Should Sachin get Bharat Ratna?

Funny thing is, the TS opened the topic and just vanished into thin air. Didn't even try to put forward his point as to why sachin should not get the award.
:confused:

I'm surprised so many think that SRT doesn't deserve the Bharat Ratna. I imagine an Australian or Englishman wouldn't even bat an eyelid if he were told that Sachin has received the country's highest civilian honour. He is regarded today as being the best batsman in the world by everyone, not just Indians. So if the BR has been opened up to sportsmen, I don't see why SRT is undeserving. The term "Bharat Ratna" implies someone who India can feel proud of. & SRT is a world beater, for sure.

Granted, he isn't the only one. So I can understand arguments which say that he shouldn't have been the first sportsman. That is debatable as is the fact that the timing is politically motivated. Also debatable is the fact that the BR has been opened up to sportsmen. Also understandable is the argument that one should receive the award when one is older just to ensure that the sanctity of the Bharat Ratna is not tainted by any misdemeanor. But to say that he doesn't deserve it is baffling.

Yes, cricket is hardly an international sport & is played by 9-10 nations (?). Does that mean that if it were to be played by a 100, SRT wouldn't be amongst the best? Would Bradman have still achieved an average of 99 were he playing in this era? IDK. But what I do know is that he would have been amongst the best. Because achievers always rise above circumstances. Anyway, the point is you have to go by the present situation & not on the basis of intangible comparisons.

Funny thing is, the TS opened the topic and just vanished into thin air. Didn't even try to put forward his point as to why sachin should not get the award.
That means he does not think too strongly about it. Frankly, i've not got an opinion either way. Could not defend either position. yeah, there are points for & against. But could i make a clinching case as to why sachin deserves to get the BR, no.

That really is key, trying to show why he should NOT get it is harder than that.

That means he does not think too strongly about it. Frankly, i've not got an opinion either way. Could not defend either position. yeah, there are points for & against. But could i make a clinching case as to why sachin deserves to get the BR, no.

That really is key, trying to show why he should NOT get it is harder than that.
My question is not actually whether Sachin 'deserves' award or not, its whether he should be given or not. Bharat Ratna is not given to people who have contributed sports. Gov may have changed the rules, but we all know they are just playing vote politics. Like in one earlier link where the article says about hanging Afzal Guru at the time of elections.

I do not have strong opinions about giving him or not, cos I don't see any his contributions other sports. And personally I don't give a two fcuk's about Sachin.

Now all we need TS (is that @avi 's name?) to open a thread asking "Should Tarun Tejpal get the same punishment as the Delhi gang-rapists" for us to have another 10 pager thread.
You can start one, if you want. And yes, don't try to make this personal. Kids do that.

@avi, according to you, what should an Indian do to deserve the Bharat Ratna?
Could you explain in detail with example of such a person if possible?

I do not have strong opinions about giving him or not, cos I don't see any his contributions other sports. And personally I don't give a two fcuk's about Sachin.

Just feel like I've wasted my time reading & replying to this thread then. Feels like I've been sent on a wild goose chase. Shouldn't you have been a bit more careful in choosing your title & opening post? Just a better title like "Do sportsmen deserve the BR?" would've given a better direction to the debate.

O, what am I expecting?!! This is the internet after all & I'm just another sucker....

My question is not actually whether Sachin 'deserves' award or not, its whether he should be given or not. Bharat Ratna is not given to people who have contributed sports. Gov may have changed the rules, but we all know they are just playing vote politics. Like in one earlier link where the article says about hanging Afzal Guru at the time of elections.

I did not see any clinching reasons in this thread that answer your question.

vote politics is another angle, complicates the picture. I don't think politics should have anything to do with BR. This is not to say a politician should not win a BR. See how tricky it is :)

Back