sony xperia s or samsung galaxy s2 ? what should i go for,share ur views

jaffa

Disciple
i have been a nokia user all my life n want to switch on to an android phone,
i have 2 mobiles on my mind
1) sony xperia s
2)samsung galaxy s2

any hands on user whos used both the phones or at least gotten their hands on both the phones could please provide me with some advice

regarding sony i have some doubt, my brothers got some walkman brand android 2.1 running phone i played with that many a times n found that the touch response of that phone is not upto the mark, so hows this sony xperia s touch response?

Thanking u guys in advance for ur suggestions n help,

i am not going to change this phone for atleast say another 2 years,
so plz guide my guys

the battery on sony xperia s is not replaceable one n i am a heavy user so will it survive 2 years of heavy usage?
can some one plz guide me into buying the best one in between those or any other suggestions

I have seen the screen of S2,it has a yellowish tint to white text ,my SL seems to have way better whites ,but the blacks on the S2 are Amazing,i haven't seen the Xperia S so cant comment on that,but i think you should go for Sony Xperia S Since its new and its Sony Current flagship,and it has better spec than S2 also.

Head on, Xperia S screen is the best screen on the market currently. No other phone compares for now !
Check out Igyaan video review of Xperia S. In the end he mentions that XS screen is the best screen they have seen a long time, and they said the same for One X but once he saw the XS screen he was blown away. No other phones compares when it comes to crispness and detail. :)

I know the Galaxy S3 is 40k, but is there a chance of the price coming down to 30-32k anytime soon? I thought it was supposed to be a successor to the S2 at the same price %.

Yes. It costs about the same in terms of USD. But since the Rupee which cost 44/$ has now depreciated to 56/$ the pricing has also increased by 27% or so from 32k to 40k.

Yes. It costs about the same in terms of USD. But since the Rupee which cost 44/$ has now depreciated to 56/$ the pricing has also increased by 27% or so from 32k to 40k.
man is there any way in the near future that it come down to 32k?

Head on, Xperia S screen is the best screen on the market currently. No other phone compares for now !
Check out Igyaan video review of Xperia S. In the end he mentions that XS screen is the best screen they have seen a long time, and they said the same for One X but once he saw the XS screen he was blown away. No other phones compares when it comes to crispness and detail. :)
thanks bro , u have cleared most of my doubts,
i guess i should go for sony x s then

PhoneArena opinion on Xperia S screen and camera compared to Galaxy S III GT-I9300

Screen :
"Both the Samsung Galaxy S III and Sony Xperia S feature fantastic displays. On one hand, we have the Galaxy S III's 4.8” HD Super AMOLED, and on the other, there's the Xperia S's 4.3” LED-backlit LCD. As we said, both of these are magnificent, but also both have pros and cons. Due to its AMOLED-based technology, the GS III's screen has better contrast and more vivid colors, but the Xperia S actually blasts it with its ultra-bright output, as well as more natural, but still captivating color gamut. Also, thanks to its smaller size, the Xperia S comes with a higher pixel density – 342 ppi, versus the 306 ppi of the GS III. The difference is not great, of course, as both are very detailed, but still, there is one, especially when you also have in mind the GS III's PenTile matrix."

Camera:
"We were nicely surprised by the 12MP camera of the Sony Xperia S. It actually managed to produce shots that are slightly more appealing than those of the Galaxy S III. Thanks to the 12MP sensor, the handset does capture more detail, although noise isn't a rarity either. The Galaxy S III's images have less noise, but there's a bit less detail, and their colors are not as lively."

PhoneArena opinion on Xperia S screen and camera compared to Galaxy S III GT-I9300

Screen :
"Both the Samsung Galaxy S III and Sony Xperia S feature fantastic displays. On one hand, we have the Galaxy S III's 4.8” HD Super AMOLED, and on the other, there's the Xperia S's 4.3” LED-backlit LCD. As we said, both of these are magnificent, but also both have pros and cons. Due to its AMOLED-based technology, the GS III's screen has better contrast and more vivid colors, but the Xperia S actually blasts it with its ultra-bright output, as well as more natural, but still captivating color gamut. Also, thanks to its smaller size, the Xperia S comes with a higher pixel density – 342 ppi, versus the 306 ppi of the GS III. The difference is not great, of course, as both are very detailed, but still, there is one, especially when you also have in mind the GS III's PenTile matrix."

Camera:
"We were nicely surprised by the 12MP camera of the Sony Xperia S. It actually managed to produce shots that are slightly more appealing than those of the Galaxy S III. Thanks to the 12MP sensor, the handset does capture more detail, although noise isn't a rarity either. The Galaxy S III's images have less noise, but there's a bit less detail, and their colors are not as lively."

samsung galaxy s3 costs 40k, i dont want to spend that much money,
reviewers r saying tht the night performance of sony xperia s 2 camera is bad when compared to samsung galaxy s2 or s3 ? is it true?
i actually thought that the exmor r sensor of sony xperia s will perform better in low light n at night conditions?

