Some shopping for my Rebel T2i, help me

Rahul++

SuperUser
Skilled
Hello,

I purchased my very first DSLR i.e. Canon 550D few days back :D (There's show off thread ovbiously). I was going to buy some Lens after I save some money for it. But it seems god listened me.

I got money in my Paypal (~ $450) for some android lessens I've taught to one musician from Sweden.

Now, I've Rs. 19,300 in my pocket. I would like to buy some Lens and other accessories for my camera.

Here is my choice -

Canon 50mm f1.8 - ~5.1k

Canon 55-250mm IS - ~11.5k

One spare battery - ~1k

Some filters, Lens hood - ~1.5k

Is it a good buy?

What are the most needed things to get for my camera in 19.3k. Help me guys ;)

Thanks,

Rahul

All are perfect choices. Buy em.

Although check smarshoppers, the 250mm is for ~11k. i think. dunno shipping is extra though.

lens hood??. The 55-250 comes with its own one. getting one for the 50mm is not that crucial though.

Buy Canon 50mm f1.8 w/o thinking twice..Good lens although you won't like its built quality

Apart from the list you mentioned you can buy a nice bag to carry your camera and lenses safely...

50mm f/1.8 - Must buy... dont need to think twice... but check the price.. its available for ~4.75k in few shops..

50-250mm IS - another good lens.. could surely go for it..

Extra battery - do you really need?? in initial days it feel like u badly need extra one, but later feels like u actually dont take 400+ shots without having time for charge it enough..

But I dont know your situation...so cant really say.. if needed... go for a good one, better to get original canon one

Filter, hood - which filters, which company... these are the two imp question to be asked before purchase... for eg. a cheap UV filter is a useless buy and actually degrades the image quality to much extent

^^ Please recommend some must have filters.. I'm as interested as the OP in buying some accessories for my 550D.

^^ CPL filter is not really necessary but a good to use tool since its difficult to replicate the same in photoshop.

Same goes for a ND and GND filter.

Other filters like colour filters, star filters etc can be replicated easily in photoshop.

logistopath said:
^^ Please recommend some must have filters.. I'm as interested as the OP in buying some accessories for my 550D.

I would say wait few more months before u any filters..

You can add those effect in photoshop

Good uv filter is must....

Once you master ur dslr then go for filters

gaganjain said:
I would say wait few more months before u any filters..

You can add those effect in photoshop

Good uv filter is must....

Once you master ur dslr then go for filters

Hello gagan,

I would like to question why you said UV filter (good one) is must...

are you saying with respect to the fact that UV filter helps in protecting the front element of the lens from dust and scratches, or any technical reason behind it...

AFAIK importance of UV filter had reduced in digital in comparison to film until and unless you are shooting at a very high altitude...

If it is wrt protection against dust, I wont prefer to comment.. :p Quite a controversial topic with varieties of views.. :S

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

BF1983 said:
^^ CPL filter is not really necessary but a good to use tool since its difficult to replicate the same in photoshop.

Same goes for a ND and GND filter.

Other filters like colour filters, star filters etc can be replicated easily in photoshop.

Agree with Brendon to quite an extent.

Color filters seems to loose their grip with fading of film era :p...

CPL is really a good filter to buy... atleast to me.. gives a nice finish to the photo which is hard to obtain in PS..

some ppl are strongly against CPL as it gives uneaven brightness/saturation to the sky... but i dont find it enough reason to neglect the beauty of CPL

GND and ND are more like job oriented filters.. If you belong to some specific genre like landscape etc, you may need them more often..

What I think is they couldnt be suggested universally but are quite specific with needs...

Have anybody tried cheap filters, like the ND8 filter which comes for 400bucks?
Well cheap UV filter affect image quality, but ND filters are meant to block light and me think it will be good to try cheap ND filters.

@Rahul-
Bugger, you are such a show-off. :p
Shanya, Rebel T2i kay mhantos, 550D mhan re, ugach nahi te kautuk.

Sudarshan_SMD said:
Have anybody tried cheap filters, like the ND8 filter which comes for 400bucks?

Well cheap UV filter affect image quality, but ND filters are meant to block light and me think it will be good to try cheap ND filters.
The cheap Filter act as protecting cover only.Tried a cheap Rs300 filter at a shop,there was hardly any difference in quality of image with the filter attached.

get the battery, lens hoods, and eye piece covers from dealextreme.all should cost less than what you will get anywhere else. battery is < 500rs. you can go for a battery grip also that fits below the camera.

lenses you need to see your use and decide.

(yes i have a t2i also, and i am getting a 55-250 & maybe a 10-22 lens, wish i had money for spending on a L lens already...)

Hi,
I'd advise buying stuff, only when you feel something is holding your type of shooting. Get the 50mm f1.8 for sure, this would definitely improve the framing and perspective in photos. Get the 55-250 only when you feel that you're missing shots without the reach. May I suggest a good Sturdy Tripod, against the extra battery and lens hood/filters. ND8 blocks only 3 stops of light, I don't think you would really need that. GND effect can be acheived easily in Adobe Lightroom. Moreover, all your lenses will have a rotating front element and it's a bit of pain to adjust your CPL and GND filter after focussing the shot.
Thanks,
Mathi

The extra battery isn't a necessity. Although the batt grip could come in hadny. I've filled taken 400+ photos (daytime, without flash obviously) and still had some punch left.
Regarding the filters, I dunno about the cheap stuff available but I went in for Canons filters itself.. ND8+UV+CPL altogether came up to $100 on bhphotovideo

Cheap filters available will cause problems like CA and flare in your photos. You wont notice in most photos but used outdoors and you can face a lot of problems.

Cheap filters, wont get you results. Infact IQ will deteriorate a bit, photography is one field where quality matters a lot. I have got a Marumi CPL filter for 2.3k (OEM is the same as more expensive HOYA). Its a nice start, I got some pretty good results with it:

Brilliant twilight!! by Sahil Udani, on Flickr
My next purchase is going to be Cokin GND filter + holder..

Back