Sony Ericsson W8: welcome the first Walkman phone on Android

pauldmps

Skilled
Source: Sony Ericsson W8: welcome the first Walkman phone on Android - Phone Arena

We've heard rumors about it, but it wasn't quite sure up until now – the Sony Ericsson W8 Walkman phone on Android is here. Sony Ericsson has obviously decided to try and continue its Walkman lineup years after the Walkman series walked their walk. The W8 was announced on the company's Indonesian website leaving some doubt over its global availability, but even if it reaches the North American market don't expect any technological revolutions.

The handset carries the design accents of an XPERIA X8 save for the addition of fresh colors, but under the hood there is a modest 600MHz processor which powers the almost ancient Android 2.1 garnished with Timescape. The W8 has a 3-inch capacitive touchscreen with resolution of 320 x 480. A 3.2-megapixel camera with no flash will serve your photography needs, but the W8 aims to bring the focus on music so we expect to see above average speakers in the handset.

2u4h8hx.jpg

It is weird that SE decided to go with Android 2.1 for this phone.

Seems like an experia X8 With music capabilities.
Will be overpriced for a music phone and will be just a fancy music player.
Why am i not surprised :mad:

That is how we all feel but people just want a cheap smartfone.

It is all about populating the market n sony seems to be targeting low-mid range market with this.

Think about people coming from symbian n older SE W phones..who hardly ever knew what an OS update is. This is a lucrative option for them...

-This Cryptic Message is brought to you from beyond The MAtrix :p:)

^^ But isn't Froyo de-facto standard for Android these days?

I agree that nobody cares about Gingerbread or later versions but would care about Froyo when they won't be able to install apps on SD card.

Yes....at last Sony walkman + android. We desperately needed a mid range android phone with good SQ. This may be the one.

If the price comes around 7 to 8k then this is sure gonna be a hit, but still Micromax A70 will be its enemy at that price range..

pauldmps said:
^^ But isn't Froyo de-facto standard for Android these days?

I agree that nobody cares about Gingerbread or later versions but would care about Froyo when they won't be able to install apps on SD card.
you are looking at it differently..

what i see is..

sony issues update for x10 and and clearly states that mini wont get any updates..

now sony has too many of those unsold and wants to rebadge them..

well what better than selling as good old W series?

They have created a reputation via W series and they surely wont mind leeching off it now for covering for unsold parts..

more over, if this gets froyo or was launched as froyo then many mini owners would be damn pissed at sony. Sony is very conscious about its brand image.

Even if it is 9K-10K and delivers good music, as Walkamen series did, I don't call it a fail.

There are no good music droids in range of 10-11k. SG3, LG O1, they are just okay when it comes to music.

and I agree with madnav

pauldmps said:
@madnav

So you're guessing that this phone is made up of parts of unsold X10 minis ?
x10 mini / x8

minor differences which can be changed..

both share the same base msm7227..

the new trend of entry level segment is to dump the previous series.

just like how we see in desktop gpus..everybody wins.

W series was about bringing IEM to cellphones..

they have killed it now for the entry level :/

pauldmps said:
Got it.

But still it does not makes sense to use an ancient OS.

Let's see how it fares.
nope it does not.

Also for them, it does not make sense to develop froyo for the same old platform. What they just have to do is add some of the W series bloatware to their existing release, update a few drivers for changed devices, offer fancy back panels...

If they wanted to spend time developing Froyo for that hardware then they could very well do so for x10 mini in the 1st place.

Now if this becomes hit and sells quantity then maybe they will provide froyo for this..

madnav said:
That is how we all feel but people just want a cheap smartfone.

It is all about populating the market n sony seems to be targeting low-mid range market with this.

Think about people coming from symbian n older SE W phones..who hardly ever knew what an OS update is. This is a lucrative option for them...

-This Cryptic Message is brought to you from beyond The MAtrix :p:)
so you think sony is gonna price this cheap..

here's my reply.. LOL

comp@ddict said:
so you think sony is gonna price this cheap..

here's my reply.. LOL
cheaper than current pricing of x8 n x10 mini.

x10 mini is still 10-11k on shelf.. pure crap if you honestly compare with competition..

Sony Ericsson W8 vs. Sony Ericsson XPERIA X8 - GSMArena.com

Its a X8 with a different case (Black front and color back panel instead of white of X8)

168MB RAM. Seriously! Hope they price it in the ~8k range and provide a good pair of earphones and a decent DAC for music quality. Else Phail!
If priced higher than this people who want a droid music phone are better off with something else as this would be one of the most anemic droids if not the most when it hits the store shelves :p

Back