Budget 10-15K smartphone for 3g video calling

sam000

Adept
1. Budget?
A: INR 15K

2. Preferred display size, type and resolution?
A: no idea

3. Preferred operating system? (Android (with version), iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android Kitkat (4.4) and above

4. Preferred connectivity options? (4G, 3G, 2G etc).
A: 3G, dont know about 4g

5. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No preference. Should have good service network

6. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
A: attending clients from overseas through video calls

7. Single SIM/ Dual SIM?
A: No preference

8. New or Used? Online or Offline?
A: New. Don’t mind buying online

9. Any other requirements?
A: no idea

10. If you have already considered a phone, then please mention the model
A: no preference but the phone should be reliable .

S3 neo @11.5k Flipkart . S4 @16k Flipkart/Amazon . S3 neo is a Qualcomm chipset unlike the older s3 which was exynos . But it has no gorilla glass . S4 has . All other 3g video calling phones are mediatek Chinese clones . Micromax , lava , xolo etc . Their service backup and reliability is suspect .

Thanks for the reply guys the samsung S3 neo is even cheaper than my max budget so thats very nice.I really dont know anything about mobile phones i will just make the purchase blindly on the advise given here.Today they gave me a pamplet of same brand samsung E5 and E7 are they any good or should i just buy the S3 neo.

Even the S4 i can buy but flipklart some reviews are saying there are heating issue . so tell me what to buy S4 or the S3 neo Thank you.

Last edited:
The problem with s3 neo is that it might never get lollipop .
I would say that's an advantage. Its any day better to be stuck on a stable 4.4 kk than to be stuck on 5.0 L.

Now there is talk about M, what will M do ? fix the mess that L caused.

My s4 is on lollipop 5.01 .
I've noticed battery life took a hit on samsung, opo, sony when moving to L. Which is kinda ironic when the hype about last year this time is we could expect 30% more battery life it turns out to be the opposite (!)

I would say that's an advantage. Its any day better to be stuck on a stable 4.4 kk than to be stuck on 5.0 L.

Now there is talk about M, what will M do ? fix the mess that L caused.

I've noticed battery life took a hit on samsung, opo, sony when moving to L. Which is kinda ironic when the hype about last year this time is we could expect 30% more battery life it turns out to be the opposite (!)

Agree with @blr_p, compared to Kitkat on S4 I find Lollipop to appear constipated, it doesn't seem to be that smooth, will be moving to LG soon!

E5 and E7 in my opinion would be better than s3 neo as they are newer and would get more updates . Don't go for grand and core models . A series S series (flagship) or E series . Any of the above should fit your native 3g video calling criteria .

I see you have put

"attending clients from overseas through video calls"

Correct me if I'm wrong but it is useless to use 3G for video calls from overseas, as most of the phones even Samsung ones sold outside do not use 3G, I mean the native 3G video calling feature, for this to work both parties need to have 3G and a phone that is able to utilize it, you even need to subscribe so to some specific plan I think, better buy a phone that has better specs and use clients like Lync/Skype/Hangouts

I use 3g video calling in Mumbai Mtnl trump . I do not need to have a data plan and do not need to subscribe to any service plan . I use it when I'm roaming . No data charges apply . Only normal video call charges . I'm a regular user of this feature .

Agree with @blr_p, compared to Kitkat on S4 I find Lollipop to appear constipated, it doesn't seem to be that smooth, will be moving to LG soon!
Hmm, yes LG seems to have managed the L transition better. Not heard too many complaints there.

Which LG were you thinking of ? for the OP the LG spirit looks like a good model and runs L well. Don't know if video calls are native. And at the asking price i doubt it will be updated. So better like what you get because that is what it will die with.

Thing is when you say LG people think of home appliances and not phones.

I use 3g video calling in Mumbai Mtnl trump . I do not need to have a data plan and do not need to subscribe to any service plan . I use it when I'm roaming . No data charges apply . Only normal video call charges . I'm a regular user of this feature .

Yup, video call charges, which for people using Lync/Skype/Hangouts would equate to just data charges

Yeah they have special rates just for video calling, how do you find the latency ?

^^ Just about okay . Mtnl not the best of networks . But serves my purpose being cheap and my alternative network , acting as a fallback .
BTW battery life on s4 lollipop is quite bad . Will try to switch to kit kat .
XDA here I come .
Sorry OT.

Guys the phone is mainly for attending overseas video calls only.Thats the main purpose everything else comes second.
Say you get 3G from BSNL can we make and receive video calls from US ? The max budget is 15K so please tell me which exact phone to get to attend overseas video calls.

Back