Simple Linux OS - Web Browsing, Word Processing,etc.

sibot

Adept
Hey,
I'm looking for a basic, simple OS to get my dad started off. He doesn't know much about computers and I feel getting him started off on Win7 would be a bit too much for the beginning, rather, an OS, with a simple UI, for basic web browsing, word processing, etc. would be good. I would love to get him a Mac, since they're much easier to operate, but its too expensive right now.

Any OS in mind? Maybe a netbook OS installed on a PC? Something like this -> Netbook OS | Internet Operating System for Netbooks - EasyPeasy

Cheers,
Sibot

I saw Ubuntu netbook edition sometime back looked nice and it seems pretty good for all basic tasks.

Hmm, thanks, will check it out. But, one major thing is, I do want to be able to access the printer on the network or share files from time to time (that's something I will do).

sibot said:
Hey,
I'm looking for a basic, simple OS to get my dad started off. He doesn't know much about computers and I feel getting him started off on Win7 would be a bit too much for the beginning, rather, an OS, with a simple UI, for basic web browsing, word processing, etc. would be good. I would love to get him a Mac, since they're much easier to operate, but its too expensive right now.

Any OS in mind? Maybe a netbook OS installed on a PC? Something like this -> Netbook OS | Internet Operating System for Netbooks - EasyPeasy

Cheers,
Sibot

Linux mint 8 is the way to go

I don't know about going simple, why not get him some free OS that is still loaded to the hilt like Ultimate Edition 2.5?? It's a derivative of Ubuntu's latest edition but it has pretty much everything but the kitchen sink thrown in. This way, you get a hassle-free experience on Linux without the need to search for and install wireless and printer drivers etc.

I'm looking for something more UI oriented, something like the iPhone, my dad picked up the working pretty well.

So, I was hoping I could get some big icons for programs categorized in a simple manner, something easy on the eyes.

I'll check out MintLinux, I downloaded easypeasy and ubuntu netbook remix, will be giving them a shot.

I want the OS to support file sharing with a Windows Based PC if possible, would be a major ++.

sibot said:
I'm looking for something more UI oriented, something like the iPhone, my dad picked up the working pretty well.

So, I was hoping I could get some big icons for programs categorized in a simple manner, something easy on the eyes.

I'll check out MintLinux, I downloaded easypeasy and ubuntu netbook remix, will be giving them a shot.

I want the OS to support file sharing with a Windows Based PC if possible, would be a major ++.
It's possible and integrated with all starter linux distributions.

Apple spends millions of dollars per month researching/developing/polishing UI paradigms for its products. You won't get it in a free linux distribution (or, arguably, even a non-apple commercial OS). Even if someone copies Apple's UI, the hardware/software integration that Apple brings to the table will be hard to beat, so the first step is to stop hoping for the quality of user-friendliness of iphone.

Now, learning from Apple products, we see that the ease of use is because Apple products are extremely crippled - very low in features. Since you want some advanced features, not your dad, don't clutter your dad's UI because of it. Use a different UI for yourself and your dad. Fortunately, it is extremely simple to do in linux - most distributions.

For yourself: Use any distribution you like. Create a separate user for yourself and set that user to run any UI you like - Gnome / Compiz / KDE / XFCE, there are many more to choose from - plenty of good suggestions in this thread. Since now there is no necessity of extremely simple UI - network printer and file share is not a big deal on any respectable linux distribution.

For your dad: Create a different user for your dad and set it to use lxlauncher - http://lxde.org/lxlauncher. Remove the applications from lxlauncher that your dad does not need. Crippled computer - but minimal confusion. Give him a 1 minute intro how to use the lxlauncher and he will be up and running.

Since it is linux (and not windows), you can even run both the sessions in parallel. ctrl-alt-F7 and ctrl-alt-F8 to switch between them, or you could connect to the computer as your own user using VNC while your dad is using it. Infinite possibilities.

Jolicloud is better than Ubuntu Netbook Remix. However, linux Mint 8 (the regular Gnome edition) or eLive are both are designed for your needs.

I would suggest Linux Mint 8, since anybody will need to play some multimedia files sooner or later, Mint has everything inbuilt, including Flash player. No need to install anything apart from the OS. It is quite easy to use too.

The UI of Ubuntu Netbook Remix would be easier to use. You can perhaps install all the codecs etc. But I'm not sure it'll run on a Normal processor(other than Atom), since the requirements on the Ubuntu website says Intel atom required.

Back