Storage Solutions So WD is dumping all their Green HDD in India?

Panda

Disciple
So last month I was looking to buy a WD 1TB Blue HDD, particularly the WD10EZEX model.

I'm from Chennai and I visited lots of shops. But to my surprise, all they have are green models and in some shops they tried to convince me that green are better than blue models. :mad:

In 2 leading shops, they said that they are not receiving any stocks of blue models anymore and they won't be getting any more stocks.

But blue HDD are available in online shops like flipkart, snapdeal, amazon etc.

So running out of options, I got the HDD from Flipkart for 4500₹ but the MRP on the HDD cover says 4300₹.

Now I'm not sure if blue HDD are not available only in Chennai or this is the case all over India. :confused:

If this is the case all over India, then its sure that WD is using India to dump their green HDD onto ignorant builders which is not fair IMHO.

This has been happening for quite a while. The problem is the WD Blue series tops out at 1TB, while the Green goes all the way to 6TB. So naturally, considering the broader range of capacities, WD India appears to be focusing only on the Green series. Those looking for performance will end up having to get a WD Black.

You can complain to flipkart regarding the mishap on the price you paid and on the label.
However for the Blue series, do wait till the prices drop and snatch it. I have done it from time to time.

This has been happening for quite a while. The problem is the WD Blue series tops out at 1TB, while the Green goes all the way to 6TB. So naturally, considering the broader range of capacities, WD India appears to be focusing only on the Green series. Those looking for performance will end up having to get a WD Black.

Oh, so WD is definitely dumping those green HDD in India.

You can complain to flipkart regarding the mishap on the price you paid and on the label.
However for the Blue series, do wait till the prices drop and snatch it. I have done it from time to time.

I emailed them but the reply was someone who does not even know to read & understand English properly. The reply was like :banghead:

You have been charged only 4500₹ as it appears on the product page and the product was successfully delivered to you

So I just gave up and didn't bother to waste time as it was only 200₹.

Pick up the Purple if you can't get a green. Fantastic as a dump drive with 3 year warranty. I'm running 3 of them in my file server and even though they are designed for surveillance, they work just fine as dump drives. The price too is marginally more than green.

Oh, so WD is definitely dumping those green HDD in India.

I emailed them but the reply was someone who does not even know to read & understand English properly. The reply was like :banghead:

So I just gave up and didn't bother to waste time as it was only 200₹.

Don't think it is just Rs 200, it should not be sold more or equal to MRP sometimes. Please send a letter by Registered Post with Acknowledgement to Flipkart head Office, they will refund you that.

I will never have this happen to me, It's up to you decide. I also reside in Chennai. If anything needed can help on that (I am not a lawyer)

1) a guy at nehru place told me that they put low MRP stickers deliberately to save on taxes etc.
2) prices of computer electronics follow the same principle as of real estate. MRP stickers are just for the sake of it.
3) but you should write to flipkart. as an intermediary, they shouldn't have let this happen.

Hmmm...I don't remember buying a single electronic device on it's MRP lol
Kindly mention the link and the seller you purchased it from.It was probably NOT WS RETAIL.
There's usually at least a minimum of 10% discount on everything because the value of electronics decrease exponentially with time.

For those who can't find it :
I'm a WD10EZEX user myself so I know how you feel when you can't find one and have to settle for a WD Green.
Anyway,i checked out a few online shops - you can actually import the same drive from Newegg or Amazon - will cost about 1-1.5K extra but worth it IMHO or just go for WD Black.
Amazon.in has one for 4.5k from 6-7 sellers so this should be a good option.

Don't think it is just Rs 200, it should not be sold more or equal to MRP sometimes. Please send a letter by Registered Post with Acknowledgement to Flipkart head Office, they will refund you that.

I will never have this happen to me, It's up to you decide. I also reside in Chennai. If anything needed can help on that (I am not a lawyer)

3) but you should write to flipkart. as an intermediary, they shouldn't have let this happen.

Thanks. Ill contact FK again.

Hmmm...I don't remember buying a single electronic device on it's MRP lol
Kindly mention the link and the seller you purchased it from.It was probably NOT WS RETAIL.
There's usually at least a minimum of 10% discount on everything because the value of electronics decrease exponentially with time.

No it was not WS Retail. It was some other retailer. Here is the product link, http://www.flipkart.com/wd-blue-wd10ezex-1-tb-internal-hard-drive/p/itmdhgybefghqrtq & the retailer link, http://www.flipkart.com/seller/omshakti/e1082377fd324eb3.

For those who can't find it :
I'm a WD10EZEX user myself so I know how you feel when you can't find one and have to settle for a WD Green.
Anyway,i checked out a few online shops - you can actually import the same drive from Newegg or Amazon - will cost about 1-1.5K extra but worth it IMHO or just go for WD Black.
Amazon.in has one for 4.5k from 6-7 sellers so this should be a good option.

Actually WD10EZEX is available in Flipkart & Snapdeal for around 4K.

Hmmm...suspicious seller..doesn't know how to ship an HDD.

upload_2015-6-25_19-27-31.png

I somehow forgot about Flipkart and Snapdeal lol..it's always Amazon or PayTM for electronics :p
For those buying from marketplaces like these,make sure you check the reviews and ratings of the specific seller and not just the product.
Personally i don't buy electronics online above the 1K mark since most sellers don't know how to ship a product like an HDD.
It might cause data loss in the future - so be careful from where you're buying your devices and have backups as well.

Hmmm...suspicious seller..doesn't know how to ship an HDD.
For those buying from marketplaces like these,make sure you check the reviews and ratings of the specific seller and not just the product.
Personally i don't buy electronics online above the 1K mark since most sellers don't know how to ship a product like an HDD.
It might cause data loss in the future - so be careful from where you're buying your devices and have backups as well.

I too prefer to buy electronics from local shops but if you read the OP then you will know that I visited lots of shops and none had stocks of Blue HDD.

Yes I do check reviews before buying a product from a 3rd party seller. But all retailers had almost similar reviews (both positive & negative) so I went with the retailer with low price. :D

Actually I'm glad that I received the HDD as described & also in good condition.

I started this thread regarding WD dumping Green HDD in India and it has taken a wrong turn. :p

Back