Splicing together different ethernet cables to create a longer one

DestGod

Disciple
(Disclaimer: I'm a noob at networking, so if anything I wrote here makes you face palm, I apologize. I'd appreciate a correction)

I've got a bunch of individual 1m ethernet cables lying around, and after discovering the art of splicing and crimping, I decided to make my own ethernet cable. I'm thinking of maybe a 10m run from my router. Thing is, each of the cable is not same as one another. Would making a longer cable be as simple as just connecting and twisting each wire together and soldering them (sort of like how it works in making extensions of data cables)?

What would be the drawbacks of this?

Lot of effort for many joints makes up for an unreliable connection.

better get this instead: https://www.amazon.in/Technotech-Ethernet-Network-Patch-Cable/dp/B01DGVKBC6/
I bought a 30m cable for around 550 INR and it works great. Quality is good.
Yeah, I checked that out on Amazon as well. I'm planning on trying out this as a project to satisfy my unproductive days, since I've got a WiFi 6 module doing my main grunt work.

Unreliable connection as in instability and higher latency?

Unreliable connection as in instability and higher latency?
Could be anything from not working at all to some intermittent issues like packet drops, latency or if you're lucky it'll be just fine but again since it's a cable with many joints it'll be fragile.
I wouldn't rely on this for any critical/uninterruptible needs.

Would making a longer cable be as simple as just connecting and twisting each wire together and soldering them (sort of like how it works in making extensions of data cables)?

What would be the drawbacks of this?
I have done this in the past. It can work but it's not reliable. Don't expect high bandwidth. It may even limit you to 10 mbps.

Even if there is a risk of bad connection, this is too cheap and easy to not try :

I run one to my router from laptop, and it doesn't cause a big slow down : although router and laptop are both 1 gbps, and I've tested local lan speeds of around 650 Mbps with one more laptop connected to the same lan. Bottleneck may be either laptop or the router or the lan itself, so I don't believe the cable joint is causing big problems.

Thanks for your replies guys. This is just another of my "I'll try it out and if it works fine, I'll use it or it'll end up at the back of my cupboard" stuff. Maybe if I do manage to get at least a solid chunk of my measly 50mbps connections, I'll consider using it. The most strenous networking task I do is probably esports gaming, since ping matters a lot lol. Otherwise, I just need enough for casual everyday usage, which I'll load onto wifi.

Cheapest option is to look around. You'll find many unused cables laying around on building terrace or dangling from sides. I have a few hundred meters of such cables. These are now being used for cloth drying and as creeper plant guides. :p

It's a lot of work. You need to do a linesman splice. It will hold and be reliable but its a lot of work. Soldering will be needed as the wires are quite thin

Cheapest option is to look around. You'll find many unused cables laying around on building terrace or dangling from sides. I have a few hundred meters of such cables. These are now being used for cloth drying and as creeper plant guides. :p
Ahh good point.:D I never bothered to check what type of cables were used to hang clothes in my terrace.. Will do.
It's a lot of work. You need to do a linesman splice. It will hold and be reliable but its a lot of work. Soldering will be needed as the wires are quite thin

Sure. Soldering is something I enjoy, so thats fine with me. Appreciate it.

Back