Sony WF-1000XM3 worth it over AirPods Pro?

Anyone knows how the oppo enco x is?
Main use case is taking calls at home and listening to podcasts while walking on bustling sidewalks. So ANC is important. Sony wf 1000xm3 is way too big. Want something much more comfortable. The reviews say the oppos are quite good. But indian reviewers have a habit of praising everything when they get the review unit before launch day from the company.

I have the Jabra 65s but they are somewhat uncomfortable for long periods.

Main use case is taking calls at home and listening to podcasts while walking on bustling sidewalks. So ANC is important. Sony wf 1000xm3 is way too big. Want something much more comfortable. The reviews say the oppos are quite good. But indian reviewers have a habit of praising everything when they get the review unit before launch day from the company.

It is not easy to get good call quality from cheaper earbuds because it take a lot in terms of hardware as well as software to get it right. I learned it the hard way when I tried to use my Buds+ for work calls and had everyone complain about being able to hear cars to planes in the background.

You are right that the Indian reviewers don't have the freedom to be neutral as they are dependant on continuously receiving review units to keep their site or channel going and thus can't be critical. However, in most cases they don't even have the equipment or ability to measure anything objectively.

If you don't care about call quality, then you can go with a particular price range that provides the desired sound quality.

It is not easy to get good call quality from cheaper earbuds because it take a lot in terms of hardware as well as software to get it right. I learned it the hard way when I tried to use my Buds+ for work calls and had everyone complain about being able to hear cars to planes in the background.

You are right that the Indian reviewers don't have the freedom to be neutral as they are dependant on continuously receiving review units to keep their site or channel going and thus can't be critical. However, in most cases they don't even have the equipment or ability to measure anything objectively.

If you don't care about call quality, then you can go with a particular price range that provides the desired sound quality.
You're talking about the Galaxy buds + right. Aren't they pretty good?, I was gonna buy a pair later this week.

You're talking about the Galaxy buds + right. Aren't they pretty good?, I was gonna buy a pair later this week.
The audio quality is quite good and the noise isolation as well. It is good for general on-the-go usage. However, the mic is all over the place as it picks up noise from tens of meters away and hence is unusable in any environment really.

If you have a Samsung device then the Samsung Adaptive codec helps, otherwise you are stuck with AAC which isn't great on Android and worse still, SBC codec.

The audio quality is quite good and the noise isolation as well. It is good for general on-the-go usage. However, the mic is all over the place as it picks up noise from tens of meters away and hence is unusable in any environment really.

If you have a Samsung device then the Samsung Adaptive codec helps, otherwise you are stuck with AAC which isn't great on Android and worse still, SBC codec.
I'm actually not running a Samsung device but heard really good things about the buds+ so wanted to get that, plus the long battery life helps too. Won't use it too much for calling and since you say the audio quality is good, I'll probably get them soon.

I'm actually not running a Samsung device but heard really good things about the buds+ so wanted to get that, plus the long battery life helps too. Won't use it too much for calling and since you say the audio quality is good, I'll probably get them soon.
Check out this review if you are looking for any other options too. Really good review with a lot of effort put in to try and minimize subjective comments

Have you come across any that have decent calling quality.

Sony XM3 is your best bet if you are not tied down to any ecosystem. Tho big but all the big part stays out of ears and doesn’t touch them, SQ is unrivalled including the industry best ANC. It’s discounted all over as probably newer model is around the corner so time to grab it soon before it goes out of stock everywhere. It is launched here 2 years after global unveiling probably because of limited stock and huge demand.

It’s called KING for a reason and also being made in Malaysia as I think Sony has a flagship factory there where they make high end stuff only.

Last edited:
Have you come across any that have decent calling quality.
I had tried and returned the 75t before buying the Buds+ simply because all reviews pointed to them as having a good microphone setup. However, when I tried to take calls at my home, people on the other side could hear the street vendors several storeys below as well as the planes flying overhead. Also, I had a hard time using them on trains as the recipient couldn't clearly make out what I was saying.

Problem is most of the reviews have no idea about what a noisy environment is as their "noisy" environment is in reality far more silent than even the off-peak traffic over here (Mumbai). To be honest, it is difficult to say if any TWS microphone works well. Only visual proof that you regularly get is from people wearing Airpods or Airpods Pro in every other interview on news channels which don't sound too bad. However, don't think any TWS is anywhere close to the call quality that you get from decent wired earphones.

