Split windows partiton

jaber

Disciple
I have a single 250gb sata HDD. I have windows xp installed on a 50GB partition..

I would like to split this partiion into two 25gb partitions without losing any data or having to reinstall windows....

What software should i use or how do i go about it?

ive tried it once on windows partition. after completion i wasnt able to boot windows and it gave message that some .sys files failed to load. It corrupts partition i recomend not to split partitions where windows is installed.

nvidiabeast said:
donno about acronis partition expert.. but i used partition magic ver 8.0 and it sucked corrupting my windows.. :(

have used partition magic many times for this kind of partitioning. works perfect without any problems. you prolly dint do it right.

Admins/mods,
Stormblast is arguing against me and is not letting me share my experience since last couple of days. kindly look forward to this matter. i am with pc since the age of 10 (more then 10 years of experience) and he wants me to teach repartition :lol: kindly issue warning as i have rights to describe my experience and caution everyone.

Ok this thing is getting complicated...

I wanted to install Linux on the new partition that i would create..

I read the flash tutorial i got with partition magic 8 and it says that linux uses a different file system..

So i want to know will the data on the remaining three partitions which has the NTFS file system be visible to me in linux?

Can someone point me to a tutorial for this..

Buddy, if you are planning to install linux then I would suggest back up your entire hard drive when u have the chance. By the looks of it, it seems that you haven't installed it before, so I wrong step while partition and you'll screw up the hard drive.

If you are bold enough and have the time, start experimenting yourself, you'll learn a lot. Try to pick up the basics from the net, and start the practicals. I am not a guru at linux, but I tried it before, its fun, but rem' back your data.

:hap2: :hap2:

nvidiabeast said:
Admins/mods,
Stormblast is arguing against me and is not letting me share my experience since last couple of days. kindly look forward to this matter. i am with pc since the age of 10 (more then 10 years of experience) and he wants me to teach repartition :lol: kindly issue warning as i have rights to describe my experience and caution everyone.

so u mean to say only u are allowed to share your experience. i am not allowed to post about how good partition magic is. its never caused me any problems so i posted n clarified cause u prolly dint do it right, cause its worked for me without any problems. if you find my post about partition magic offensive then i suggest u stop reading this thread, rather than crying to admins that i am arguing with you.

in your other thread you post crap like home is 3x times faster than pro & u expect no1 to argue with u or what. in any other forum your post of home 3x times faster than pro might have been put in the jokes section. atleast think before you post dude. yes you can share your experience but post something that makes sense. if you keep making these kind of posts you are not far away from becoming techboy no.2. just cause u have used a pc since the age of 10 doesnt mean u know everything. everyday even ppl who are using pc since 20-25 years get to learn something new.

stop arguing & crapping jabers thread now.

@jaber - if u change the partition type your data will be lost mostly. unless if you keep the same ntfs partition n split the partition into 2 then it will be fine.
maybe someone who uses linux here can help you out & tell you if the ntfs partition data can be seen in linux.

partition magic. there is a chance you may loose data though.

1st you are saying that it isnt much safe and you may loose data

have used partition magic many times for this kind of partitioning. works perfect without any problems.
you prolly dint do it right.

then u said u partitioned properly!!

U cannot say that or comment that i am doing right or not. anyways didnt mean to argue anything. just respect others and others will respect you.

^^ u dont understand anything do u.

1st i said that there is a chance you can loose data which is possible whenever u create partition on a drive that already has data. even if u do anything wrong there is a chance the data will go.

2ndly i then shared my experience after your post that how i have used partition magic many times & fortunately not lost any data yet.

what happened to you was, as you said "ive tried it once on windows partition. after completion i wasnt able to boot windows and it gave message that some .sys files failed to load. It corrupts partition i recomend not to split partitions where windows is installed."
as i said, you prolly have done it wrong as your data on the windows partition might have got shifted to the other partition u had made, hence your windows might not be booting. also you could have done it right & still lost data cause of your badluck which is y i mentioned the word "prolly" (probably). as you can also see zhopudey has partitioned his windows drive without any problems with partition magic & so have I.

I also had this problem with partition manager ver 8.0 resizing.Ended up losing
all my data on that drive.:(

@jaber-You need ext3fs(Fedora) or Reiserfs(suse linux) format har drives to install linux.I would recommend around 10 Gb to be set aside for installing linux .
Backup all the data to seperate drive where you have space.
you have chose the custom partioning for installing linux as the default one formats the entire hard disk to ext3fs or reiserfs.
I would suggest to take the help of some one who has already done installation of linux or else you may end up losing ur valuable data.

Open suse is the best os for noobs.Fedora is fast and more configureable but not recommended for new users.

Partition Magic 8 does work & split a partition but its not 100% failsafe thats why you should always backup your data 'coz its most important...

I had used Partition Magic 8 to increase the size of primary partition on my brothers notebook & it worked flawlessly :) but splitting is another thing... I think one should defragment the partition before splitting then there would be less chances of OS installation going bad....

But Data backup is a must precaution so that you don't feel sorry later....:bleh: :bleh:

I'm getting really afraid to this stuff myself now..

I found out that to dual boot i need to install Bootmagic which can be installed only on a FAT32 partition.So i'll need to make one of those first.

Also im prompted to make these rescue disks but have no floppy drive.Cant figure out how to make a rescue cd myself.

Also it says my partition has more than 1024 cylinders so there is a risk of data being lost....

I'm beginning to feel i'll have to buy a new hdd only

I've been using Partition Magic since more than 5 years without a prob , just once I had a problem with it erasing the bootloader with GoBack installed ... It works great if you know how to use it :)

Getting a new hdd would be the best option if you don't wanna mess around with bootloaders, just select which hd you want to boot from the bios.

Back