some doubts regarding eyesight

Rave

ex-Mod
well i got those 3d glasses sometime back and tried em on today and i cant see anything 3d, while everyone around me can

so was wondering whats happening, can anyone care to explain, i do have -1 and -1.25 in my left and right eye respectively and also have cylindrical vision, have no idea what any of it means though :p

also noticed one thing today, that white color looks somewhat bluish with my left eye while it looks perfectly white with my right eye, should i close either of my eye and check. havent noticed any other color yet though but some explanation will help. Am most concerned about will I be able to watch those 3d videos or not, if i cant, i won bother hehe

ive worn the 3d glasses over my prescription specs as well but doesnt do anything,

EDIT: Would wearing contacts help? :p

can the resident docs of TE shed some light here?

TIA.

forget about it.

All you will do is end up getting headache.

My father and cousin both cant see 3D movies in 3D. Both have spectacles and have cylinder with different axis for both eyes.

The 3D glasses you bought simply is made for avg vision, so people with specs and different cylinder and axis do have problem with them.

Shripad said:
forget about it.

All you will do is end up getting headache.

My father and cousin both cant see 3D movies in 3D. Both have spectacles and have cylinder with different axis for both eyes.

The 3D glasses you bought simply is made for avg vision, so people with specs and different cylinder and axis do have problem with them.

wearing contacts which would fix the cylindrical vision help?

Rave said:
EDIT: Would wearing contacts help? :p

Technically I dont see a reason why you should not be able to watch 3d after wearing contacts .. but take it with a BAG of salt .. as i dont know a penny about optics.

@Rave

I too have specs number in the same range as you only and i was able to clearly see 3D stuff and i did not wear the glasses over my specs but directly. Had been to see a 3D/4D movie just couple of months back.

@Rave

AFAIK there should not be any problem to anyone who wears spectacles, cylindrical errors or not. But if you are unable to use 3D glasses, then I would suggest that you do not try at all.

That will only lead to more stress on your ocular muscles, which can lead to further deterioration in eyesight.

Many people have reported headahces and blurring of vision while using 3D glasses. Though that usually doesn't mean anything, it does, however, mean that those people cannot easily use 3D glasses. You may be one of them. Sorry for that man. :(

You say that you see white with a bluish tinge? If this is happening while wearing your regular glasses, then you definitely need to see your Ophthalmologist.

Oh and wearing contacts may or may not help you. Its an open case mate. Sorry for the bad news, but you'll have to live with it.

Are these the one that are couloured red in one and blue in the other? You mentioned that white looks somewhat bluish with one eye while the other looks normal. Try checking yourself for colour blindness. Hell, there's even a test for it on Facebook I think. :D

Wearing above Glasses wont help you as your focus of vision will be different you will miss the 3D effects.

With contact lenses it will be much better but are you contact lenses torric one, mean with axis and all those then you can get perfect 3D vision. other wise it will be plain jane image only.

Now regarding bluish vision in one eye, you need to check colour vision of your eyes.

you can take primary screening :
here 1
here 2

Her is some info for you Color vision test: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

remember these online tests dont replace the evaluation by an ophthalmologist as monitor caliberation error can jeopardise results.

Consult your ophthalmoliogist before entering in to some remedies. :D

feel free to inquire again.

I do have contacts which correct the axis thing, havent tried viewing it

and about the color difference i guess that was because of wearing those damned 3d glasses for so long and trying to view things in 3d, a good night's rest and i see everything as it should be

i guess ill try it with the contacts and see

3D Vision is basically related to a phenomenon called Stereopsis. This process is very important for depth perception. People with Ocular disorders like Squint or Higher Refractive Errors are less likely to have proper Stereopsis (since it requires binocularly balanced axes and equally perceived image size from both eyes). Color Vision also plays a vital role in Stereopsis. Hence it would be better if you can get your eyes tested by an Ophthal (Neuro-ophthal to be precise) to get a proper answer for your problem.

Since you are from Hyderabd, I would suggest you to visit L.V.Prasad Eye Institute(one of the best Eye Research Institute in South Asia) at Banjara Hills for a opinion if possible.

All the best :)

I agree with all that Medapal said.. yes have yourself checked for color issues you may be mildly color blind in a particular spectrum. Seeing clearly though, is important for the 3D effect and Astigmatic or Toric contacts(that correct your astigmatism/cylinder) will be clearer than a standard contact.

Renegade said:
And I think contact lenses dont compensate for cylindrical power, only spherical.

ive been wearing soft toric lenses for years. at the moment the cylinderical power in my eyes is -4.5 each, which doesn't include spherical power, and i still have various contact lens options.

i feel that you should use contact lenses for eye sight rectification.after that you can put your 3d glasses.
i guess by changing the position of the glasses you can rectify the problem of split color.

I have cylindricals and I can see 3d movies without trouble. I wear contacts. Most of the time, they add up your spherical and cylindrical and arrive at a cumulative lens power. Soft lens are very comfortable, you wont even feel it.

PS: When I want to, I can prevent myself from seeing 3d imagery even with 3d glasses. Sometimes I lose focus and dont see 3d, then I relax my eyes and its all fine. I guess that goes for anyone.

I think the real problem would be if you see 3d without 3d glasses :p

Btw, cant you see 3d even at the movie halls? Have you tried any 3d movies at all at the theatres?

vij said:
Most of the time, they add up your spherical and cylindrical and arrive at a cumulative lens power. Soft lens are very comfortable, you wont even feel it.

Not related to 3D, but that isnt the best way to go about it. Cylindrical power means we have Astigmatism, which means we cannot see sharp images at certain angles. So added up power does not compensate for your astigmatism. I wonder if it makes it worse in the long run.

Renegade said:
Not related to 3D, but that isnt the best way to go about it. Cylindrical power means we have Astigmatism, which means we cannot see sharp images at certain angles. So added up power does not compensate for your astigmatism. I wonder if it makes it worse in the long run.

true, adding up the power is not the right way. one needs toric lenses for proper vision and they are quite easily available. you can get away with very low astigmatism, but if it's high then the only option is toric lenses.

Renegade said:

Since the lens are sticking to the eyes, the astigmatism defect isnt as pronounced.. It obviously isnt perfect way, but suffices in lot of cases.

Between, i hv not gone for checkups for 6 years because I haven't noticed any vision deterioration. Are torric lens a recent development? Also, are torric lenses like soft lens or are they semi-soft?

Toric lenses have been around for a few years now. I've been using them for around 5 years. they are like regular soft lenses, except, they don't rotate in the eye like regular lenses and they are made to stick to a particular axis. However, if the astigmatism is very high, then you require prescription toric lenses which are more expenses and might need to be ordered from abroad by your optician (like in my case). Otherwise, the only other option is RGP lenses which are not very easy to wear.

Back