[mention]superczar [/mention] How are Jabra Elite 65t TWS for the 3240 rupees price I got them for? They are yet to arrive.
I can tell you as I own them. Got them for 4500 last year. Sound quality is there best aspect. Very good on that front. But generally uncomfortable for long periods due to their stubby fit. Can't change tips or they won't go in the case. Also, they let in a noise during calls if the backgrounds aee noisy. Good battery life too.

My main issue with them is lack of comfort.

Sony XM3 is your best bet if you are not tied down to any ecosystem. Tho big but all the big part stays out of ears and doesn’t touch them, SQ is unrivalled including the industry best ANC. It’s discounted all over as probably newer model is around the corner so time to grab it soon before it goes out of stock everywhere. It is launched here 2 years after global unveiling probably because of limited stock and huge demand.

It’s called KING for a reason and also being made in Malaysia as I think Sony has a flagship factory there where they make high end stuff only.
Someone is selling them used for 10k. The only issue is that they jut out too much. So i thought must be uncomfortable or prone to popping out. Will use them mainly with an two apple products - phone and laptop. When you say the "ecosystem". Does it mean that they don't work well with apple devices or did you mean that airpods connect more easily. I am not too fussy about ecosystem integration as long as the main requirements are met.

I can tell you as I own them. Got them for 4500 last year. Sound quality is there best aspect. Very good on that front. But generally uncomfortable for long periods due to their stubby fit. Can't change tips or they won't go in the case. Also, they let in a noise during calls if the backgrounds aee noisy. Good battery life too.

Someone is selling them used for 10k. The only issue is that they jut out too much. So i thought must be uncomfortable or prone to popping out. Will use them mainly with an two apple products - phone and laptop. When you say the "ecosystem". Does it mean that they don't work well with apple devices or did you mean that airpods connect more easily. I am not too fussy about ecosystem integration as long as the main requirements are met.
If you care about comfort more then the sound then imo nothing can even come close the AirPods Pro.

XM3 is working well with both my MacBook Air 2020 and iPhone 7. Although app sometime takes few seconds for it to recognise if it’s connected but I don’t think it as an issue.

I always go to Rtings for reviews whenever possible as they are basically a consumer group that purchase every product they review unlike most YouTube reviews that cannot afford to be extremely critical of any company.

I always go to Rtings for reviews whenever possible as they are basically a consumer group that purchase every product they review unlike most YouTube reviews that cannot afford to be extremely critical of any company.
I don’t trust this site especially for audio reviews as they always downrate the most popular recommendations and present their own alternate as better contender which the real users don’t agree with.

For example if you search best $200 headphones they will downrate the most user recommended headphone ie. HD6XX and instead recommend some random Philips model over it.

Just my 2 cents

I don’t trust this site especially for audio reviews as they always downrate the most popular recommendations and present their own alternate as better contender which the real users don’t agree with.

For example if you search best $200 headphones they will downrate the most user recommended headphone ie. HD6XX and instead recommend some random Philips model over it.

Just my 2 cents
Probably that happens because they go purely by objective measurements whereas audio can be quite subjective. Fit and perception of frequency response can differ a lot with ear structure and age.

Their TV review methodology is well established and the audio one is not to the same extent. I had differences over their reviews of keyboards as well.

But a good reference point as they follow the same methodology and measurements for all items and more importantly update old reviews when the methodology changes.

would prefer xm4 over xm3 if your budget allows.
You will have to go in to the future for that. :)

Sony does have a great naming scheme. WH-1000XM3 and WH-1000XM4 launched in August of 2018 and 2020. WF-1000XM3 launched in August of 2019, so WF-1000XM4 should turn up this August.

You will have to go in to the future for that. :)

Sony does have a great naming scheme. WH-1000XM3 and WH-1000XM4 launched in August of 2018 and 2020. WF-1000XM3 launched in August of 2019, so WF-1000XM4 should turn up this August.
If that's isn't confusing enough already, they also have a WI-1000XM2 which is a neckband :p

Nice naming isn't it

Back