sony xperia s or samsung galaxy s2 ? what should i go for,share ur views

jaffa

Disciple
i have been a nokia user all my life n want to switch on to an android phone,
i have 2 mobiles on my mind
1) sony xperia s
2)samsung galaxy s2

any hands on user whos used both the phones or at least gotten their hands on both the phones could please provide me with some advice

regarding sony i have some doubt, my brothers got some walkman brand android 2.1 running phone i played with that many a times n found that the touch response of that phone is not upto the mark, so hows this sony xperia s touch response?

Thanking u guys in advance for ur suggestions n help,

i am not going to change this phone for atleast say another 2 years,
so plz guide my guys

the battery on sony xperia s is not replaceable one n i am a heavy user so will it survive 2 years of heavy usage?
can some one plz guide me into buying the best one in between those or any other suggestions

Well no other Android manufacturer has updated as many of their phones to ICS as Sony has. Out of the 11 Android phones last year, all except the Xperia Play have/are going to recieve the ICS update. Compare that to HTC and Samsung who have updated only their high end models and those too are full of issues. Also all the Android Sony devices are getting Android 4.04 whereas others updated to only 4.03.

Sorry for my ignorance, can you please tell, what is the major difference in android 4.03 and 4.04

@jaffa
LT29i doesn't come with 2200mAh battery, but 1750mAh.

Sony Xperia LT29i Hayabusa - Full phone specifications
bro even gsmarena's rumour mill states that sony lt29i packs 2220mAh battery, man i am really interested in its bigger battery? r u sure its just 1750mAh battery bro?

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

^
4.04 is slightly more smooth, boot up times quicker, better signal reception, Radio switching is faster, browsing is faster, some minor bug fixes etc.

thanks for the info bro,

Last edited by a moderator:
^
GSMArena info is wrong. GX has 1750mAh battery. I'm sure :)

bro i am sure the sony hayabusa has a 2220mAh battery,
waiting for the official news though

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

^
GSMArena info is wrong. GX has 1750mAh battery. I'm sure :)

bro i am sure the sony hayabusa has a 2220mAh battery,
waiting for the official news though

^^
As I said, those are just rumors. Hayabusa has 1750mAh battery and the Mint will have 1850mAh battery. This info is from someone who works at Sony, not based on any internet rumor. :)
You can decide who you want to believe ;)

Hi guys,

First up, been a regular reader in TE Forum and i really appreciate the quality advices given. You guys rock.

I am in a similar dilemna as the OP (sgs2 or xs), xs looks good overall and also price difference is only ~ 2k higher for the xs and this is a relatively new phone is making me tilt towards xs.

But my concerns with xs are the low earpiece volume issue during call (its not really audible at max level in a moderately noisy place like the mobile shop, my 5800 xm is loud & clear) and also the yellow tint on screen (Sony Xperia S 'yellow screen' issue confirmed | News | TechRadar) .

Please let me know your opinion on the above issues of xs.

Also do let me know the best price for getting xs online and locally in hyderabad.

Thanks!!

The Samsung Galaxy SII even though is a year old phone , still beats Xperia S in bechmarks .
SGSII Screen is better than Xperia S , better blacks and contrast.
SGSII Possibly has better battery life than Xperia S (????) , not sure about this one.
Other limitations like Xperia S having non removable battery and no card slot maybe disappointing for some people.

Xperia S on the other hand looks great , NXT Series trademark transparent panel , not so much can be said about the SGSII ...

Hi guys,

First up, been a regular reader in TE Forum and i really appreciate the quality advices given. You guys rock.

I am in a similar dilemna as the OP (sgs2 or xs), xs looks good overall and also price difference is only ~ 2k higher for the xs and this is a relatively new phone is making me tilt towards xs.

But my concerns with xs are the low earpiece volume issue during call (its not really audible at max level in a moderately noisy place like the mobile shop, my 5800 xm is loud & clear) and also the yellow tint on screen (Sony Xperia S 'yellow screen' issue confirmed | News | TechRadar) .

Please let me know your opinion on the above issues of xs.

Also do let me know the best price for getting xs online and locally in hyderabad.

Thanks!!

Check out my Xperia S review here
http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-previews/sony-xperia-s-review-132374/new/

As for your questions

1. The call quality on the Xperia S is among the best of any phone made till date. You can check the PhoneArena review or any other review and they mention XS has better call quality than any other phone in recent times, including HTC One X, Galaxy S3, etc. The call quality on mine is excellent too and call quality and signal reception IMO is a strong USP of the phone. Its loud and clear on both ends, and great in noisy surroundings as well thanks to the noise cancellation.

