reason they might taken off static IPs for unlimited connections maybe because they fear users will start servers for various things and clog things up.

well i do that on a dynamic ip though its for light usage and I am sure a lot of ppl use it too

@jumbo5
the difference between static and dynamic ip is that if you have a static IP then every time you connect to the internet you will have the same external IP and if you have a dynamic IP then the external IP will be mostly different each time you connect.

ISPs use dynamic IPs to save the number of IPs they need to get for their users. For example I am using airtel with dynamic IPs. if i disconnect from internet then the IP that was assigned to me will be free for anyone to get so the ISP can assign the same IP to another user and when I connect again I will just get another available IP. with static IP your IP stays your IP and is not available to others
as far as I know it does not affect speed(could be wrong)

Statics IP are needed by Companies and bigger agencies.. No such important use in Home or small business... That never affects d/l speed...

with static ip, you can host your own server/website/ftp etc... hence its a privilege and is charged sometimes.

Its very simple..

When you are giving static IP's, you have 50 customers, you pay for 50 ip's..

When you have dynamic ip, you have 50 ip's, max 40 are online at the same time, so you buy 40 and save money!!!

Yes its a part of Cost and Financial Management..hehe..

booo said:
with static ip, you can host your own server/website/ftp etc... hence its a privilege and is charged sometimes.

You can host with a dynamic IP too. Google DDNS . Static IPs are not charged more for the " privilege" but for the extra infrastructural costs involved compared to a dynamic setup.

Back