Software to learn SQL?

rshri

Adept
Nov 14, 2006
I wish to polish my SQL and PL/SQL skills. Can I practice over MS Office Access? I want to refrain from install MS SQL Server. It will be too heavy for my PC. Is there any other software alternative?

rshri

Adept
Nov 14, 2006
Just checked the MySQL download. Should I download the Community Server? Does it has a GUI for SQL practicing?

asingh

Staff member
Super Mod
Jun 13, 2009
New Delhi
rshri said:
I wish to polish my SQL and PL/SQL skills. Can I practice over MS Office Access? I want to refrain from install MS SQL Server. It will be too heavy for my PC. Is there any other software alternative?

Yes, you can practice SQL 'logic' on MS Access. You can create different types of queries using the GUI (keep them small initially), and then click on the SQL view icon. It will how you how the SQL syntax looks. Using this software you will not be able to try out SP,T-SQL, or SQL server functionality. Good tool to build SQL basics -- Select, delete, insert , update. Though remember after 2GB you will start to see latency.

dpacmittal

Disciple
May 10, 2009
Just install SQLite. Although it lacks some features, it is pretty good for practicing. If you want all the features, look into MySQL or PostgreSQL.