[Spoilers] Game of Thrones (ASOIAF) thread

I know this is a great TV series and all but can anyone tell me how to properly watch it? I mean i have watched it season 1 but today i have no idea what happened and anything and i will have to start all over whenever I plan to.
I do not want to get lost and want to actually understand and enjoy the series like most others. I gave up only because i wasn't able to understand many things.
Watch the recap of Season 1 before starting with Season 2. There are many videos of it on YouTube.

One I found here:

Don't worry about not understanding many details. Most TV viewers don't understand half of what's happening. Even the ones who've read the books get confused; I do sometimes.

Before reading the books I was also kinda lost in many instances. Its tough to remember the characters (who's who), houses (well, its difficult in the books too - but from due to more details and focus on important characters - it remains in head after a while :p ).

After reading the books I had rewatched the seasons and this time my wife joined me.
I had to pause a lot of times to make her understand the plot/characters.

To understand the series (without reading the books), you might try discussing with someone who read the books. (My friend use to pause and call me every now and then while he was watching :D ). Or post your queries here.
Some doubts may seems stupid - like while saying something to my friend I said "...Cersai..." - he asked "who's Cersai?" So I have to refer her as the Queen or mother of the evil-boy-king or incest couple. :D
But don't worry - everyone have them.
In the S04E01, I remember the guy Red Viper - but couldn't remember exact relation to Lannisters while telling my wife.

Who is the guy in episode 1 of season 4? The one who said "feast on crows" or something similar (and the video showed a hand being cooked) to the wildlings?

Was that guy/character introduced earlier and have I forgotten about it or was this the first time we're seeing him?? :eek:

Who is the guy in episode 1 of season 4? The one who said "feast on crows" or something similar (and the video showed a hand being cooked) to the wildlings?

Was that guy/character introduced earlier and have I forgotten about it or was this the first time we're seeing him?? :eek:
Yes, first time.
And his name is Styr, Magnar(Lord) of the Thenn(wildling clan).

BTW, i loved the purple wedding episode. :D

I know this is a great TV series and all but can anyone tell me how to properly watch it? I mean i have watched it season 1 but today i have no idea what happened and anything and i will have to start all over whenever I plan to.
I do not want to get lost and want to actually understand and enjoy the series like most others. I gave up only because i wasn't able to understand many things.

You probably need to read the books to watch the show. So much background stuff that can't be packed into the tv show.

And now to The Wall and Meereen.

There will be twists and big episodes almost every alternate episode this season. The second part of the third book is the most uplifting part of the series.

@raksrules I was having the same problem with GoT, could n`t understand a thing till second season.

Soon I started to like/hate the characters involved and that way it was easier to understand the plot. Not that I am asking you to like or hate, just saying stick to the show and you will get to know things better.

Btw, even I was confused about the character with Aarya named - Valar Moghulis... Is he going to come back in this season?
I felt he has something to do with Aarya, something that will make Aarya powerful. Offcourse with the needle !!

Btw, even I was confused about the character with Aarya named - Valar Moghulis... Is he going to come back in this season?
I felt he has something to do with Aarya, something that will make Aarya powerful. Offcourse with the needle !!
His name was Jaqen H'ghar.

Valar Morghulis isn't a character. It's just a general Essos saying in High Valyrian language that translates to "all men must die."

His whereabouts are unknown at this point, though some theorize him to be in Oldtown at the Citadel; this place is yet to be introduced in the TV show, but it's where all the Maesters earn their links from.

@raksrules
It does actually. Read it when you don't understand something. It has got season by season analysis of each character. I used to jump lines to avoid spoilers but it was all worth it. No I'm kind of a GOT expert among my friends and peers. :cool:

Edit: Quoted the wrong post. Sorry.

Last edited:
I have not read the book. But from the episode yesterday, I have a feeling that the murder was done by the Tyrells. Does anybody else agree ? I don't have any problem with book spoilers.

I have not read the book. But from the episode yesterday, I have a feeling that the murder was done by the Tyrells. Does anybody else agree ? I don't have any problem with book spoilers.
o4VngKR.jpg

aoI3VKm.jpg

I actually did not observe that. I inferred it from the dialogues. However, apparently the book says otherwise. Then again the series always been a bit different from the books.

Back