Sony sells carbon fibre laptops without the CF

dipdude

Skilled
Quite funny if you didn't pay $500 extra for it

ONY LOOKS TO be on the verge of another PR mess, this time over its SZ160 series of laptops. The story, according to the forums on Notebook Review, (threads 1 and 2) show a picture of a very confused Sony, shipping products advertised and labelled incorrectly and one hand not knowing what the other is doing.

The claim is Sony advertises notebooks with carbon fibre, and ship notebooks that appear to be carbon coloured. Sometimes. Tech support appears equally clueless, sometimes offering refunds, other times denying the problem. If you take a look at the pictures in the first thread, you can clearly see the differences between the case types.

I have not touched a Sony laptop in years due to repeated bad experiences, but some people swear by them. It seems more people, including the reader who wrote in about this, swear at them.

He bought one expecting the real deal, but instead got a nice off-black plastic version. As he put it "Full disclaimer: I bought a SZ 160 Premium directly from the Sony Style website and I’m a bit po’ed at getting plastic instead of CF." I wonder how this will turn out in the end, quiet use of dollars, or lawyers and headlines? Place your bets now.

Back