Storage Solutions Solid Snake-Oil Storage: This SSD Is Aimed at Audiophiles

buzz88

Disciple
I can't believe that people fall for such gimmicky marketing.

Check out this SSD:

One of the comments on Reddit:

"I love that audiophiles still can't figure out the difference between digital and analog data."

I often feel bamboozled when I see cables and accessories being sold/recommended way over their normal market prices for "audiophile" features which would make no difference in blind tests and yet, they are rampant in the community.

Well .. no wonder the so called audiophiles swear by the real snake oil -
Perhaps this could be converted to a snake oil thread.

I am on Hifivision and put this thread there too for discussion. The replies are not unexpected.

Last edited:
TLC mode: It sounds like background music, no features and powerless, everything is flattened, lacks extension and density.

pSLC mode: There is a special natural feeling, it becomes more smooth and calm, the thickness is slightly increased, and overall it is more resistant to hearing but still slightly dry."

Some next level hearing these guys have lol.

I am on hifivision too and put this thread there too for discussion. The replies are not unexpected.

I try avoid posting on this topic on Hifivision but this one was too far-fetched to resist :dead:

While on the topic, here is another product that is at least as audiophool targeted as this one if not more

Very surprising replies on HiFiVision.
Don’t want to get into argument there but ssd data will need to got thru ram & cpu before HDMI/inbuilt DAC. Introduction of noise from SSD sounds nonsensical to me.

But the guys on there seem pretty confident about their claims

It's all a bunch of computer illiterate morons on HFV. Posted my rebuttal there.

SSD can't introduce noise as it is not mechanical.

It's all a bunch of computer illiterate morons on HFV. Posted my rebuttal there.

A+ explanation.

There may be some truth to the claims though. It is possible that power leak on ssd data line can find its way onto DAC depending on motherboard design. However this is a highly unlikely scenario and wouldn’t really impact digital outputs such as HDMI . Furthermore it’ll likely be the power supply at fault rather than the SSD in such situations.

Having said that, this particular ssd definitely is “snake oil”

Last edited:

they can,but so do lot of computer things and often times these things interfere with rf and wireless,the above product is snake oil but yes sometimes when you are doing audio based work one needs everythign to be very very quiet. Although if your computer has some electronic coil noise one should use those sound dampening cases like the ones bequiet makes

they can,but so do lot of computer things and often times these things interfere with rf and wireless,the above product is snake oil but yes sometimes when you are doing audio based work one needs everythign to be very very quiet. Although if your computer has some electronic coil noise one should use those sound dampening cases like the ones bequiet makes
Most issues are due to a poor power supply causing surges or drops on cross loads. Most good quality PSUs don't have this issue at all.

If you really want the best audio playback pc, get a low power cpu (5-10w) in itx factor and feed it with a decent quality linear psu. My personal experience is that 95% of noise issues will be gone. Another major benefit I have gotten is with a USB reclocker at the USB input of the DAC that is again fed by a linear power supply.

I once made a post on head-fi and along with m main issue I asked if there is 'physical' evidence that such a thingn which costs 10k+ makes a difference . I was told 'I will never be able to enjoy headphones'

Most issues are due to a poor power supply causing surges or drops on cross loads. Most good quality PSUs don't have this issue at all.

If you really want the best audio playback pc, get a low power cpu (5-10w) in itx factor and feed it with a decent quality linear psu. My personal experience is that 95% of noise issues will be gone. Another major benefit I have gotten is with a USB reclocker at the USB input of the DAC that is again fed by a linear power supply.
actually motherboards that use shit quality chipsets can generate these issues too,you never know what bits effect what.

Audiophiles really do crazy things. I remember once i was selling an old msi audio card i had gotten with a motherboard and a buyer asked me if the soundcard has SPDIF(Optical). My sound card had SPDIF out but only on the Copper wire way. I explained that digital signal is digital, just 1s and 0s. It wont affect audio but he swore by optical audio and i learnt that all speakers he used had optical fibre wires for connection.

Man the biggest problem with my digital music playback is often the fan noise from my desktop. It just raises the literal noise floor (not digital). Its funny to see people tie themselves into knots trying to reason about the slightest of possibility of digital noise from 'poorly designed' SSDs. If I could be in a position where I'm wondering if I should get an audiophile ssd, I assume I'm doing pretty well, audio setup wise.

Back