Sony Xperia S/P/U/Sola/GO Thread

Guys tell me one thing, does installing more apps, reduce the battery life? I mean previously for the first 3 days I got my phone the battery life was going great but now, I have more than 60 apps installed on my phone, I don't which of those keep working even when my phone is idle, is there any way to know which of them are working when my phone is idle?

I have more than 60 apps installed on my phone, I don't which of those keep working even when my phone is idle, is there any way to know which of them are working when my phone is idle?

I told this one to you earlier, long hold the HOME switch, when on the Home screen outside the app menu OR any running app. This will bring up the list of applications running in the background. Start swiping them to kill them.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Swiping them kills them right? I only thought it removes it from the list of recent apps :/

Kills them and frees up resources tied down in the background. Though very often used applications are also listed in the Running applications set (In Settings --> Apps) as they are cached in memory. Killing them from there has an even more adverse effect on the battery levels, so avoid that.

Also entering into Settings --> Developer Options you can limit the number of said apps running in the background.

P.S. -- congrats on the promotion.

Alpha, that swipe thing which you have told me, I have been doing it all along, do you suggest that I should remove a few apps?

Kills them and frees up resources tied down in the background. Though very often used applications are also listed in the Running applications set (In Settings --> Apps) as they are cached in memory. Killing them from there has an even more adverse effect on the battery levels, so avoid that.

Also entering into Settings --> Developer Options you can limit the number of said apps running in the background.

P.S. -- congrats on the promotion.

Thanks a bunch :)

Yep I've already done the settings - - > Developer Options tweak earlier :D

Alpha, that swipe thing which you have told me, I have been doing it all along, do you suggest that I should remove a few apps?

Nope, limit the amount of the apps that can be run in the background by going into the developer settings.

Also, are you running a lot of widgets / data related applications. This can account for battery drainage as sometimes if they are allowed, they keep transmitting / receiving data in the background.

Seems no matter what I try my battery life has reduced, so I have though of removing all the apps and then re installing all the needed apps and keeping the installer's of all the rarely or occasionaly used software, is this a good idea?

^^ Yes Swype is included in Sola, and I use it everytime. I never use landscape mode for texting or typing , swype works well with portrait mode and even if you are not using it.

The keyboard spacing is pretty good even with normal touch typing.

^ I use SWYPE almost exclusively on my Galaxy S2.
Had a lot of problem typing without SWYPE when I just started using my phone. Lots of errors and corrections making it painful.
Then I discovered SWYPE and texting has been fun since then.

Some good and bad news - Sony announces which Xperia phones will get Jelly Bean
Sony's latest high-end Xperia phones - the Xperia T, TX and V - will be updated to 4.1 Jelly Bean in mid-Q1 next year.
Next up are the global versions of Xperia S, Xperia acro S, Xperia ion, Xperia P, Xperia go and Xperia J
Sony announces which Xperia phones will get Jelly Bean - GSMArena.com news

The good part : Plenty of Xperias are getting JB update, which includes even Xperia Go
The bad part : Xperia Sola and U are surprisingly missing which are in many ways same as Xperia Go.

Back