Sony Xperia S Review

Been almost 20 days since I got the Xperia S. Brilliant device and there really isn't much that I have to complain about :wink:
16glkxt.jpg

x10pw8.jpg

2zi4fwm.jpg

ngwsg1.jpg

343jiif.jpg

nl7dl0.jpg

sfkkn9.jpg

2gskb9v.jpg

14e0zg1.jpg

zx0kex.jpg

So here's my "small" review. Pics will be uploaded by evening.

Design & Build Quality
2d0ewls.jpg

The design is in one word - GORGEOUS !. The transparent bar at the bottom gives it a unique look and above it the design is almost monolithic, just like Sony monolithic design Bravia Tvs. Looks amazing and I can't help stare at my phone VERY often and appreciate the wonderful design. I absolutely love the design, though I wish it were a little thinner. But its really comfortable to hold though. The grip is very good and no slippery feel here, the phone's anti stain coating also helps and after 20 days its still as good as new with no stains or fingerprint marks on the body.

Unfortunately the three buttons above the transparent bar are not that responsive to a soft touch. But a firm touch does the trick.

Build Quality is also very solid, not much to complain about. The device feels really premium in the hands and everything seems well put together. The only slight problem I have with the Build Quality is the back cover. It could have been more solid.

Software and Performance

Xperia S is currently running Android 2.3.7 Gingerbread with Sony custom UXP. When I first saw the UI during the phone's launch at CES, I was blown away by how clean and elegant it looked. And it looks even better on the Xperia S screen :wink:
2vmdgsx.png

24bt16x.png

The Sony UI isn't too intrusive and is very pleasing to the eyes. Timescape and Facebook Inside Xperia are two big highlights but I can't tell you how good they work as I don't use either of them.
301mrza.png

The Sony music player is fantastic though. The My music part looks similar to Windows Phone as has been mentioned everywhere.
2cf34ev.png

Other apps Sony included are the power saver app, Xperia smart tags app, Live ware manager, Friends music & videos, DLNA app etc.

The clock and the weather widget are really nice but the Power Control/Toggle widget isn't quite nice. You need to click it twice to open the entire controls list and only then toggle on and off.
2mg9zj5.png

Performance is very smooth and largely free from any lag whatsoever. In the 20 days that I have had the phone, I think I experienced "lag" only 2 days and that too for about 3 seconds.

Never had the need to reboot either and the phone doesn't slow down over time.

Browsing is super smooth and I really don't feel any difference in smoothness while browsing on the XS compared to my laptop. No complaints here. Pages load fast and scrolling is smooth, no stutter or lags.

Benchmarks below
2myx1t0.png

15cg0f6.png

2a4rf5v.png

2qx6z4l.png

xbkewy.png

11bho50.png

zitw20.png

35c0jkh.png

286yavb.png

1zwhurl.png

65zfk5.png

hwctjp.png

Multimedia, Screen & Camera

The Xperia S has a 4.3 inch 720p HD screen and it is nothing short of a beauty !!. It has highest PPI of any Android smartphone at 342PPI and is sharper than even the Iphone 4/4S retina display.

It is also extremely bright and at full brightness indoors can even blind you coupled with the super high sharpness :p

Watching videos on the screen is a treat and has very vibrant colors that truly POP. Except for blacks, I would say it has en edge even over an OLED display. Also colors are more natural on the screen than OLED screens.

Text is super crisp and reading websites without zooming in is possible. Even better than Iphone 4S for reading books !

Viewing angles are not amazing but then who looks at their phone screen from a 60/80/90/120 degree angle ?

At least I don't and head on, the Xperia S screen is more than a match for any other screen out there. Everything pops and makes you fall in love with the screen

It plays all video formats easily and even with the gallery app I could play almost all videos except for 1080p mkv which do play butter smooth but with no audio.
With third party apps like Dice player there is not a hint of stutter no matter what video you play.
Plays 1080p videos in the browser without breaking a sweat too.

Also transferring large files is a breeze as the transfer speed is brilliant. I transferred a 600mb movie to the phone in 55 seconds !

Audio Quality is very good too. For a phone it's very commendable but compared to a quality dedicated PMP like my Sony Walkman A series, its quite less loud at full volume. Though for most people it shouldn't be an issue but then I haven't heard any other smartphone that has the same loudness as my Walkman.

Overall audio quality though is very good and for some reason I seem to enjoy listening to music on the Xperia S a lot now and its been a week since I even switched on my walkman. Oh and the stock earphones sound quite good !! Bassheads would like them for sure. Much better than the Htc Beats earphones

The bass is definitely not as deep as the Walkman but its quite good for a phone, the highs seems better though and almost on par with the Walkman. It has an equalizer so you can change the sound to whatever you like, along with Clear Bass which can be adjusted up to 10 points.

12 megapixel EXMOR R camera. Yup that's probably the biggest USP of this device and it doesn't disappoint. In daylight photos are sharp, clear and detailed with little noise. In low light conditions though you can get a horrible picture if you do not know how to get the settings right.

The Xperia S isn't the best camera phone in the world if you just want to point and shoot and not play around with the settings and have no patience.

But if you have some patience and are willing to play around with the settings then you will definitely come up with photos that would look better than almost any other smartphone out there except for the Nokia 808 pureview.

1080p videos are a smooth 30 fps and quality is great even in not so bright conditions.

The front camera also captures 720 HD video and the quality is really nice.

