Someone Filed an appeal To Google For my Google / Mail Account.

dissel

Skilled
Hello Experienced Members of TE

As the title suggests Someone named "Adwoa Nyamekye" has since July 18 started making an iCloud account with iPhone XS Max, then try to verify the ID by sending OTP for Apple ID. After that, he started to Google Verfication Code but failed - Upto these it is common but now he goes to Google and files an Account restoration appeal. This is new to me - What will happen now?

My Account is an Extra Gmail A/C which I opened in 2007 and its two-factor verification is enabled, Below are screenshots of the above.

Screenshot 2023-07-31 131630.png

Screenshot 2023-07-31 131722.png

Screenshot 2023-07-31 131802.png

I have not seen this happen before, but I don't think anything will come of it, because Google will see that the email address is in use by you in India and possibly deny the other person access to restore the account.
separately you can directly contact Google as well, reference that ticket and let them know that someone is trying to gain access to your account.

Also contact Apple and do the same, let them know someone has used your email address to create an Apple ID

@dissel Looks like a full blown attempt to get that account.
Other than contacting both Apple & Google as suggested above, I'll say do a full security check and reset the password for both of the accounts.
Check the accounts on where are they signed in, logout from any suspicious places or places you're unsure of.
Also, keep a lookout for phishing emails, since this attack vector failed, they may attempt to send phishing emails which make it seem like your account was actually compromised and in the heat of the moment you might end up clicking something you should not have.

Thanks for the reply - As of now didn't do anything thinking if all of this goes away but now another email arrived which is below. Contacting Google means posting in the Google Community forum Right ?

Now I am afraid, is this a new way to scam people once I post the ticket number at Google Community Forum the scammer may track me? The Emails look very genuine though...

Screenshot 2023-07-31 224027.png

@dissel Looks like a full blown attempt to get that account.
Other than contacting both Apple & Google as suggested above, I'll say do a full security check and reset the password for both of the accounts.
Check the accounts on where are they signed in, logout from any suspicious places or places you're unsure of.
Also, keep a lookout for phishing emails, since this attack vector failed, they may attempt to send phishing emails which make it seem like your account was actually compromised and in the heat of the moment you might end up clicking something you should not have.

Thank You for the reply -

Checked and All the devices are mine and all are behind Private WiFi Network - No Public Hotspot at all.

Screenshot 2023-07-31 230532.png

Last edited:
Change your password ASAP.

Also, in the emails from Apple, is there any link to contact them or report to them it wasn't you?

Contacting Google doesn't mean posting in the Community - the communities are for the most part not monitored by Google personnel. With the case ID also, it's not likely for anyone to track you or anything, and even within Google unless someone is on the Accounts team they cannot view any information about the case.

Thank You all - for your valuable input and suggestion - So far changed my Password, Recovery Mail ID and Recovery Phone Number too. Didn't contact anywhere. Also don't know how to directly contact Google, Thanks @demon_slayer for the Reddit Post & Google Community Post - Little Relief, I Hope this thing stops here.

As per my primary Gmail ID (which I opened during Gmail Invitation Only Days) -

- I'm the chairperson of lots of Fundraiser Charities etc
- I booked Lots of Flats / Apartments in several cities in India every time with a Different Wife
- Lots of Bank Accounts with Credit Card Payments / Bills
- Also I own probably a Light Wight Engineering Industry / Farm / Factory - Not sure though

But this time it is completely New to me.

Change your password ASAP.

Also, in the emails from Apple, is there any link to contact them or report to them it wasn't you?

There is no report link option - According to Apple Visit Apple ID website an immediately change your password ASAP - But in my case None of my Apple ID link to this Gmail Account.

Last edited:
Back