south india/peninsula trip help and suggestions

Planning a trip to south india/peninsula in nov 2014. I have 10th nov to 19th nov. My flight is landing in kochi and taking off from kochi. Cities i am planning to see are kochi, kollam,trivandrum,kanniyakumari,rameshwaram,madurai,munnar and kodaikonal.

Please suggest me a time efficient trip plan starting from kochi and ending at kochi. Also let me know where to stay and give more time and where to just sight see and move forward. Also let me know the sight seeings of the particular place. Finally all the do's and dont's i should keep in mind.
Hope will get a great trip plan :)
Please note that i will be travelling by taxi. If there is any other place which is actually worth visiting and giving time then let me know. Please keep in mind it should not be too far (>300KM) from kochi so that i should not be far off from where i am leaving.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Is this trip intended to be a spiritual journey or fun/relaxing?
Are you going alone or with family?

In my opinion nine days for covering all the places, with prime center of attractions you mentioned are possible but not enjoyable...in short, tight.

Is this trip intended to be a spiritual journey or fun/relaxing?
Are you going alone or with family?

In my opinion nine days for covering all the places, with prime center of attractions you mentioned are possible but not enjoyable...in short, tight.
We r 4 ppl(family of 4 adults)..and this is not spiritual..its a fun trip..but we want to cover few temples as well like in madurai and trivandrum. I guess kollam and rameshwaram dont hv much temples but if there will be, they will be visited. So its like 25% spiritual and 75% fun trip

I would dump kodai and instead go to kumarakom/allepey. Beautiful place it is - absolutely close to nature. What is your budget like? I spent a couple of days in the taj property at kumarakom and it was the best vacation I had in very many years. Right in the middle of salim Ali bird sanctuary, it is an incredibly picturesque place. You wake up to the sound of birds and have an incredible view of lake vembanad from your room.

If you are planning to stay in kochi I would suggest you live either in willingdon island or fort kochi. The city itself isn't that great.

Also instead of trivandrum, stay in kovalam. Again it is an incredible place with glorious views of the sea especially if you stay in taj or leela.

Last edited:
We r 4 ppl(family of 4 adults)..and this is not spiritual..its a fun trip..but we want to cover few temples as well like in madurai and trivandrum. I guess kollam and rameshwaram dont hv much temples but if there will be, they will be visited. So its like 25% spiritual and 75% fun trip

Kollam has the famed bhagavathy temple in Kerala....must visit in Kollam
Rameswaram has enough temples both big and small to go along with Lord Rama fame to keep you occupied for 2-3 days atleast. Also the worship procedure of the famous Siva temple alone will keep you engaged for a day atleast. Nevertheless try visiting Dhanushkodi which is both fun place with seeing and feeling both the seas ( Bay of Bengal & Arabian Sea) at the same time and spiritual (Hindus pay the last rites of their ancestors). Rameswaram is the farthest from Kochi too.

Both Munnar and Kodai are hillstations. But prefer Munnar for its idyllic scenery and calm.

The way I see it, the 3 TN places alone except Kodai will take up 5-6 days atleast - Being 75% Spiritual and 25% Fun.

Also as Chaos suggested, I would prefer Allepey/ Kumarakom but the cost is to be factored too. But the place is g8.
Let us know.

Kollam has the famed bhagavathy temple in Kerala....must visit in Kollam
Rameswaram has enough temples both big and small to go along with Lord Rama fame to keep you occupied for 2-3 days atleast. Also the worship procedure of the famous Siva temple alone will keep you engaged for a day atleast. Nevertheless try visiting Dhanushkodi which is both fun place with seeing and feeling both the seas ( Bay of Bengal & Arabian Sea) at the same time and spiritual (Hindus pay the last rites of their ancestors). Rameswaram is the farthest from Kochi too.

Both Munnar and Kodai are hillstations. But prefer Munnar for its idyllic scenery and calm.

The way I see it, the 3 TN places alone except Kodai will take up 5-6 days atleast - Being 75% Spiritual and 25% Fun.

Also as Chaos suggested, I would prefer Allepey/ Kumarakom but the cost is to be factored too. But the place is g8.
Let us know.

Sir i have mentioned 25% spiritual and 75% fun..so spending much time on temples will be avoided and want to see only main temples of the area.. i can drop kodai if i wont be getting enough time for main attaractions. Please let me know the main visiting places and main temples of the cities mentioned below..
1. Kochi
2. Kollam
3. Trivandrum
4. Kanyakumari/i dont knw the city name
5. Rameshwaram
6. Madurai
7. Kodai
8. Munnar

Please also let me knw the time i shouls give to each place keeping in regard i want to see the cream places and spots of the area.

