Sold my PS3 should I buy a PS4 or a PC?? Partial analysis inside!!

sanjiv

Disciple
I had sold my PS3 long time back when pre orders for the PS4 had just kicked up and I had registered my preorder with GAME4U but the price of PS4 really got to me.

After selling my PS3 and its games I have around Rs.22,000 from the sale and any extra money will have to come out of my pocket. Since the PS4 release I had put together a PC config on paper that seems good for 1080p gaming and its the moment of truth should I go ahead and assemble a new PC or should I just get a PS4.

It also has to be noted that PC games are cheaper not to mention Steam provides VFM deals.

Lets get to the config and prices:

Amd FX 8320 - 9700\-
Gigabyte GA-78LMT - 4250\-
Seasonic SS-750JS - 6150\-
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8 GB - 5250\-
MSI R9 270X HAWK - 17800\-
Seagate 2TB - 5710\-

PC Total Rs.48860\-

Now for the PS4 as all know the base price is Rs.40,000 but as I have seen first hand the 500GB is to less to install several games, COD ghosts eats up around 40-50GB in my friends PS4 and with patches it might go up even more. I have not yet taken the preorder amount from GAME4U and after discussing the same with them I got a call from their Delhi office and had a talk with Mr.Prakesh who game me an option to upgrade the HDD to a 1.5TB HDD for an extra Rs.7000 and taking the old 500GB HDD. So in effect the PS4 with 1.5TB would cost 47,000 with the ability to install around 15 games together.

PS4 with 1.5TB - 47000\-

If I have left any points do let me know but it sure is hard to decide among the two PS4 and PC both have their plus and negatives.

If you don't want to play PSx exclusive games, get a PC eyes closed.

Consoles = cheaper hardware + expensive software + limited utility
PC = hardware at any price you want + cheaper games + Steam sale + wide utility area

If you are interested in PC, we can discuss the config also t mention that your config is not at all good.

I suggest going the PC way for now. If you want to get PS4, wait for a price revision on both the console and games in about 6 months or so.

Normally I'd suggest the console, but PS4 games in India are outrageously priced, if you factor in the cost of games, PC seems like the better proposition.

PC all the way. PS4 at 40k is ridiculously over-priced and the games are even more-so. Also, with a few SKUs having quite a bunch of issues, it's best to hold off your purchase for now.

Had a talk with GAME4U the Rs.47,000 is confirmed for PS4 with 1.5TB and I have decided to cancel the preorder. I am going with the PC option and ordering items today online furthermore I am also buying a better case so thinking about Cosmos SE.

Had a talk with GAME4U the Rs.47,000 is confirmed for PS4 with 1.5TB and I have decided to cancel the preorder. I am going with the PC option and ordering items today online furthermore I am also buying a better case so thinking about Cosmos SE.

I've mentioned this before and I'm mentioning this again: the config you have mentioned in the first post is not at all good. Better fill up the questionnaire to bet suggestions.

I have decided to cancel the preorder. I am going with the PC option and ordering items today online furthermore I am also buying a better case so thinking about Cosmos SE.

I think you made the right decision. I didn't post anything earlier because I'm a "PC only" gamer so any opinion I would have given you on the subject would have been highly biased. :)

In any case, PC's aren't simply "dedicated gaming machines" like consoles. They are much more versatile, easier to upgrade and offer greater value in terms of utility.

Would also recommend what harshilsharma said and advise you to post your PC budget in the relevant thread so that TE members can help you get the best "bang for buck" PC within your budget.

You are always free to ignore the advice you receive in your replies to such a thread but on the other hand, you may just find some decent suggestions as well.

You have little to lose apart from maybe a day or two in terms of time spent viewing relevant replies and suggestions...

Thanks for the replay everyone the reason I am going with PC is the easier upgrade and it being better VFM. I have already ordered the games COD, NFS R and BF4 from flipkart.

I've mentioned this before and I'm mentioning this again: the config you have mentioned in the first post is not at all good. Better fill up the questionnaire to bet suggestions.

I am chosen the 8 core AMD processor on purpose since the PS4 and Xbox one have eight core CPUs based on a similar structure. As for the Steamroller its performance is not hugely different from Piledriver here I am talking about Kaveri's performance. As for Intel parts the only CPU to really consider is the 8 thread one and that means 4770K another reason for the 8320 is that its unlocked and I can overclock it.

Taking an example of BF4 here is 4770k vs 8350 at different speeds:

http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/734/bench/CPU_03.png

http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/734/bench/CPU_02.png

Here is the spread of load on 8 threads:

http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/htt...est_GPU-Action-Battlefield_4-test-bf4_amd.jpg

So other than the high power consumption these processors have less of a negative in newer games like BF4. As for the Intel alternative I would look at 4770k but I had a 3770 based system which I assembled 2 year back (review) and as great as that was I now want something more VFM than a 4770k based system.

^ Dude, CPU is not the only component if that list and neither I've explicitly mentioned the processor. 8320 is fine, but that motherboard is not at all good for a chip with such high TDP. Also, you don't need a 750 W PSU as it will be a waste.

^ Dude, CPU is not the only component if that list and neither I've explicitly mentioned the processor. 8320 is fine, but that motherboard is not at all good for a chip with such high TDP. Also, you don't need a 750 W PSU as it will be a waste.

Oh ya I am open to other mobo's searching for VFM mobo since yesterday and ASRock 970 Pro2@ 4k /MSI 970A-G46@ 6k seem great and their reviews are also good but I am still searching that is part of the reason why I am still considering a 4770k + Z87.

Back