2. Yellow Tint is a non issue in the new batch. So don't worry about that.

@mitraark

SGSII does not beat Xperia S in benchmarks. Xperia S scores higher in almost all benchmarks, and by quite a margin. GSII with ICS scores higher in some due to the fact that XS is still on GB. With ICS, Xperia S will decimate the GSII.

Check my review for the numbers and also overclocked numbers where XS comes close to One X with only Gingerbread !! And leaves behind GSII in the dust

Also SGSII screen bests Xperia S screen only in terms of black levels and contrast. Everything else the Xperia S screen is way ahead and is arguably the best screen on the market and beats even the Galaxy S3 screen. There are various videos on Youtube comparing Xperia S screen against One X and GS3 and anyone can clearly tell which phone has the best screen.

Watch this video and judge yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QepBwP5Gil8

The Samsung Galaxy SII even though is a year old phone , still beats Xperia S in bechmarks .
SGSII Screen is better than Xperia S , better blacks and contrast.
SGSII Possibly has better battery life than Xperia S (????) , not sure about this one.
Other limitations like Xperia S having non removable battery and no card slot maybe disappointing for some people.

Xperia S on the other hand looks great , NXT Series trademark transparent panel , not so much can be said about the SGSII ...

+1.. If you can get hold of the new I9100 with ICS OOB (and preferably white ;) ) I'd take it..

randomuser111,

my xperia s too show yellow tint sometimes at the right bottom , mostly visible in white back ground.
Currently it is affecting only very small area, are there any chances that it will spread or something
What you suggest, should I replace it ?

Well one cant compare screens of xs and s3 and say this is better. You can compare s2 and xs and in that xs definately wins because of higher pixels .Screen of xs is smaller than s3 so theoritically it should have better screen because of higher pixel density but one cant say its better. For some size of screen also matters so for them s3 will be better. I for one will pick s3(taking screen into account. i know overall S3 is way better device) because of size even if its .0001% inferior. It would be fair if we can compare same sized displays.

randomuser111,

my xperia s too show yellow tint sometimes at the right bottom , mostly visible in white back ground.
Currently it is affecting only very small area, are there any chances that it will spread or something
What you suggest, should I replace it ?

I suggest you replace it if it bothers you. When did you buy your XS ? I assume you bought it quite early. Get your phone to the service center and ask for a replacement. Though if you bought your phone early and got the free accessories ( NFC tags, car charger) you will have to sacrifice them as the newer batch doesn't include them.
@techpal

Yes I agree :) For those looking for a larger screen, the GS3 screen will be preferable indeed. But in terms of overall quality it doesn't match the Xperia S. Its way less bright, has over saturated colors, pentile matrix, and pinkish tint on the whole screen. Still, I don't mean to say its a bad screen. It certainly isn't and is no doubt among the best screens on the market today along with the Htc One X and Xperia S.

I suggest you replace it if it bothers you. When did you buy your XS ? I assume you bought it quite early. Get your phone to the service center and ask for a replacement. Though if you bought your phone early and got the free accessories ( NFC tags, car charger) you will have to sacrifice them as the newer batch doesn't include them.

I bought it on 1-May but I can see the import date as March-12. I got all the free accessories you mentioned. I have not replaced it yet because that yellow tint appears randomly and bothers me only on a white back ground. I can live with it provided it doesn't spread further. So what's say any possibility of spreading ?

@randomuser111 - Xperia S will be easily overcome by the original 9100 GSII with exonys dual core. But unfortunatly we have only the SII 9100G in India with a TI OMAP 4430. So yup the the Xperia S beats the 9100G in SoC too.

Thanks randomuser111, your xs review thread has cleared a lot of doubts. Also, is there any trick to increase call volume on the handset earpiece (not loudspeaker, the other one we take calls with), i found it a bit feeble for my liking, reminded me of my old k850i which had a similar issue. Funny thing that k850i also had the three dot capacitative buttons way back in the day, seems sony is going past for inspiration.

Btw guys, i have the option of choosing between xs and gs2 (checked box, it is I9100) at 28.2k & 26.5k locally at my place. Maybe the shopwala might reduce the price of s2 by 100-200 bucks.

I am tilted towards xs, is it a good decision.

thanks!!

Back