First Day Relax at Cochin you can go to Mattancheri which is some 15km from cochin there you can see dutch Palace and Synagogue or you can go for a day boat trip organised by KTDC . Day 2 and 3 can be spent at Munnar Hill Station . Day 5 proceed to Kumarakom via kottayam . Most of the resorts will arrange back water cruise for you do a short one (do check lake song resort ).Day 6 From Kumarakam proceed to Alleppey do a day cruice in Kettuvallam (house boat ) or boat trip organiced by KTDC . Evening relax at the beach checkout the light house near beach . Avoid full day stay at house boat since now a days they halt at riverside not in the Lake take a day cruise and stay in a nice resort . tbc...

avoid Kodai if possible, i was there last week and its not so good now. even the climate isnt all that chill. Maybe it will be less crowded now cos schools have started.

Sir i have mentioned 25% spiritual and 75% fun..so spending much time on temples will be avoided and want to see only main temples of the area.. i can drop kodai if i wont be getting enough time for main attaractions. Please let me know the main visiting places and main temples of the cities mentioned below..
1. Kochi
2. Kollam
3. Trivandrum
4. Kanyakumari/i dont knw the city name
5. Rameshwaram
6. Madurai
7. Kodai
8. Munnar

Please also let me knw the time i shouls give to each place keeping in regard i want to see the cream places and spots of the area.

I would suggest giving a go with madhukannan's idea. After going to Cochin>Munnar>Kumarakom, Decide on Allepey, similar to Kumarakom. Then go to Rameswaram. Spend 2 or 1.5 days there and on return go to Kanyakumari and return to Kochi. Spare a day for reserve too.

Rameswaram - Main Temple, Dhanushkodi Dip, Several small temples ( Cue you later...atleast 10). ( Spiritual 70 & Fun 30%)
Kanyakumari - Temple, Valluvar Statue, Vivekanada Rock, Padmanapuram Palace (Fun 80% )

In Madurai - Meenatchi Amman temple, Thiruparankundram Murugan Temple,Azhagar Koil & Pazhamudhir solai & Hills, Jain Hills (90% Spiritual, 10% Hills is fabulous).

Let us know.

I want to avoid most of the spiritual journey but my dad wont permit :-/ Anyways, so, madurai, munnar, rameshwaram, kochi, kumarakom, kanyakumari is confirmed now. Only two places kollam and trivandrum are left. i know about kollam its a nice place to saty, but what about trivandrum? Is is worth going? What are the places to visit there?[DOUBLEPOST=1401962456][/DOUBLEPOST]I want to avoid most of the spiritual journey but my dad wont permit :-/ Anyways, so, madurai, munnar, rameshwaram, kochi, kumarakom, kanyakumari is confirmed now. Only two places kollam and trivandrum are left. i know about kollam its a nice place to saty, but what about trivandrum? Is is worth going? What are the places to visit there?

Trivandrum has the famous Padmanabhaswamy temple and a Palace with antique wood works....Waterfalls....that I remember. Also some museums. Other sights like beach and boating is covered in plenty in other places.
Better skip Trivandrum and concentrate on the other places if you want.

It is going to be rainy season in Konkan and Kerala area, not at all going be a pleasant experience. In Kerala, did you miss Kumarakom ?
Edit: Sorry, didn't check your visit date. You are touring in the right season.

Last edited:
I have planned my trip in november not these days..its 8th of november to 17th of november. Hope it will not be that rainy during that period. i didnt know about kumarakom. Have included it in my plan. maybe i will drop trivandrum or kollam to manage the tour within 9 days. i need 2 days for munnar as well. Hope kumarakom will wrap up in 1 day as i will reach there at 9 am sharp. please suggest me what to do i am really confused and how i should manage my days and time. i am posting a reference map of my route i have decided starting from kochi. I will be travelling by car from kochi and will travel in a loop back to kochi where i will board my return flight to delhi.

rs9z50.png

Ill try to give an idea with all the places you planned.

Day 1 see all cochin and goto kumarakom by evening. There either spend the night at a good place or a houseboat. Optionally visit some beach on the way.
Day 2 : have a small trip in the boat, see places around. Evening travel to tvm. Stay there.
Day 3: tvm: visit all temples,beach,historic stuff. Start to kanyakumari by evening. Stay there.
Day 4: see sunrise,visit temples,attractions. Start to rameswaram afternoon,stay in rameswaram.
Day 5: visit temples,dhanushkodi. Start to Madurai later. Stay in Madurai.
Day 6: visit temples,attractions. Have a meal from famous eateries there. Start to kodai by eve. Night stay in kodai.
Day 7: visit the attractions. Travel to munnar by evening.
Day 8,9: munnar and back.

You see the tradeoff here,it's travel all the time. Drop a few places, since you'd like a relaxed trip. November should be allright weather wise, but it's tourist season at these places. Expect a bit of rush.

Back