Simplify your PC buying decision!!!

Sei

Skilled
I created a simple help document for novice PC buyers and want to share it with you all!

I'm simply attaching it here since it is a guide/tutorial but mods can move this to another section if they feel the need for it. :)

I would also love feedback from you all with regards to this document. The end user for this document will be

-a person who has familiarity with Windows from a user point of view but has never purchased a PC

-completely relies on the shopkeeper

Thus, the document is very basic in nature. I've completely excluded graphic cards too. This is aimed at folks who have never thought about the computer as separate parts and more so as a single electronic item like a TV, washing machine etc.

The file size (1.25MB) was larger than what is permitted here as attachment. Thus, the links for the same

Simplify the PC buying process.pdf

2shared - download Simplify the PC buying process.pdf

Waiting for your feedback!! :)

Thanks for the feedback!

@ALPHA17 - Unfortunately , it is going to be toned down further when it is released for the target audience since they are totally unfamiliar with technology! :)

RAM: Corsair, Transcend, Kingston,GSkill

Motherboard: Intel, MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS

Hard disk: Seagate, Western Digital

SMPS: FSP, Seasonic, Corsair, CoolerMaster, VIP

External USB drive: Seagate, Western Digital

UPS: APC

Speakers: Altec Lansing, Creative, Intex

Transcend? Asus? Western Digital? Do they really have "good warranty support"?

^Gaurish - Firstly, what I wrote was this -
Given below is a list of some recommended manufacturers who provide good warranty support along with excellent build quality of products
I was cautious during naming companies. Getting good support is highly dependent on the area where you are staying. Apart from that, I also had to give more than 1 option.

Corsair and GSkill are not available everywhere and most people (read non-geeks) haven't heard about both of them (sad, but true). Transcend and Kingston may not be what I or you would buy but most places, people don't have a choice. It is still better that they opt for Transcend or Kingston rather than Hynix or Simmtronics.

ASUS is the most commonly available motherboard brand here in Maharashtra after Intel. Most dealers stock it. From what people have told me, in smaller cities, customers don't even go to service centers. They totally rely on the shopkeepers. Thus, I had to recommend it too.

As far as Western Digital goes, there are good and bad experiences both. Just last week, a friend of mine got his WD 500GB external 2.5" hard drive picked up from his home for RMA and got a 750GB 2.5" hard drive within 10 days.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Great work Sei.

Can you please add the following text somewhere in the Doc.

The MRP listed on the box is NOT the actual price, you can always bargain and get it at a lower price.

I have seen many ppl paying the MRP at lamington road.

Nice article! +1. Only you forgot a few things.

No GPU?

When it comes to RAM, if possible to make a indicator of quality, such as Corsair, G.Skill >> Kingston, Transcend >> Hynix >> Dynet, with corsair being the best, and dynet the worst, please do so.

Also AFAIK, ASUS (Rashi Peripherals) gave me very good service, got the motherboard replaced on the same day, with an upgrade M2N68 AM SE2 --> M2N68 AM PLUS. Have no reason to believe ASUS is bad.

Also, never knew that an Atom was as good as a Sempron. Really?

Back