User Guides Sleeve your PSUs, DIY Style!!!!

DIY@Home – PSU Sleeving Guide

Introduction:

Cable sleeving is a process where a bunch of wires are wound so that the wires become more manageable. Cable sleeving in our computers is required so that our power supply wires are manageable, wire mess is avoided and the airflow inside the cabinet is improved. The tutorial I have presented here is a simple guide to make your own sleeving, DIY@Home at a much lower price than the ones selling currently in the market.

Stuff Required:

1. One roll of Teflon tape (available at your local hardware store, i.e., plumbing shops)
2. One pair of scissors
3. Cello Tape
4. Plastic ties (incase the PSU fails sometime after the sleeving)

Instructions:

1. Separate the wires into their groups as shown in the picture.

17844.jpg

2. Cut off the plastic ties using a knife or a pair of scissors.

*Warning*
Make sure you do not cut the wires when using the scissors, just snip the head off.
3. Keep the wire in tension, i.e., make sure the wire is held tight. Stretch the wire before and while taping.

17845.jpg

4. Start taping the wires. For the correct method, see the following videos. Always start from the bottom and work your way upwards. Make sure you tape it tightly or else the tape will sag and the sleeves will be in a mess.

*NOTE* You need QuickTime to view the videos. Incase you don’t have them, Click here to download it.

How to Start 3.21MB

Continue to sleeve 3.40MB

17846.jpg

17847.jpg

17848.jpg

5. If the tape becomes bunched, i.e., width reduces; roll the tape loosely on the wires for 1-2 rounds. When the tape becomes wide, resume the normal taping.

110wt.jpg

127zz.jpg

6. When completely taped, use a small piece of cello tape to secure the open edge of the tape.

17849.jpg

083iv.jpg

17161.jpg

17842.jpg

7. All Done :D

15887.jpg

12523.jpg

8. If you do not like the white color, tape a layer of insulation tape of your favorite color on the white layer.

9. This method of sleeving can be extended to other wires in the cabinet, viz the Fan wires, front panel wires, etc.

10. If your PSU fails for some other reason, you can easily remove the tape, just un-roll the tape. Tie a few plastic ties on the wires and claim warranty. Therefore, the manufacturers wont notice anything.
*NOTE* This mod can be done without removing the PSU from the cabinet, I taped my Powersafe PSU without removing the cover or removing it from the cabinet.

Here’s my gold Powersafe in action after sleeving it, kindly notice the number of molex connectors the PSU has in the picture before, and how neat it looks now, and notice the width of the sleeved cable, I have placed my fingernail on one of the sleeved wires.

159fq.jpg

167ca.jpg

Its been more than 7 months since I have sleeved my Powersafe, the sleeving hasnt failed yet :)
Thanks to ImageShack and Rapidshare for free Image and Video hosting respectively :)

Quad Master said:
Is the same tape which i have isnt it non sticky and like plastic which doesnt break.

The tape is called Teflon Tape or Thread Seal Tape. It is used to cover leaks between the threads while screwing in the taps :)

This tape is verrrry thin and is sorta elastic....

hey sunmysore really gr8 guide.......ill try that......btw i c your smps open in 1st picture wont that void your smps warranty....and btw i c 2 disc on your comp....can u give me pictorial view how u connected 2 disc on your comp(via images).....i need to lear that...plzzzzzzzzzzz

Yep!

Its verything.

It should be avaiable from Rs 17 onwards.. ofcourse it could be cheaper/expensive

It will also depend on the width of the tape you use.

You can ask in any Hardware Stores you will get it....

By the way sunnyboi... good work...

reps added..

1/2 inch width, 10 meters long teflon tape costs 12 rupees here. more than enough to sleeve one PSU. will just suffice incase u have a powersafe 500W.

Back