Sample pics below
2n0kiaf.jpg

2gtnarp.jpg

10mk47s.jpg

21ngjgg.jpg

70xkxh.jpg

20hmrv7.jpg

30lp6w7.jpg

2q2016t.jpg

4s03ya.jpg

3584002.jpg

2dt7tp0.jpg

2yydngm.jpg

k1thtl.jpg

w8t1mr.jpg

Call Quality and Battery Life

Signal reception is excellent on the XS. I always get full bars whereas all other phones manage only 3 bars in my home. Call Quality is also brilliant on both sides the voices are clear and the noise cancellation works nicely as well.

The best call quality among all phones that I have owned and used in recent times.

Full 5 stars for signal reception and call quality

Battery Life was horrible for the first few days. It would discharge completely in about 6 hours with moderate usage. But it has settled now and I get between 18-30 hours of battery life depending on usage with about 3-4 hours of screen on time.
ofvmf8.png

Overall

I love this phone to death. No major complaints just a few minor ones :

1. Still need to wait 2-3 weeks for ICS, but then that's fine as the update will be bug free and feature lot of cool new apps from the upcoming Xperia GX.

2. Wish the volume was a little higher via earphones. Also the speaker during phone calls is not that loud

3. Battery should have been of higher capacity

4. Screen could have done with deeper black levels

5. The three touch sensitive buttons at the bottom are not always responsive

Xperia S Overclocked

Anybody curious what Xperia S can manage when overclocked ;) Mind you, this is still with Gingerbread. Come ICS the scores would go even higher.

Quadrant
2z55dw9.png

Antutu - Higher than Htc One S
jl0wfm.png

Vellamo - Higher than Asus Transformer Prime Tegra 3 Tablet
219xh7b.png

9lg4mo.png

Passmark Performance benchmark - Higher than GS3, Htc One X, and Asus transformer prime
kafkmw.png

Nenamark 2 - One X gets 47.5, with ICS Xperia S should manage 46-47
2en0njs.png

Browsermark - Close to what One X scores WITH Ics !!
2ppyamv.png

LinPack Single and Multithread - Very close to One X score in multi threaded, higher than One X in Single threaded
5frarn.png

dftuh1.png

Peacekeeper HTML5 benchmark test - much higher than One X even with Gingerbread, close to Apple Ipad 2nd/3rd Gen
2450ldy.png

thanks ur detailed review bro,

one question if the phone freezes or gets struck, whats the solution, should we wait until all the battery drains up?

^
Not at all. You need to press the power and volume up button simultaneously for 10 seconds and the phone will reboot itself. :)

will rebooting the phone loose all the downloaded/saved apps?
plz excuse me for my ignorance, all my life i have been a nokia user using symbian os only upto symbian belle i have used, n i dont know anything about android.............n i want my 1st android experience to be the best one, so all this dilemma , i even thought of going for samsung s3, but after reading ur review i am more than convinced that sony xperia s is more than enough for all my needs......but somewhere a little bit of me is lingering on s galaxy s3 also , if the price were a little bit more reasonable..

but ur review convinced me for sony xperia s, waiting for hayabusa or nxt model of sony official announcement in india bcoz i really needed a bigger battery. will wait until july for official announcement n if nothing new from sony will get sony xperia s

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

heard that the white magic displays from sony are really draining the battery life pretty bad, so will stay away from them..

^
WhiteMagic screen is only on Xperia P. And the Xperia P is getting decent enough battery life in real life, even more than Xperia S :)

Also no, when you press volume up + power it just reboots the phone, you don't lose any data/apps. Its exactly how it would be if you powered off your phone and then switched it back on. :)

Well there is no high end phone coming this year from Sony with a super large battery. The maximum battery capacity in an Xperia this year will be on the mint - 1850mAh. And that won't launch until October in India.

^
WhiteMagic screen is only on Xperia P. And the Xperia P is getting decent enough battery life in real life, even more than Xperia S :)

Also no, when you press volume up + power it just reboots the phone, you don't lose any data/apps. Its exactly how it would be if you powered off your phone and then switched it back on. :)

Well there is no high end phone coming this year from Sony with a super large battery. The maximum battery capacity in an Xperia this year will be on the mint - 1850mAh. And that won't launch until October in India.

I believe the Acro S is releasing with 1900 mAh battery.. I am really looking forward to the seeing the phone release..

^
What temperatures do you see usually on your S ? Mine gets upto 42 degress when playing 1080p movies or playing games. Max 47 after prolonged gaming. Still its lower than GS2 which heats upto 55 degrees Celsius and also the One X.

And what apps are you asking about ? I don't quite understand.

Congrats randomuser111!!! I really like the phone's design..... you should post some more beauty shots of the phone for all of us to admire.

But what worries me is that there still has been no ICS announcements from Sony for any of their phones... Even their recent launches have been on GingerBread.

Xperia S ICS 4.04

2nlx0fo.png

28cqek6.png

nx1jqh.png

jpejwm.png

2iks8x2.png

35mkz1s.png

28jh7v4.png

51rqya.png

5baeqh.png

347tkc4.png

fx80hi.png

2eulklw.png

b83c3s.png

r9mnna.png

28vvhid.png

Will post more later if anyone here wants me to. :)

Overall feels very fluid and snappy. Benchmark scores are also slightly higher than earlier. Loving the face unlock and Walkman/Films/Album apps :D

Great.. Had asked in another thread as to whether people have started getting the update... Let us know the battery improvement (if any) after couple of days use and also of any issues after the update..

^^ I haven't received any update notification and PC companion is saying my phone is upto date.
Later I found that update is released for few SI numbers and will be released for all SI numbers in coming weeks. Hence asked for your phone's SI number.

Back