^
LOL spend 40k on s3 when it has inferior screen and camera compared to Xperia S ? :bleh:

And yes on default settings Galaxy S2/S3/Htc One X/S take better low light photos than Xperia S, but if you use manual mode and adjust a few settings then Xperia S can take better low light photos than all of them. :)

^
LOL spend 40k on s3 when it has inferior screen and camera compared to Xperia S ? :bleh:

And yes on default settings Galaxy S2/S3/Htc One X/S take better low light photos than Xperia S, but if you use manual mode and adjust a few settings then Xperia S can take better low light photos than all of them. :)

actually i am worried about the updates regarding buying sony mobile,
compared to all other phone manufacturers sony is a generation behind always in providing updates n i dont see this trend changing in the near future.
even if they provide updates it will be after months after all other phone manufactures have provided the update ,sony will then wake up from their deep sleep n try to provide the update .

Well no other Android manufacturer has updated as many of their phones to ICS as Sony has. Out of the 11 Android phones last year, all except the Xperia Play have/are going to recieve the ICS update. Compare that to HTC and Samsung who have updated only their high end models and those too are full of issues. Also all the Android Sony devices are getting Android 4.04 whereas others updated to only 4.03.

So its up to you, whether you want to wait 2-3 weeks more to get a bug free release or want to get the update ASAP full of bugs without proper testing. :)

I am sure if you ask most of the guys in this forum which brand would they trust on getting latest updates most would say Sony. And the only reason is at least with Sony you are sure you WILL get the update unlike other brands which do not promise any future updates and most mid and low end devices are completely ignored. Also I don't see how Sony has been a generation behind in providing updates. HTC and Samsung first released ICS updates in late March in some countries, Sony started the ICS update for Arc S, Neo V and Ray in late April. I don't see how 3 weeks is a "generation behind".

As for the Xperia S ICS delay it is because they have included some new applications from the next generation Xperia UI and want to provide an update that is free from any bugs and runs as smoothly as it can. According to reports the latest ICS build for Xperia S is butter smooth. And why is it butter smooth ? Because it takes time to sort out all issues and make sure the user experience is close to perfect.

Also I don't see how Sony has been a generation behind in providing updates. HTC and Samsung first released ICS updates in late March in some countries, Sony started the ICS update for Arc S, Neo V and Ray in late April. I don't see how 3 weeks is a "generation behind".

He is referring to the hardware i guess. Though Sony has kept up with other OEMs in terms of screen, camera etc... they still lag behind in SoC of their flagship.
Last year all the manufacturers carried at least one phone with a dual core processor whereas SE stuck with a single core across the board. This year their flagship carries Snapdragon S3 which is what HTC's flagship had last year!
Hopefully their upcoming Sony Hayabusa global model carries a Snapdragon S4 to narrow to bring the SoC on par with the best in the business.

He is referring to the hardware i guess. Though Sony has kept up with other OEMs in terms of screen, camera etc... they still lag behind in SoC of their flagship.
Last year all the manufacturers carried at least one phone with a dual core processor whereas SE stuck with a single core across the board. This year their flagship carries Snapdragon S3 which is what HTC's flagship had last year!
Hopefully their upcoming Sony Hayabusa global model carries a Snapdragon S4 to narrow to bring the SoC on par with the best in the business.
any expectations of when this Sony Xperia LT29i Hayabusa may release?

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

many users of sony xperia s are complaining that they are left with 600+ mb something amount of free ram they r getting while other phones show 700+ mb of free ram, will this really matter?

^
LT29i will release around September. Announcement on 19th this month. 4.6 inch HD screen, 13 megapixel camera, Snapdragon krait S4 1.5 ghz dual core, 16 GB internal memory + microSD expansion, 8.6 mm thin. Will be priced around 35k when launched in India.

And I have over a 100 apps installed on my Xperia S and I have never seen free ram being an issue. Nor is there slowdown or lag. So don't worry about that.

^
LT29i will release around September. Announcement on 19th this month. 4.6 inch HD screen, 13 megapixel camera, Snapdragon krait S4 1.5 ghz dual core, 16 GB internal memory + microSD expansion, 8.6 mm thin. Will be priced around 35k when launched in India.

And I have over a 100 apps installed on my Xperia S and I have never seen free ram being an issue. Nor is there slowdown or lag. So don't worry about that.

thanks for the info bro, i am in a dilemma whether i should wait until september or should i get xperia s now.

---------- Post added at 06:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 AM ----------

looks like the Sony Xperia acro S doesnt have the curve or human curvature design at the back? am i right? also looks like gone is the illuminating transparent strip?

^
Yes that's true about the Acro S.
The LT29i doesn't have the illuminating transparent strip either. The SONY logo glows though.

xperia-gx.jpg

Xperia LT29i intro vid (GX is Japanese LT29i)

Xperia? GX SO-04D ??????????? - YouTube

^
Yes that's true about the Acro S.
The LT29i doesn't have the illuminating transparent strip either. The SONY logo glows though.

View attachment 12177

Xperia LT29i intro vid (GX is Japanese LT29i)

Xperia? GX SO-04D ??????????? - YouTube

1.5GHz dual-core Sony LT29i Hayabusa expected in July, at Rs. 31,990 - Mobile Phone | ThinkDigit News
this article on thinkdigit says thats its rumored to release in july , i really want to buy sony xperia s now only but i am really tempted by the hayabusa's 2220mAh battery though, dont know what to do now.....

---------- Post added at 07:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 AM ----------

also will i miss the illuminating strip? is the strip that good?

Back