CPU/Mobo [SOLVED] Haswell Refresh or Broadwell

dez

Disciple
Backstory:

I'm currently looking at the Haswell Refresh Lineup, specifically the i5 (suitable for gaming) and the i7(can handle both my work and gaming requirements) non-K versions as of now.

I'll be dual-booting into OS X(work) and Windows (Gaming) via two separate drives.

I have the following options for MoBos.
1. Asus Maximus VII Ranger
2. Asus Z97 A

Ram: 8x2 DDR3 Corsair Vengeance.

So that's the stuff I need to buy. However, I was wondering if I should just wait it out and get the broadwell chip instead. Although, I'm not sure how long the wait will be, since my current Sandybridge CPU is being a bottleneck in my workload.

Thoughts, suggestions, recommendations?

Thanks and cheers!

PS: sorry to get you'll worked up on a Monday morning, haha! But this might kick you out off your weekend mood. Just maybe...

An update on the RAM: I'm confused between the following. Now, given this system has a dual-purpose, should I even be considering the options of DIMMs clocked above 1600-1800Mhz? Thoughts?

1. Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) 1866Mhz http://www.primeabgb.com/corsair-16gb-ram-ddr3-1866mhz-dual-channel-kit.html
2. Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8) 2133Mhz http://www.primeabgb.com/corsair-vengeance-pro-series-16gb-cmy16gx3m2a2133c11r-ram.html
3. Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) 1866Mhz *same as 1, but in red accent* http://www.primeabgb.com/corsair-vengeance-16gb-memory-kit-cmz16gx3m2a1866c10r.html
4. Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) 1600Mhz http://www.primeabgb.com/corsair-vengeance-cmz16gx3m2a1600c10r-16gb-ddr3-ram.html
5. Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8) 1600Mhz http://www.primeabgb.com/corsair-vengeance-16gb-1600mhz-ram-cmy16gx3m2a1600c9r.html

TBH, I don't know much about SPD Latency and how it affects things yet, so please suggest something that'll fit the purpose of this system. Also worth noting will be compatibility with the aforementioned MoBos is checked and A-OK.

Check your motherboard support page for RAM specifications .... for example MSI lists tested higher frequency RAM for their motherboards .
1866 Mhz is the sweet spot , its not worth to go for 2133 or higher unless you are someone participating in an overclocking tournament . (1600Mhz is enough too,supported RAM frequencies from intel side for 4690 is 1600Mhz only)

For the CPU , i5 4690 is enough , but i would suggest you to get the K version (so that you can overclock it later when more juice is reqyired ) , and btw 4.6 GHZ is the sweet safe spot for i5 4690k with a 3-4k CPU cooler and max 65 degrees at full load .
Even if you consider 4690 , its more than enough .

Could you describe *work* , because if its more heavy , i7 is the way to go (but not worth the extra money) .

I just got the i5 4690K , and its sweet , for the time being i'm waiting for the cooler so disabled turbo boost .
And at full load it doesn't go above 55 degrees even at stock cooler and runs at 30-35 degrees at idle stock cooler ! (Bangalore)

Hey Rajesh, thanks for the quick tid-bits. Really good to have that info in the tool belt. My work involves a lot of Photoshop and Programming (neither are compute intensive workloads, thus the non K versions, but you do make a good point).

I've been told the same about the RAM before. I'll go with a 1866Mhz dual channel kit.

Curious as to what cooler you're getting? I've ordered the H100i. I've started a build log under the Overclocking and Modding Sub-Forum. Perhaps you could check it out and post your suggestions or critiques there as well? Thanks for helping out!

PS: I'm hoping for similar temperatures, since both BLR and PNQ have similar weather patterns and temperatures round the year.

Hey Rajesh, thanks for the quick tid-bits. Really good to have that info in the tool belt. My work involves a lot of Photoshop and Programming (neither are compute intensive workloads, thus the non K versions, but you do make a good point).

I've been told the same about the RAM before. I'll go with a 1866Mhz dual channel kit.

Curious as to what cooler you're getting? I've ordered the H100i. I've started a build log under the Overclocking and Modding Sub-Forum. Perhaps you could check it out and post your suggestions or critiques there as well? Thanks for helping out!

PS: I'm hoping for similar temperatures, since both BLR and PNQ have similar weather patterns and temperatures round the year.

Planning to go with hyper 212 evo , as it will be enough for my gaming needs .
If required , later will go with noctua nh-d15 (6.8k) . I prefer air coolers than liquid ones . (this beats h100i)

I'm sure it does, but I plan to mod the H100i in the near future and get my GPU in the loop as well.

I'm sure it does, but I plan to mod the H100i in the near future and get my GPU in the loop as well.

I've heard of liquid leakage from Corsair liquid coolers (less than 1%) which destroyed the users pc . However , Corsair did replace all of the pc components for them (despite they don't cover this in warranty) .

Be careful with modding then !

Nothing to worry about , it has happened only in extremely rare cases .

Yes, I've read about those. People do weird stuff with their components without following any of the safety protocols. One of those "know it all dudes".

I take my own sweet merry time when working on such stuff. Nonetheless, I've been warned. :)

Broadwell desktop parts have been delayed to 2H 2015 so that was a no-brainer if you couldn't wait.
Wasn't that more like Jan 2015? :p Anywho, good I went ahead with the purchase. 1 Year would have set me back a lot! Is this still related to the manufacturing issue?

Dunno man pushed back to around July 2015 for no clear reason, too many haswell's in the market maybe plus no competition from AMD. My next upgrade was planned for skylake but this is gonna delay it more and i might end up with a haswell refresh myself.
Congrats on your purchase thg, you can always upgrade to Broadwell if you've bought a 9 series board.

Dunno man pushed back to around July 2015 for no clear reason, too many haswell's in the market maybe plus no competition from AMD. My next upgrade was planned for skylake but this is gonna delay it more and i might end up with a haswell refresh myself.
Congrats on your purchase thg, you can always upgrade to Broadwell if you've bought a 9 series board.

Yeah, quite obscure this one.
Anyway, thanks. You can actually follow the build log here > https://www.techenclave.com/community/index.php?threads/Build-Log-:-The-++Shad0wKnight++.167561/

Back